1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

1960 f100 first project

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:31 PM
egg collector
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1960 f100 first project

I finally have this picture thing down but not perfect. These are the before pictures any suggestions?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Wash it and drive it, you will know what you really want in a few weeks or months. Good luck, love it.
Cbass

Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 PM
oldebrush
Senior User
1960 f100 first project

I agree with cbass, Drive it, and think while you do. Nice looking 60. I have a lot of work ahead to get my there. Have fun.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
What they said..... I've been owning, fixing and driving old ford trucks for 40 years now. Bought a '29 ford AA flatbed when I was 19 and never stopped. In all that time (maybe 20 old trucks) I have never dismantled one to the frame. I have always been afraid I might lose momentum and then have to sell it as a pile of parts like I have seen so much of over the years. I have done engine rebuilds, engine swaps, a multitude of brake jobs etc. All I'm saying is it's been a GREAT lifetime hobby and a wonderful diversion just doing it one part at a time all the while still driving and enjoying them. I tend to load them heavy, pull trailers for work and all manner of hauling jobs as well. Frame offs are awesome and I love and admire the workmanship I see, but it's just not me. Very cool truck, I am partial to the stepsides, and whatever path you go with this truck, have fun with it! Oh, and welcome!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
In agreement with all of the above. I know you said this was an investment with the intent of re-selling it. Since it has been sitting, first thing is to drain the fuel tank ang clean your entire fuel system, perhaps have the carb gone through, before even starting it.

Likewise the cooling system.

I see many on the roads here used as daily drivers that are in the same condition. In fact, a guy might drive one like that for another 10-20 years before doing any serious body work. That's what I'd call real value vs. buying a new 40K+ truck every 8-10 years.

I know you bought with the intention of selling it, but these trucks will likely never be highly sought after. You would never get back all the money you'd pump into a restoration, so it only makes sense to do this if you will keep it long-term.They are best considered trusty work-horses, the most useful and utilitarian, if not classically beautiful, of all the 50's era trucks. They were infinitely more useful than the preceding two generations of Ford trucks, with their larger engines and hauling abilities.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make it safe and drive it.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great; go thru the mechanic stuff as mention brakes etc; and drive it.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM
a4t1rat
Senior User
If it was me I would clean it up, get it running good, take off the hub caps, paint the wheels, lower it and drive it. As you drive it you will find things you want to change. it looks a lot like the 60 we are doing right now in the dual build thread. Ours will be a old school hot rod, we will be putting t-bird valve covers on it as well as looking for a dual quad of three two intake a pair of headers and that should give it the cool factor. But that's just me heck my license plate is gearhed . Its your truck build it your way and have fun.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM
egg collector
Junior User
Thanks for all the comments. I will make it road safe get tags and drive it until I change my mind.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM
ETC2NA
New User
Looks great. I'm in the same boat. But I know I want mine original.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 PM
egg collector
Junior User
I was told to paint before putting it all back together. And after looking futher I think I will follow that suggestion. After rebuild kit for the carb. it runs smooth with out any problems. I will paint the frame and rear end, put that much back together them have it painted inside and out, replace all window gaskets while the window are out for painting. Any other suggestion.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:19 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by egg collector
I will paint the frame and rear end, put that much back together them have it painted inside and out, replace all window gaskets while the window are out for painting. Any other suggestion.
When taking it apart that far, a good idea, besides just the door and window gaskets, is to replace the serviceable parts in the door like the window channel rubber, vent wing rubber and the window "fuzzies". You can get most of the stuff from Dennis Carpenter, they make superior rubber products , and complete door kits may be available. Those would be a pain in the azz to have to come back and do in a years' time, especially afte a repaint. In addition, there are possibly replaceable plastic rollers in the window regulators. You have a full-on project. Good luck, and enjoy.Steve.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:00 PM
egg collector
Junior User
How time flies, two year and I am just now getting to the welding. What size angle iron along the bed sides for wood floors? Just finished remodeling the house and now it is truck time. I have blasted and painted the frame, new bearings in rear and front, new breaks and hyd clutch redone. Carb rebuild and it does not smoke. Now need the size of angle iron or what ever is welded to the inter walls of the bed. So far still original.
thanks
ec

Old 12-09-2018, 03:54 PM
egg collector
Junior User
Need help

I am getting to the point several years later, in putting my truck back together. The painter is finished and now putting the truck together of course I did not take pictures before removing the steps. What does the top part of the step with the two holes attach to. If anyone has picture that would even be better; The truck had six coats of paint and the blue had so much hardener it was really tough to get off. I'm leaving the 223 in and taking the points out while trying to go back as much original as possible. When I say original I am replacing the handles inside and out with new hardware for a 1960 step side custom cab. I found two donor trucks along the way and robbed several parts along with the internet collected several good used parts. It would of been less expensive to buy one finished except with this one I know for sure what has been done. Thanks in advance and will add pictures as I go.
ec

Old 12-09-2018, 04:01 PM
egg collector
Junior User

I am not seeing the attachments, can anyone see them.

ec

Quick Reply: 1960 f100 first project