2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible 2006 F-150 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM
wolfy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible 2006 F-150 Purchase

All:

I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. Anyway I am looking at upgrading my truck to a 06 XLT 4 big door truck.

2WD, 5.4L

The truck has 98K miles on it. It was a one owner. By the looks of it, it hasn't pulled much or hauled anything.

I had a chance to go for a quick drive and it rides, drives, shifts like it should. The price is great I think at 13K. That is what they have it listed at so I know I can get them down. It needs new tires, and it has a small wear spot in the drivers seat. Other then that it's in nice shape!

I just was wondering besides the normal maintenance things, what should I look out for in this truck? I thought I read something about cam phasers...?

The engine is nice and quiet, smooth. I can hear the injectors and thats it. What about the spark plugs? Should I make them change them?

Any other issues, like rust problems on the body of these years. I haven't seen any around here, Kansas, with any rust on this style, unlike my 91

I guess are there any crazy quarks or small issues that I should look out for?

Thanks fella's I hope I gave you enough info about the truck. If I get a chance I will get some pictures up tomorrow. Thanks again

I'm excited about this truck. With a growing family the double cab is a must!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
hcbph
Senior User
Truck list

I have an 07 Heavy Half so this is what I'd look at:
If it has the original plugs, have a tuneup done before you buy it - 2 piece plugs and they can be a problem if they separate while removing them.
Check for water leaking in the cab, some had leaks that put water into the cab channel
Look for rust on the bottom inside of the doors
Look at the bottom of the inside of the front fenders by the door - I get ice buildup in winter
Check the brakes and rotors for condition - that has 1 piece rotors in front and can get expensive to replace or look into the Centric's 2 piece upgrade.
Find out the maintenance records on it and where done. There have been issues with some oil filters breaking down and plugging the cam phasers causing problems.
Check all the fluids like ATF, brake, engine oil for color and any aroma's that don't seem right.
If that pigtail for trailer hookup is in then they have done some towing with it
Small things like that rubber piece between the cowl and front fender deteriorates over time.
There are some nice seatcovers available, so unless it's alot of damage I would use that as a bargaining point, same with the tires.
Look for things like oversize tires, lifts etc. If not done right, they can cause issues.
Look for any apparent body repairs.
If that looks good and it drives right, I'd then consider getting a Carfax on it and then have a mechanic you trust check it over.
That's my short list.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM
wolfy
Senior User
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I did get a better chance to look it over.

1 issue was a shudder or cut out at 40-45 MPH after the TC locks up. Give it gas and it will cut just a bit or hesitate. Nothing big, my bet is the spark plugs or coil. Deal is contingent on fixing this issue

The spark plugs are original, they are replacing those for me now. Free for me!
They are changing all fluids, everything! All fluids looked ok, I just wanted that to be part of the deal. So it is. Free for me of course
It does have the trailer wiring harness. A line-ex bedliner will be sprayed in in a few days when I get the truck. They are doing all the work on it as we speak. I should take delivery tomorrow or Saturday.

Im pumped!

Tires are about shot maybe 5k left, so I am getting another 600 off for new ones of my choice.

Anyway Truck is 2wd power locks doors, and cruise.
98K miles.
Price was Under $12,000. I think I did alright. So after trade, taxes and everything total price was $10,101.

Here are the pics.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM
wolfy
Senior User
Well fella's I got the truck! They changed the plugs, broke 5 of them. They were original and very over gapped. They were shot. They also flushed every fluid!

That little miss at 40mph is gone now as well. I also had a linex bedliner sprayed in. And wow they do great work. Ill try to get some pictures up soon.

So far I am loving the truck. The V8 sound and power and the huge cab is perfect!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM
wolfy
Senior User
So after a week or so with the truck. I just love it. It is so nice having the space. I can easily put my son in and head off. My wife loves it as well. I missed having a V8, the sound, torque and feel. Really after making the dealership do all the maint stuff on the truck not much is left.

I have new shocks on their way. