Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:38 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I should wander down here more often!! Chris, its painful to read your plans! Toooo complexicated!!!!! It sounds like it'll work if I follow correctly - a drawing would help me understand your design better...

The PSD pumps work fine - maybe even the $38 version (several are using these successfully for WVO at this time). The 'failures' know of are dated, but they involved people using primary-type filters pre-pump and full return to the fuel tank (and typically lack of adequate HEAT for the VO pre-pump) as well as people who let their truck sit for extended periods of time. I have addressed all of these issues with my system by only using a strainer (150mic) pre-pump and looping the return from FPR in heated fuel line (TIH) back to the suction line at the tank (I see 150* oil at the pump - before the primary filter! ). I have even let my truck sit for several weeks and not had an issue with the PSD-type pump (I've been using an Airtex pump). I ran a Raptor (underpowered), then a FASS for awhile - you can have these overpriced POS's. I'll stick with a pump I can replace at any autoparts in the country - RIGHT NOW (or the next AM in a worst-case scenario ). The FASS cost me $125 +shipping and takes at least a week to get back from a 'rebuild'. Not only can I consume $100's in diesel in a week - but I can buy (3) of the 'cheap' pumps that so far have provided a longer service life for me!

The FPR you linked looks OK. I've been using Magnafuel FPR's and don't know of any failures for these. We recently tried a FASS FPR and the NPT fittings all 'weep' - this is a FAIL in my book and I don't recommend it. ORB fittings are best here IMO.

I'm concerned about the anemic 250psi rating of the alum tubing you ordered. I've been using the thicker-wall 3/8" alum tubing from mcmaster (runs about $1/ft shipped). It has a 1400psi rating! McMaster-Carr

I recommend getting rid of the FRX altogether. This 'mod' is overrated and I may even go as far as to say its a dumb idea. Of course, I was around for the 'cackle wars' on the forums that led to this silly idea in the first place...

If you hate the factory fuel filter, feel free to delete it and place an FPR and filter under the cab. Personally, I use that fuel system so little - it would have to have some MAJOR flaws for me to spend time and money to change it. But, it works perfectly fine and does its job WELL - so I wouldn't fool with it. Now, I would consider deleting the factory lines, CV's and stupid vibra-loc fittings - by using SS hoses and bigger (real) CV's right at the filter the way Dave does it at veggiegarage.com Here's a pic: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf

The VO-side then just needs a pre-filter, pump, FPR, primary filter and CV - then a tee and normally-closed 12v valve to bypass the VO-side CV, filter, pump, etc and allow diesel to go back to the VO tank for a FAST purge when ya go back to diesel.

And for those questioning this design - see Mike's truck (F250_superduty) running it and feeding Stage 3 (238/100) injectors to make almost 500HP. This was with a single $38 pump pushing WVO. My recommendation is to be able to turn on the D2 pump at the same time when asking for the most fuel (like the dyno or drag strip) - Mike did not wire his system this way... The rest of the time, flow/volume are simply just not an issue.

Anyway, there's my $0.02. Keep us posted!!! Looking forward to the pics!!!!!!!!!!!