Sponsored by: Moser

Gotta to Love Ford's ESP

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta to Love Ford's ESP

I bought the ESP 100,000/5 year policy not the top of the line but next one down as it covered the electronics (we know 90% of these trucks are on a computer board). So I'm at 94K and the truck was getting a little weak running up hills plus I needed to change all filters/fluids anyway. In the shop it went, needed rear brake pads/rotors turned (first time changed at 94K). I told them I heard a ticking sound coming from the engine area. I get a call that I have camshaft problems/timing chain and such. Before the service writer can give an estimate I say that's covered under my ESP, he says I'll get back to you. I got a hold of him later in the day and I'm going to have a zero bill for the work to be done on the engine-Nice. I work report back on the work done and the savings from using the ESP. Chris

Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
WOW...I don't hear of many engines having problems like that with your amount of milage. Good thing you bought the plan...I'm just betting on Ford's reputation so I didn't buy a plan.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:07 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Had one on a '93 Sable. 150%+ return due to trans, a/c and other repairs.

Had one on a '98 Explorer. 200%+ return due to trans, axle and other repairs.

If you are betting on Ford's reputation, you will be buying an ESP.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I think I'm going to investigate this a little further before I hit 36/36

Old 05-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
WOW...I don't hear of many engines having problems like that with your amount of milage. Good thing you bought the plan...I'm just betting on Ford's reputation so I didn't buy a plan.
+1.

Extended warranties are a statistically losing bet; just like car insurance the warranty company(Ford) knows statistically what the odds are of a failure. They figure the average cost and charge slightly more than that, and they make a profit doing so. The OP and 85e150 both won that bet, but most don't.

Congrats to both of you on winning the warranty lottery!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
The service writer rattled off a bunch of stuff over the phone so that's why I'm waiting for the paperwork to list exactly what was done. All I know at this time it's covered. But with that said, I think they want to make sure I'm happy as Wendy's truck was purchased at the same dealership so we are repeat customers. As far as this truck the only other "major" problem was the head gasket done at 50K, again covered. Side note, I bought my first ESP in 1986 on a used BMW 2002 which 60 days out had major engine problems (the tune of $3200 vs a $800 ESP cost-I won there). Since that time I have purchased ESP on stuff like washers/dryers/cars/trucks. Only a couple of times I felt I lost but looking at them all vs the repair bills I could have paid I'm a little better then even. Since these trucks are more and more tech fix instead of under the shade tree, the ESPs that cover the electronics seem to be a good investment to me. Chris

Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Chris Anchor
The service writer rattled off a bunch of stuff over the phone so that's why I'm waiting for the paperwork to list exactly what was done. All I know at this time it's covered. But with that said, I think they want to make sure I'm happy as Wendy's truck was purchased at the same dealership so we are repeat customers. As far as this truck the only other "major" problem was the head gasket done at 50K, again covered. Side note, I bought my first ESP in 1986 on a used BMW 2002 which 60 days out had major engine problems (the tune of $3200 vs a $800 ESP cost-I won there). Since that time I have purchased ESP on stuff like washers/dryers/cars/trucks. Only a couple of times I felt I lost but looking at them all vs the repair bills I could have paid I'm a little better then even. Since these trucks are more and more tech fix instead of under the shade tree, the ESPs that cover the electronics seem to be a good investment to me. Chris
Holy crap Chris! You have some lousy luck, most will make a couple hundred thousand miles out of a 5.4L engine without any mechanical issues whatsoever. I think it's likely that something was improperly reassembled when they put the heads back on which caused your current issue. Obviously the head gasket was covered under your factory warranty, but you're making out well ahead with this repair!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Well, I will admit that I'm not so nice to my truck. I overload/tow to the max sometimes a bit more then specs. I live and play in northeastern Maryland (some nice size hills) and western Pennsylvania (some nice size mountains). Just about everywhere I go is dusty and I was running a K&N oil filter for about 80K (cleaned twice) now back to Ford paper. I will be picking up my truck this weekend and I guess we shall see. Chris

Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hello!

OP, excellent story. You did well with your ESP. It saved your wallet.

ESP is basically insurance for your truck. You pay for it hoping you never need it. When you need it, you are happy you got it. Unless you have some kind of supplement with your carrier, you are just rolling the dice. We all hope we do not have any problems. However when we do, little or no cost is nice in this economy.

Personally, I purchased an ESP on my 2011 F250 since it was a early Job 1 with an early transmission. There is an additional 60,000 miles of coverage in case a problem arises plus it covers longer than the length of the payments. The few problems I had with my Explorer, would have been covered under an ESP. That ESP would have paid for itself. Nothing sucks more than a repair bill on top of a vehicle payment.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Chris Anchor
Well, I will admit that I'm not so nice to my truck. I overload/tow to the max sometimes a bit more then specs. I live and play in northeastern Maryland (some nice size hills) and western Pennsylvania (some nice size mountains). Just about everywhere I go is dusty and I was running a K&N oil filter for about 80K (cleaned twice) now back to Ford paper. I will be picking up my truck this weekend and I guess we shall see. Chris
But that shouldn't hurt it Chris. They put that same 5.4L V8 into Super Duties for 12 years, and many report 200,000+ miles of trouble free service even when worked hard. I do the same to my trucks, the pic in my signature shows 16,000 lbs behind my Excursion.

About the only thing that you can do to cause a head gasket failure is overheat the engine. All other causes are simply manufacturing defects IMHO.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Had one on a '93 Sable. 150%+ return due to trans, a/c and other repairs.

Had one on a '98 Explorer. 200%+ return due to trans, axle and other repairs.

If you are betting on Ford's reputation, you will be buying an ESP.
What he said!!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
I got a call today from the service writer "Your truck is still being worked on as it was more to it then we thought, should be ready on Tuesday" I'm thinking to myself nice, major work and I have to be in Ohio on Saturday to pick up a 5th wheel trailer and haul it 500 miles. I can see that one bolt that was not torqued down correctly flying off on PA 76 at 70 mph and I end up on the side of the road with my d#$% in my hand. So we shall see. Chris

Old 05-24-2013, 04:52 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am slightly concerned about your ticking sound. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I have a faint ticking sound in my truck. Just turned 30K, and I really only use it for driving to work and dragging a zero turn/trailer or the occasional load of firewood. She leads an easier life. Please post the results so I know whether I need to have the dealer look at it. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
My baby is back home. Like the thread title "Gotta to Love Ford's ESP". Estimate on the job just done was $3200 give or take a dollar or two-remember this is at the dealership. My cost zero. Issue "Ticking noise in engine at idle" cause camshaft. It looks like they replaced camshafts #9L3Z*6250 C & D plus 24 3L3Z*6564 BA arm asy value rocker 2 3R2Z*6A257 sensors and three gaskets. Had a bunch of other stuff done while it was there plugs/brakes/fluids/filters all around. Drives great but it looks like I have to break it in again as the MPG was at 13mpg instead of my normal 16mpg. So there you have it any questions I will try to answer but remember I'm the driver not the tech. Chris

PS: The extra stuff I had done was not part of the $3200 estimate the rest was out of my pocket

Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive had a ticking sound in my engine since new when the outside temp is below 55 degrees when idling. I took it to the dealer twice and they assured me it was normal. Should I be concerned now after reading this thread?

Quick Reply: Gotta to Love Ford's ESP