6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Need help choosing the 3.73 or 4.30 axle ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know about price for ordering vs. buying what's in stock, on the lot. Thanks for the info guys.

BTW...$3500 for axle swap? Wow, that's almost double what a couple of local driveline shops have quoted me for swapping both front and rear on my V10. I guess that would be your 'genuine Ford' mark-up.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 AM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not convinced ordering is just as cheap as buying off a lot. More than likely the dealer is paying flooring to keep that thing on his lot until it's sold (incentive to sell there). Additionally, every Ford 'coupon' I get in the mail comes with fine print that says 'must take delivery from dealer stock'. Most of the time the offer is around $2,500 off... That's a lot of coin to walk away from. I do get the concept of not paying for things you don't want though.

As for anyone towing out west, conditions that routinely involve big winds & big mountain passes (read high elevation) I would think you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by not getting 4:30s. Remember, elevation is a 'mother' on normally-aspirated engines, it's no joke.

My 6.0 has 3.73s & at times (pulling higher passes & freeway headwind situations) I wish it had 4:10s (or higher). If I ever buy a 6.2 it will have to have 4:30s no question about it.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rblomquist
I'm not convinced ordering is just as cheap as buying off a lot. More than likely the dealer is paying flooring to keep that thing on his lot until it's sold (incentive to sell there). Additionally, every Ford 'coupon' I get in the mail comes with fine print that says 'must take delivery from dealer stock'. Most of the time the offer is around $2,500 off... That's a lot of coin to walk away from. I do get the concept of not paying for things you don't want though.

As for anyone towing out west, conditions that routinely involve big winds & big mountain passes (read high elevation) I would think you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by not getting 4:30s. Remember, elevation is a 'mother' on normally-aspirated engines, it's no joke.

My 6.0 has 3.73s & at times (pulling higher passes & freeway headwind situations) I wish it had 4:10s (or higher). If I ever buy a 6.2 it will have to have 4:30s no question about it.

It would seem logical that if someone needs the 4.30 gears on a gas engine, why wouldn't you just upgrade to the 6.7 diesel. it has all the lower torque you could need and then some. Better fuel econ and better for towing the heaviest of loads.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I couldn't order my 250 for what I bought it for. The 2 things it didn't have were the brake controller in the dash and 4.30 gears. It's the same price to buy the contoller as it says to order it in the truck. I have the experience with gear sets, so it's actually cheaper for me to install a set than it would have been to special order them.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM
goingnorth
Junior User
I ordered mine with 4.30s but I wish 4.10 was an option as well, I don't really need 4.30s and maybee 3.73s would have done it fine but I think its quit a jump from one to the other. I can understand 4.30s on duallys but I would like a little better mpg's. That being said I would order 4.30s again over 3.73s just wish for more choices.

My truck drives the same with or without the tt. 8k# Mine is not a daily driver except for right now, 2 foot snow drifts between house and highway. My escape ain't gonna make it.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
It would seem logical that if someone needs the 4.30 gears on a gas engine, why wouldn't you just upgrade to the 6.7 diesel. it has all the lower torque you could need and then some. Better fuel econ and better for towing the heaviest of loads.
I can think of 8,315 reasons right away.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
I can think of 8,315 reasons right away.
And those are enough reasons to pay for a supercharger on the 6.2!!!!
I sure wish some people would volunteer to be the guinea pigs and do some testing to see how that would work out!!!!! Me... I am too big of a chicken, I guess! Ha!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
I'd like to see them refresh the body (especially the nose) & add another valve or 2 to the 6.2 motor. I know the latter is beating a dead horse, but I re-read the thread with the FOMOCO 6.2 tech expert last night, & he flat out says doing that would net more power. You have to believe they allowed for this future improvement & I believe it's coming (based on gains made by the competition). IMO, the question is not if, but when.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 AM
DCP
Senior User
4.30s, the 6.2L gas needs all the help it can. I ordered 4.30 with my truck and I'm glad I did.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:56 AM
DCP
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99150
And those are enough reasons to pay for a supercharger on the 6.2!!!!
I sure wish some people would volunteer to be the guinea pigs and do some testing to see how that would work out!!!!! Me... I am too big of a chicken, I guess! Ha!
The PowerStroke is too expensive to own, and too unreliable. I bought my truck to drive, and not have my cab swinging in the air at my local Ford dealership fixing all the PowerStrokes problems. I special ordered my 2014 F350 with 6.2L gas, and I bet I pull more and heavier trailers than the average PowerStroke owner. PowerStrokes work great, when they are running. My brother and many of my friends had nothing but problems with their PowerStrokes. And, many of them when back to gas for this reason.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Big Vic
Senior User
Originally Posted by DCP
The PowerStroke is too expensive to own, and too unreliable. I bought my truck to drive, and not have my cab swinging in the air at my local Ford dealership fixing all the PowerStrokes problems. I special ordered my 2014 F350 with 6.2L gas, and I bet I pull more and heavier trailers than the average PowerStroke owner. PowerStrokes work great, when they are running. My brother and many of my friends had nothing but problems with their PowerStrokes. And, many of them when back to gas for this reason.
X2...

