6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Busted Fuel Injector Clamp?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Between the Egt sensor failures, HPFP issues and the injector clamps coming off I'm going to buy the Extended Warranty which is coming up in September.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the injector clamp thing was new to me. I'm hoping that only effects people who tractor pull with their trucks on the weekends....... Crossesfingers

Old 07-30-2015, 05:22 AM
Big Bob S
New User
This also happened to me while driving 70 MPH in heavy traffic on the Maine turnpike last Saturday. Ford would only replace the one busted clamp. I escalated the claim to ford service and was deninied. The rep thought I wanted the injectors replaced, she did not even understand the problem! I e mailed her back and told her I was just looking for 7 $20.00 parts. I have not heard back yet. Dealer was excellent, but parts are still not available. They found one at another dealer and had it over nighted. They also found a coolant leak at the base of the turbo pedestal and repaired that. I did report it to the feds and have not received a response from them also. This should be a recall, I would think anytime there is a fuel leak under the hood it should be automatic recall! I have a 2011 F-350 and I was not towing at the time. The truck only tows light loads, I have heavier trucks for that.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:45 AM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by IronCobra
Yeah, the injector clamp thing was new to me. I'm hoping that only effects people who tractor pull with their trucks on the weekends....... Crossesfingers

No tractor pulls here, well other than my Kubota 3130 on a trailer. Often our 5th wheel, like your nice package looks.

The clamps don't "come off" I learned, they're a cast metal and either break @ the mounting hole or the tab that holds the injector in.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:43 AM
Big Bob S
New User
So it has happened again after less than 300 miles since the truck was repaired and "inspected" by Ford and I was assured it was all set. This time not only did fuel escape, but engine oil was also leaking. It happened 4 miles north of where the first injector blew out. I felt a large vibration in the truck this time. I did not experience that the first time. Why would I have reason to suspect that this was reoccurring again ? I live in NH and we have a lemon law. I read it and it is on the third time or depending on the situation you can go to arbitration sooner. If Ford will not fully fix this truck, it is worthless to me if I get stuck on the side of the road after driving it for 2 days! Fix it Ford or you will own it again.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
so they had replaced just the one clip before? So a different one broke or the replaced one?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Bob S
So it has happened again after less than 300 miles since the truck was repaired and "inspected" by Ford and I was assured it was all set. This time not only did fuel escape, but engine oil was also leaking. It happened 4 miles north of where the first injector blew out. I felt a large vibration in the truck this time...
I can definitely see how that would be frustrating, Big Bob S. How many miles are on your truck? I want to look into some options to help.

Crystal

Old 08-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Big Bob S
New User
Crystal, Thank you for chiming in . On Sunday when I left the truck it had 24,988.2. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated.

As to the other question. Last Saturday the #4 cylinder injector clamp blew. This Sunday it was either #1 or #2. Same right cylinder bank, but appeared to be a different cylinder.The dealer may not of been able to look at it today but I was able to grab one of the fuel lines and it was attached to a loose injector.

Can any body confirm that the design of this part was changed? Someone mentioned the part number had changed. It is obviously under designed for the load placed on it, thus why it is failing.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:36 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal, Thank you for chiming in . On Sunday when I left the truck it had 24,988.2. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated...
Sure thing, Big Bob S. PM me the details, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll have your regional customer service manager reach out to you.

Crystal

Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
I Physically had these in my hand. The design doesn't look to be an issue, more than likely bad castings, especially as they have a specific cut off date of 12/11/11 for defective clamps. Picture a rocker arm, that's kind of what they look like (other than being cast not steel), center mounting hole and where the push rod would be is what's holding the injector into the head.

Crystal, here's what you can do.
The service bulletin clearly gives the provision for changing them all, The dealers are concerned if Ford calls back the parts and some aren't defective they won't get paid. Just fix that! Bulletin 12-3-4 should be revised, if one goes bad change them all, PERIOD!

Ford diesel loyalty is dropping fast, I'm betting they've lost 2 customers now. They don't even reach out afterwards and say "hey sorry", here, have an oil change on us! Heck, they wouldn't even pay my materials when I found my oil was ONE GALLON over full when the second injector clamp failed. And..we're still fighting for Roadside assistance to pay the RV tow.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by 70amcpwr
...Crystal, here's what you can do.
The service bulletin clearly gives the provision for changing them all, The dealers are concerned if Ford calls back the parts and some aren't defective they won't get paid. Just fix that! Bulletin 12-3-4 should be revised, if one goes bad change them all, PERIOD! ...
I get where you're coming from, 70amcpwr. I don't have the ability to revise technical bulletins or engineering information, but I can document this as feedback. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, and any details you'd like me to include; I'll make sure it gets entered.

