Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

2000 Ford Expedition xlt battery saver relay clicking no start

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 PM
New User

websurfer is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 Ford Expedition xlt battery saver relay clicking no start

Hello everyone,

I have been having some issues with my truck it all started about a monthago when my truck would not start and would have to be jumped all the time. Iwas able to fix this by changing out the battery and the alternator. Since theni have had no issues with the truck.

Yesterday my wife took the kids to school and the truck worked great. Sheparked the truck at home and it sat for 6-7 hours when she went to start thetruck no luck all interior lights came on the radio doors unlocked but nostart. So she let it sit for 10-15 min and tried again this time no interiorlights no radio but a ton of click sounds coming from the interior fuse panelrelay #2

When I got home I ran into the same issue every time the outcome was somethingdifferent the door chimes would work then they would not power locks would workbut then nothing.. No matter what the truck would not start and just continuedto hear clicking sound from the relay #2 which is the battery saver relay. Itried to replace this with the same outcome. Now when i try to do anything ihave no dome lights no door lights no radio and all gauges will go full when itry to turn over the truck but go back down with the same outcome of the trucknot starting.. Tested the battery and have 12.7 checked all fuses andeverything looks normal.

I have been reading for days now and Iím not sure what to do.. I think thismight be a bad GEM but not sure how to test this without replacing it. Andsince my truck will not start I cant bring it to a shop without a tow. Plus I wouldrather try to fix this on my own and save some cash.

The truck also has an factory anit theft system which i have never hadissues with as i only use it to open the doors could this be the cause and ifso how can I disable this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I have all ready started to take the dashapart to pull the GEM and get the part # to order a used one off ebay as a newone is 260.00 and donít want to spend the 260 not knowing if this is the truecause.

fficeffice" />>>

Thank you for your time,

>>

Justin

>>
Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Sounds like a loss of power due to something like a bad or loose battery cable.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM
New User

alloro,

Thank you for the reply.

I tested the battery and cables and everything appears to be in good shape.
I pulled the GEM last night and did not see any type of water damage although i heard these can go bad with out water damage.

I went a head and purchased a used one for 40.00 bucks I have to wait until next week to recive this. At this point im not sure what else to try..

Do you no if the anit theft system kills power to everything if its active? I can try to put the current GEM back in and do some more testing. What would you suggest i try.. The only issues i run into is once i try to start the car the battery saver relay goes crazy and clicks away and makes the glove box lights and the lights under the hood flash with them almost like an alarm would do. But when this happens no dash lights or dome lights or door lights will come on?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Well since you've ordered a GEM, try that before killing yourself looking for another problem that might not exist.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:47 AM
New User

Ok so the GEM did not change a thing same issues. This time i was able to atleast get a better understanding of what is going on.

So here is the break down one more time..

First thing i forgot to mention is that the day before this started thefront breaks were replaced on the truck not sure if this could cause my issuebut thought i might mention it.

Ok so here we go.. After letting the truck sit with the battery unpluggedfor a few days i noticed this time when i first open the door the dome lightsand door lights worked with no issues. When put the key in the ignition i getthe door chime.. If i turn the key backwards everything works radio dome lightsdoor lights all internal lights..

Now as soon as i turn the key forward not even starting the truck the domelights will stop working and door lights.. When i try to start the truck i getone loud click noise from behind the radio and then all hell breaks loose .. thebattery saver relay starts to click like crazy the dome lights flash in syncwith the sound if i pull the key out and let it sit for a few min the clickingwill stop but as soon as i open my door the clicking will go crazy again.. Andthe only way to get it out of this crazy loop is to pull the battery cable andlet it sit for 30min. Then I can do all the same steps again with the sameresults every time..

Could this be caused by a bad starter?

No matter what the headlights will not turn on with the key in any position

I have tried to put the truck in neutral and reverse and still wonít changethe outcome..

I took the battery and had it tested even though its only 1 month old and ofcourse it passed with flying colors.

Not sure what my next steps should be. Do i start pulling fuses?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 PM
New User

After reading some more here.. I think its either the starter solenoid sticking or the factory alarm being set off.

Do these sound like they could cause my issue?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 PM
New User

jmfk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you solved the problem yet? I have almost the exact same issue with my 01 F150 and I'm near the point of trying a new GEM. I've done all the fuse/relay testing I know how to do and found there's a 2+ amp draw somewhere in the circuits controlled by the GEM but can't figure out the source of the draw. My truck also has the anti theft module which I'd like to disconnect or disable it to see if that's the source. Anyone know if it can just be unplugged without consequence?

Thanks, Jim
Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 PM