6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Intelligent Oil Life Monitor

Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Intelligent Oil Life Monitor

Went by the monitor system and had 7,000 miles on the oil, which seems unnatural after changing the oil in trucks at the 5,000 mile mark every time. Anybody else having the feeling when using the oil life monitor on their truck?

This is what Ford says.
http://owner.ford.com/Storage/Common...IOLM%20FAQ.pdf

Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi,

Oil is the blood of the engine. I would stay with a 5,000 mile oil change. That seems to be the happy spot for oil life based on the usage of the truck. However, and by all means, if you like the look of the oil at 7,500 maintain the same schedule. Reading the FAQ is pretty open to several different options. What I got from it is Extreme climates no later than 5,000 miles. High load or towing no more than 7,500 miles. Everything else you will be fine to 10,000. No need for 3,000 mile service unless in extreme use.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The 6.2L 2-Valve V8 Gas has a "Oil-minder system"

The 6.7L V8 Turbo Diesel "Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor"

I don't know if I would go that many miles on an non-intelligent system and that information you linked is for the intelligent system

Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
FordmanNJ, I know what you mean and I think like that as oil is the blood of the truck. My 5 previous trucks, 3 where bought new and the other 2 had 20K on them, all have or had 225k miles when I purchased the next one. So I figure as a rough estimate that the I have laid on my back at least 225 times changing this blood, or once every 3-5 weeks. I believe that oil has come along way for extended changing as long as you get it tested (Black Stone or similar Co.) once in a while. I've always used MC filters and MC oil, warranty reasons and with these many miles if it works why change it. Until now, I'm going to try a full synthetic oil and track the miles between changes and have a sample or 2 done to make sure the oil isn't broke down before it's changed, plus see if it's cost effective/ time savings.

ATP Pilot, Yes the earlier gas models are the reminder system, I thought I came across sometime in '11' the gas trucks got the IOLM and '12's and newer all do. I'm looking to see where I saw that.

This is from the "Ford",

One Smart Feature – Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ (IOLM)
With the IOLM, there’s no more guessing when your vehicle needs an oil change.
More than likely, if you stayed on top of your required maintenance duties, you’ve changed your oil every 3,000 or 5,000 miles. With the introduction of the IOLM, now you’ll be able to take your vehicle in for an oil change based on actual operating conditions.
What the IOLM measures to determine when an oil change is needed

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
Hours in operation and at idle
Oil and coolant temperature
Engine speed and torque
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.
The frequency of oil changes

Depending on driving conditions, oil change intervals are approximately:

Up to 10,000 miles - Normal commuting with highway driving
5,000 – 7,500 miles - Trailer tow/high-load driving
3,000 – 5,000 miles - Short trip usage, extreme cold or hot temperature

NOTE: Actual mileage will depend on your specific driving conditions.

Under normal conditions, you will get an OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message at up to 1 year, or 10,000 miles from the previous oil change.
What the IOLM tells you

You’ll find a display in your instrument cluster’s message center that will notify you of oil change intervals by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED. The system will also indicate when fuel filters need maintenance, or if fuel pressure is low.*

*Refer to owner’s guide for specific applications.
Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you do use synthetic oil, it needs to meet the Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in the owner’s guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM.
Vehicles that will get the IOLM

The IOLM will be available on most vehicles under 8,500 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and the all-new 2011 model year 6.7L Power Stroke® Diesel on the Super Duty® model. That translates into over 90 percent of the 2011 model year Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles sold.

For in-depth details about the IOLM, please refer to your owner’s guide and diesel supplement.

Motorcraft® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How often should you have your oil changed?

Ford Motor Company generally recommends getting an oil change every 7,500 miles or every six months for 2008 and newer model year vehicles, whichever comes first, or every 5,000 miles or every six months for 2007 and older model year vehicles, whichever comes first.

However, you should change your oil and filter more often – every 5,000 miles or every six months for 2008 and newer model year vehicles, whichever comes first, or every 3,000 miles or every three months for 2007 and older model year vehicles, whichever comes first – if you do any of the following:

Tow or carry heavy loads
Idle or drive at low speeds for long distances
Drive in dusty conditions
Drive off road frequently
Use E85 fuel more than 50% of the time

If you have any questions about the recommended oil change intervals for your specific vehicle, be sure to check your Owner's Manual.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
ATP Pilot you where right, I must have misread when researching. Thanks for the correction.

Videos About Your Vehicle

I'll defiantly do an oil sample check know to get a rough base line down for the changes.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you look at the 2013 Super duty brochure under the TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS powertrains, it list the two types of OLM