6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Followed a smoker today

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Followed a smoker today

I was behind a 6.4L on the way to the golf course this morning. Riding along about 50 MPH and all of a sudden this guy starts belching smoke like my 7.3 pulling a hard grade. it went on for 15 to 30 seconds and then stopped. He was just cruising at 50. It was ugly. Wasn't black like soot but sorta dark gray and bad smelling. Truck looked stock with a kinda clean tail pipe. Funny part is that his truck was legal stinking up the highway and mine was illegal and running as clean as a fresh snow. I rarely ever make smoke, I mean I have to really jump on it to get any smoke and then it's not nearly as much as he was making.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
got to love it

Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah, the regen bloom, mine used to do that on occasion.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 AM
miker73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I'll admit it I am a smoker it's ugly I know it but I'm trying to quit. Is there a support groop I can join. A magic pill I can take.
No BS what the hell can I do about this, love the truck, but it sucks, I quit smoking and my dream truck smokes a case a week!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Still have my soot bag and i don't smoke at all.

One of these days there has to be a reason so do and some don't.

On a brighter note..my regens lately have been rather short with the warmer weather. I had one that only lasted 4 miles!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by miker73
Ok I'll admit it I am a smoker it's ugly I know it but I'm trying to quit. Is there a support groop I can join. A magic pill I can take.
No BS what the hell can I do about this, love the truck, but it sucks, I quit smoking and my dream truck smokes a case a week!
A little more information is required, how often, is it at the start of the regen, or does it just smoke, I take it you don't have any codes!
BTW I sure would like to quit smoking, I DO smoke more than my truck and have so for a long time, I do need to quit, wish it was easy as a tuner.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
miker73
New User
smokem if u got them

it smokes at the beginning of the exhaust cleaning cycle, I think. the cleaning cycle happens aprox everey 2 weeks, somtime more and can last 30 miles. had it at for 3 times for this concern and they allways say they cant duplicat concern. not DTC light of codes stored. I know its vage but it dose not feel right and is quite inberasing.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
A little more information is required, how often, is it at the start of the regen, or does it just smoke, I take it you don't have any codes!
BTW I sure would like to quit smoking, I DO smoke more than my truck and have so for a long time, I do need to quit, wish it was easy as a tuner.
Nicorret gum worked for me. I kicked a 3.5 to 4 pack a day habit 26 years ago. Just went as long as I could without a smoke then just before I was gonna punch someone or take a sledge to something I would chew some gum. After a week it was easier every day. But that first week was tough.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:23 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by miker73
it smokes at the beginning of the exhaust cleaning cycle, I think. the cleaning cycle happens aprox everey 2 weeks, somtime more and can last 30 miles. had it at for 3 times for this concern and they allways say they cant duplicat concern. not DTC light of codes stored. I know its vage but it dose not feel right and is quite inberasing.
So basically it happens every time it regens, I'd try another dealer,mine did it once, but no more.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Nicorret gum worked for me. I kicked a 3.5 to 4 pack a day habit 26 years ago. Just went as long as I could without a smoke then just before I was gonna punch someone or take a sledge to something I would chew some gum. After a week it was easier every day. But that first week was tough.
I'm just a puss I guess, I never have the ***** to go through with it. I really need to grow some kahonies and just do it.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
Still have my soot bag and i don't smoke at all.

One of these days there has to be a reason so do and some don't.

I did an experiment a long time ago.
I had to put my stock exhaust back together, and I knew it would only be on for a few days. (Dealer said they couldn't diagnose anything with aftermarket stuff.?)
So I poured some diesel into the DPF, on the engine side.
Smoked like a *******.
The DPF seems to be really good at blocking vapour and smoke, thus I have a hunch that any smoke seen out of a DPF equipped truck, is either oil or fuel that has migrated into and past the exhuast filter, and is burning off on the pipe side.

Turbocharger oil leaks are probably causing some...
And then, if the EGR isn't working just right... fuel isn't getting 100% burned, so that could end up in the DPF.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
I did an experiment a long time ago.
I had to put my stock exhaust back together, and I knew it would only be on for a few days. (Dealer said they couldn't diagnose anything with aftermarket stuff.?)
So I poured some diesel into the DPF, on the engine side.
Smoked like a *******.
The DPF seems to be really good at blocking vapour and smoke, thus I have a hunch that any smoke seen out of a DPF equipped truck, is either oil or fuel that has migrated into and past the exhuast filter, and is burning off on the pipe side.

Turbocharger oil leaks are probably causing some...
And then, if the EGR isn't working just right... fuel isn't getting 100% burned, so that could end up in the DPF.
I would then expect the tail pipes to be black. Like a cracked DPF?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 PM
chi6488
Senior User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
I'm just a puss I guess, I never have the ***** to go through with it. I really need to grow some kahonies and just do it.
Sorry to derail but next time you are mentally ready.

Try orange juice to quit.

Quit smoking before bed. First thing in the morning drink about 6 oz oj. Then for the next 3 days sip an ounce or two of oj every hour through the day. Remember to do the bigger amount of oj first thing in morning. You will not get the light headed symptoms.

You just have to fight the habit part of smoking with this method. If you need to do the oj more days then do it.

I quite after 23 yrs and I have tried every new thing to quite smoking. A pack a day , if drinking 2 packs, and if going fishing 3 packs.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by chi6488
Sorry to derail but next time you are mentally ready.

Try orange juice to quit.

Quit smoking before bed. First thing in the morning drink about 6 oz oj. Then for the next 3 days sip an ounce or two of oj every hour through the day. Remember to do the bigger amount of oj first thing in morning. You will not get the light headed symptoms.

You just have to fight the habit part of smoking with this method. If you need to do the oj more days then do it.

I quite after 23 yrs and I have tried every new thing to quite smoking. A pack a day , if drinking 2 packs, and if going fishing 3 packs.
If it works with vodka in the OJ, I'm quitting tomorrow morning !

Old 05-22-2013, 07:07 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
I would then expect the tail pipes to be black. Like a cracked DPF?
Honestly, I don't know.
The 6.4 seems to be good at hiding plenty of secrets.
I don't think I've ever seen such a piece of machinery where the root causes are never actually discovered.

Quick Reply: Followed a smoker today