1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT auto canopy

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:31 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OT auto canopy

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has an opinion (LOL) on car enclosures. I want to keep my F1 out of the garage which I use as a work shop for projects other than the truck since it's pretty much done. I've looking on line for a enclosure with a metal frame with a zip up door. I've seen some on line, look ok, but I wonder if they would go airborne in heavy weather. Not sure how they are secured to the ground/driveway. I can't put holes in the driveway cement because it's old and thin and would probably crack. Thanks for any advice in advance. Thanks

Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Another line of thought might be a good car cover .I have seen some that are weather rated . Just a thought .

Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I would think a lot would depend on what local, if any zoning restrictions you may have. I've seen the metal framed, steel covered carports with the auger type mounts screwed several feet into the ground. Same type tie downs used with securing mobile homes. They would cut out a section of concrete, screw the auger in and bolt the steel frame of the carport to it. I had one of these installed on our FL property many years ago, used it as a tractor shed.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Not knowing anything about your lot or existing garage, it may be just a little more than a tin shed to add a lean-to onto the existing garage. As long as you go with a 4" slab, no big electrical additions, and a simple roofline, costs can be pretty low. Code-friendly too.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I've used California car covers made from a fabric called "Noah" (1 of several fabric choices they offer) for outdoor storage, highly recommended. Very weatherproof, breathes so no moisture buildup, doesn't damage paint, stays in place. Light enough to cover/uncover single handed.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:08 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a cover, but it wasn't the quality Ax mentioned. I'll check into it. The problem is the empty space over the bed which fills with rain and snow and the weight pulls the cover up from around the rear fenders and bumper. The ends of the bed rolls started to wear right away, so I made a pvc pipe frame with plywood to sit in the bed to support the cover. That worked, but it was a pain to take in and out and because the cover wasn't waterproof enough so the bed wood got wet and sat that way for the winter. Now the bed needs some refinishing. I'll check into how waterproof that Noah material Ax mentioned is. Probably the easiest solution. Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:42 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
I use a large blow up ball in my pool to keep the winter cover up . That should work in the bed of a truck also .

Old 05-19-2013, 05:04 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
The Noah fabric is designed to be weatherproof. Mine have gone through near hurricane rainstorms, ice storms, snow, 106 degree temps. Just shook cover and ice and snow slid off. A couple blown up inner tubes in the bed might be easiest to deal with, light weight, throw a rope thru them to secure them to store when not using, and/or put the tailgate down and park where the front of the bed is higher than the rear. California covers will make a custom fit cover. I've had them made with a pocket for a non retracting antenna, for custom side mirrors. My 2002 Celica was one of only a few without the factory rear wing, they even made me one for it without the wing pocket.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I use a large blow up ball in my pool to keep the winter cover up . That should work in the bed of a truck also .
Yeah, I tried that and the water collected around the ball. Maybe I need a bigger ball...that didn't come out right

Ax, I'm sold on the Noah cover, but I think the inner tubes would cause the same problem as the ball. Thanks for the suggestions

Old 05-19-2013, 06:07 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a Shelter Logic "garage". It's fine for my uncle's boat and ATV, and it's survived one of the crappiest Winters/Springs we've had up here in recent years. (Northeastern, MN) It anchors with augers, but since I'm on MN clay, I just used extra long tent pegs, and lined the sides with railroad ties over the bottom of the tarp section. You can buy a vent kit, which I plan to do in the future, once my uncle gets his stuff gone. Meanwhile, it does create condensation on the inside, plus any snow melt and frost, will make its way in there.

What I'd like to get for my tractor is a metal shed like you see in the Menards parking lots to house there carts. I would think the price would be about the same in the end.... about $800

Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Yeah, I tried that and the water collected around the ball. Maybe I need a bigger ball...that didn't come out right
Yes , bigger is better

Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Thanks Havi, I googled shelter logic and this one very inexpensive and about the same price as the Noah cover. Is this what yours looks like? I live in a subdivision, don't have much room. ShelterLogic 10 x 20 Max AP 8 Leg Canopy with Enclosure Kit - 23529

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I built a nice lean-too/shed roof against the workshop. The Model A fits in there very well with room to spare. The F1 is as long as the lean-too but in all fairness I really built it for the Model A and didn't have the room to make it bigger without getting the project more complicated. I've probably got $700 in it all total which I consider cheap for a permanent structure that will shelter one of my vehicles. I also have some of the covers that Ax mentions and I am very happy with those as well. Got a big one for the Galaxie and got one for the Model A before I constructed the lean-too.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Make a saw horse for the bed, to put under the cover. Carpet the top, so it doesn't tear the cover. I've seen alot of boat guy's do that to their fishing boat's summer and winter.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Thanks Havi, I googled shelter logic and this one very inexpensive and about the same price as the Noah cover. Is this what yours looks like? I live in a subdivision, don't have much room. ShelterLogic 10 x 20 Max AP 8 Leg Canopy with Enclosure Kit - 23529
My Sam's club sells those "portable garages" this time of year, and Northern Tool often has a sale on them. IMHO the ones I've seen the nylon fabric covering is not very heavy and likely would not last more than a year of continuous use. They do make a good temporary shelter for parties (my brother has two of them, they go up in about 15 minutes with two guys) and a servicable outdoor spray booth (cover the ground with one of the blue or green plastic tarps and turn it up the sides before pulling the vehicle inside.)

Quick Reply: OT auto canopy