When I looked at buying a 2014 XLT 6.2 late last year, I was lucky if any dealer within a 500 mile radius had more than 1 or 2 on the lot. The best deal I got was either $250 over dealer invoice to custom order one, or $1000 under dealer invoice to buy one off the lot. When they threw in the $5K incentive from Ford Credit, it was a no brainer to buy off the lot.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by DCP
And my point was exactly what you are saying; that the $8300 premium for the PowerStroke would more than pay for a supercharger for a 6.2. How ever; I will take reliability over being first to the top of the hill any day; which is why I have the naturally aspirated 6.2L that gets the job done,
I did install a 5 star tuner, and that is as much for the transmission as for any thing else. The tuner does wonders for this 6 speed auto!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by DCP
4.30s, the 6.2L gas needs all the help it can. I ordered 4.30 with my truck and I'm glad I did.
What kind of weigh do you pull? Your statement sounds to me like you don't feel the 6.2 is capable unless it has more gear????

If I found one with 4.30's I would have wen that route...... And the only reason for a stiffer gear is for when I plan to run 35's

I bout my truck off the lot $7k under sticker so it made sense..... That and I don't pull anything over 10k.

I posted a thread a while back asking who has 3.73 gears with 35 inch tires. I am still curious to know how much the 2" tire change affected the overall towing ability. A gear change is possible but finding that Ford won't warranty the change sucks!

Either way the 6.2 equipped with 3.73's is fantastic IMO. I don't feel that I gotta have a stiffer gear in any way shape or form.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 PM
DCP
Senior User
Originally Posted by Amelio
What kind of weigh do you pull? Your statement sounds to me like you don't feel the 6.2 is capable unless it has more gear????

If I found one with 4.30's I would have wen that route...... And the only reason for a stiffer gear is for when I plan to run 35's

I bout my truck off the lot $7k under sticker so it made sense..... That and I don't pull anything over 10k.

I posted a thread a while back asking who has 3.73 gears with 35 inch tires. I am still curious to know how much the 2" tire change affected the overall towing ability. A gear change is possible but finding that Ford won't warranty the change sucks!

Either way the 6.2 equipped with 3.73's is fantastic IMO. I don't feel that I gotta have a stiffer gear in any way shape or form.
I pull a lot of various traliers around the farm and the biggest one is a tandem dual gooseneck which I'm always overloading my truck's 15,500# tow rating with it. The trucks I drove before I special ordered mine all had 3.73 gears and 6.2L in them. I thought the 3.73 gears made the 6.2L powered trucks kinda gutless and made their transmissions hunt for gears all of the time. I know at the time when I was ordering my truck, 6.2L trucks with 3.73 gears had a tow rating of 12,500# and the trucks with the 4.30 gears had a tow rating of 15,500#.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Powelligator
Tuned

You can still use those coupons you get in the mail on a special order, as long as the dates are still OK. I used one for my truck when it came in, as far as the dealer was concerned the truck was in his "dealer stock" the day it arrived and the coupon was good for another three or four weeks.

I agree with you on the elevations and mountain passes we see out west that folks on this board in the east might not see. So far I've routinely gone over 5,000+ foot passes at 6% grades for miles at a stretch and there's no way I'd want the truck to be saddled with a taller gear ratio.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Need help choosing the 3.73 or 4.30 axle ratio?