1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

TransGo Shift Improver Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
TransGo Shift Improver Kit

TransGo | AODE, 4R70/75W: SK AODE

Recently had installed a TransGo shift improver kit in a 4R70W residing in my '03 E250. Mileage at time of install was 172,906; as a daily driver it weighs in about 7800#.

While I understand Ford's design of the 4R70W over all is quite sound, that it's a reliable transmission I just don't care for its characteristics; up shfts always seemed too slow, down shifts under throttle equally slow, not very predictible IMHO. TC lock up was a whole new experience, always felt as though somewhat was about to go horribly wrong. Keep in mind most of my auto trans experience has been GM Turbo Hydromatic's and C4/C6's of yesteryear.

The sole purpose was to improve or change the shift characteristics of the transmisson from its stock performance. There were no operational problems per se,

Parts were purchased locally from a local TransGo distributor, less than 5 miles from me. An extra separator plate was recommended “just in case....” and it seemed like a good idea, it could be returned for credit. (Returned for credit, no hassles.) With new filter and pan gasket I had just about $86 invested in parts alone, fluid purchased separately. (FWIW my year does not have the TC drain plug which can affect fluid change volumes.)

I added a drain plug to the pan like the one I use for engine oil: Quick Changer Oil Drain Valve - Unique Truck Equipment. These fittings allow me spill free drive way oil/fluid changes. A bit pricey but a nice convenience. Anyway....driving impressions..............

600 miles into it all, most of that freeway driving and the difference is very noticeable. Normal throttle upshifts are a bit more firm, still occurring at factory-set speeds. TC lock up it takes at least half the time to fully engage.

Passing or overtaking slower cars is much easier now as throttle-induced down shifts are crisp, quick and can be “held” for quite a while. Normally the 1-2 shift is about 15 mph, 2-3 about 35 mph, TC lock up right around 65 mph. With more throttle (partial or full WOT) the 1-2 shift now occurs about 25-27 mph, 2-3 hits about 40 mph and TC lock up still about 65 mph. If I understand the 5.4 motors correctly they like higher RPM's so this modification seems tailor made for the 4R70W---or more to my liking perhaps?

I'll never tow anything so can't speak whether this would be recommended for that---TransGo would most certainly have a few ideas it I'm sure. My amazing trans mechanic says the TransGo kits are the only brand he'll install in this series of Ford transmissions, says they're by far the best suited and less problematic.

FWIW this can be a DIY project but for $125 and no suitable working space it was a no-brainer turning it over to someone with knowledge and experience, 40 years and counting for him.

Feel free to ask questions or make comments---perhaps Mark Kovalsky will add his thoughts too?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM
SilverE350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious why you thought your van needed this. I've heard people mention installing a shift kit when talking towing or loading up a camper, but I'm not sure why they needed one either. What is the benefit?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:37 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
The benefit was improved performance as I described--I thought I'd written enough to explain my reasoning behind having this installed. Maybe not.

While it might seem unnecessary to some so far I've found it quite to my liking. If that's the only benefit its still money spent well. Honestly there was no reason to not do it otherwise my mechanic would have advised against it.

Sorry I can't justify it any further than this.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I like the microtuner reprogram of my 4R100, but yes, the factory transmission shift pattern sacrifices longevity for smoother shifts, during shifts, 2 gear clutch packs are engaged at the same time, this creates heat and wear, an improver cuts the time they are engaged short, which makes a firm/hard shift. Many transmission shops do some tweaking that creates firmer shifts to cut down on wear, the factory doesn't do it so they fail faster, they do it so they're smooth, cater to yuppies!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
No, that's not true.

The 4R100 is a totally non-synchronous design. This means that for every upshift the next gear ratio is achieved by adding a clutch while a one way clutch overruns as the oncoming clutch gains capacity. This is not true for the 4R70W, that has synchronous shifts where a clutch or band has to release as the oncoming element gains capacity.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Mark do you have any thoughts on the TransGo kits----any longevity issues to your knowledge?

(I know I'm asking after the fact but as I say the improvements--whether real or just imaginary---are what I was hoping to achieve.)