Crystal

Old 08-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Big Bob S
New User
Truck is ready for pickup after failed parts where replaced. I am getting conflicting information on what actually failed, but i will stop at the dealership as I am working nearby. I talked with the service writer and the tech who is working on the truck. Ford does not allow compensation to the dealer or the tech to remove the remaining clamps for a proper visual inspection. The bolt holding down the clamp is a torque to yield. Once you loosen the bolt it cannot be reused and must be replaced. Perhaps in my case and 70amcpwr case they would of found cracking clamps and fixed them at that time. I think Ford needs to take another look at the TSB and at least allow the dealer to preform a better inspection if they do not feel that the remainder of the clamps should automatically be replaced.
The dealer did not replace the last 6 clamps on my truck, so I am still not satisfied with the repair nor do i have confidence that the truck will be reliable in the future.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:54 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Truck is ready for pickup after failed parts where replaced. I am getting conflicting information on what actually failed, but i will stop at the dealership as I am working nearby. I talked with the service writer and the tech who is working on the truck. Ford does not allow compensation to the dealer or the tech to remove the remaining clamps for a proper visual inspection. The bolt holding down the clamp is a torque to yield. Once you loosen the bolt it cannot be reused and must be replaced. Perhaps in my case and 70amcpwr case they would of found cracking clamps and fixed them at that time. I think Ford needs to take another look at the TSB and at least allow the dealer to preform a better inspection if they do not feel that the remainder of the clamps should automatically be replaced.
The dealer did not replace the last 6 clamps on my truck, so I am still not satisfied with the repair nor do i have confidence that the truck will be reliable in the future.
Look on the bright side, you're 25% there to a dependable truck. Hopefully for you they fail sooner than later. more than likely when the 3rd one fails they'll replace the rest. BTW, they reused 7 of the bolts on mine as for some reason they didn't come with the clamps.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:43 AM
Big Bob S
New User
I was doing some further research and was trying to locate some additional clamps, dealer said they were getting hard to find. I found 2 on the net and contacted the source. He only had one left and I asked him to look around. He found more at a depot and ordered them. A day or two later the part was put on hold and he said a "D" version would be available in a week or 2 and advised to wait for the latest design.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 70amcpwr
Here's my Three posts on another Forum in regards to my situation.

1) Just lost another injector/clamp on my 11/11 buildate 6.7. TSB was done @ 23k miles when #5 blew on the original owner, now one on the passenger side let go @ 33k miles leaving us stranded on a busy (truck traffic) road, against a guard rail with the left rear dually fender in the travel lane. Put the 4 ways on and walked away (no cell service). Got a ride to the dealer and they'll pick it up. I wonder if it'll still have a left rear fender? Obviously Ford hasn't a clue!

2) Thanks. It should be @ the shop now. They said "hopefully" they'll look @ it today to order parts and get to it next week. The irony, we own a campground and live @ it for 6 months (May 1-Oct 30), my 6.4 had huge issues last April which made me finally get rid of it as it was in the shop for 3 weeks and was effecting us moving all of my equipment to the campground. I purchased this 6.7 to replace it and move the excavator, bulldozer, tractor, etc... . All's been well until yesterday. Next week we are (were?) supposed to move back home! Trust me, camping is fun, but after 6 months you're ready for full size accommodations . It looks to me on the previous repair order the dealer didn't choose the "action" of inspecting and replacing all of the retaining clamps. BTW, I edited the original post, assembly date was 11/11, falling in TSB 12-3-4, not 11/12 as originally posted.

3) I had forgot about this post.

I requested all clamps to be changed upon the last failure as it was the second occurrence and I tow all the time. Of course Ford refused. I said well based on how it's going you'll be hearing from me again.

On our second trip home from Florida since the "1 clamp" replacement towing our 5th wheel I started to get (new Ford terminology I'm coining) "The skip of death" just before the toll booth off of I88 and I90 just outside of Albany NY. The motor gets an obvious miss under load before the failure.

I nursed it all the way to my exit off I87 for Troy and proceeded up Rte 7 East with the Walmart parking lot as a destination. Keeping RPM's up going up the steep grade and (keeping load down) planning the lights right upon approach so I didn't have to stop I thought I'd make it. The last light I had to stop, upon take off the load caused #6 injector clamp to let go which in turn sends the injector out of the motor breaking the return fuel line.

You have about 10 seconds to get off the road and shut down with fuel pouring out before the engine shuts down, if this happens it won't restart (past experience). I checked the mirrors and pulled a hard right into a small plaza and shut it down. If you do so quick enough it will let you restart and run for short times. Which I did to reposition and unhook so the tow truck could get first the truck then the 5th wheel.

This could go on and on. The short of it. Roadside assistance sucked. 6 hours later the truck was 7 miles away @ Latham Ford (they were great) and the 5th @ Walmart thanks to The Ford dealer finding us a tow for the 5th wheel as both AAA RV assistance and Roadside said we're on our own.

Fords procedure is "replace only failed and inspect the rest". Only one failed, the rest "looked fine" with the flashlight peering down in the jammed engine bay.

This time with enough conviction from myself, calling my dealer @ home which in turn called the Regional service Rep, and a willing Dealer they replaced all eight. Unable to be seen upon "inspection" #8 was broken on the bottom @ the mounting hole and would more than likely have failed on the hike up Bromley Mt. (with no safe place to stop) in Vt.

The TSB (12-3-4 I think) clearly gives a specific, to the day, cut off date for this issue. Any motor with ONE clamp failure should get them all replaced, PERIOD!

MAKE IT 4, JUST HAPPENED AGAIN

This time in Florida, all packed up and heading home tomorrow. Coming back from dinner with my 88 year old mother and law and her 94 year old friend in stop and go traffic. Luckily we were close enough to her house so I walked there and got her car. Then waited 2 hours for the tow truck. I think I'd have better luck towing our 38, 5th wheel (new one) with her 2015 Elantra! .

Obviously Ford doesn't have a clue. Look @ the consistency:
23k miles
The last 3 have all been right bank.

Quick Reply: Busted Fuel Injector Clamp?!