1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2002 Ford Ranger Wont start even after new starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
jcanavan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Ford Ranger Wont start even after new starter

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger, and it wont start at all. Ive replaced the starter, had the battery checked. Not the battery, took starter out, had it checked too, its not the starter either. Someone said it maybe a fuse? This is totally frustrating, and I need to get it figured and fixed asap. Its been going on for weeks., I had it fixed and then it just stopped. It wont even take a jump anymore. Much Help needed. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
When you say it won't start, do you mean the starter motor won't crank the engine??
When you go to KOEO, do you have the dash warning lights lit????

If you turn the head lights on are they bright & if so, do they & the dash warning lights get really dim, or go out when you try to crank the engine with the starter??

Can you hear the starter relay click when you turn the ignition key to start????

When you say its been going on for weeks, you had it fixed, then it just stopped, what did you do, or have done, that seemed to fix it for a while????

Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM
jcanavan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I hear is clicking sound when I try to start it up. I bought a brand new starter, twice. Everyone I have talked to about this keeps telling me its the starter, but the new one i bought I had it checked out and its fine, nothing wrong with it. My lights come on fine, nothing wrong there. Someone mentioned a fuse? could that be so?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If the clicking you hear is under the hood, near the battery, it is likely the starter relay or solenoid. It is a 'switch' that connects the two large red cables internally to send power to the starter. When you turn the key to 'start', it sends power to the small terminal on the relay. The relay is energized, and pulls a copper bar into contact with the large terminals on the relay. Battery power is directly connected to one large terminal, and the starter is directly connected to the other terminal. Connect the two, and you have BIG battery power available to run the starter motor.
You can use a jumper cable to connect the terminals, BE READY TO DISCONNECT QUICKLY, as you would then supply power from the battery directly to the starter manually. If it is a manual transmission, put the gears in neutral, parking brake on.
If the starter then cranks, you likely need a relay. You can also test the relay by connecting the small terminal on the relay to the battery cable side of the relay. The relay should energize {click} and send power to the starter. The internals of the relay can get worn from use, as every time it is used a BIG arc is made, with sparks and such, and eventually gets the surfaces all burned and pitted. New relays are in the less than $20 ballpark.
Tell us the outcome...
tom

Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
OK, so the lights are bright, you hear the starter relay click when you go to start, to crank the engine, the head lights & dash lights don't get really dim or go out, but the starter motor doesn't run, so I agree with tomw, put the starter relay contacts on your suspect list. If you rig a starter solenoid bypass connection as tomw suddested & the starter will crank the engine, put the starter relay contacts at the top of your suspect list & replace the relay as he suggested.
More thoughts for consideration. Keep us posted on your troubleshoot.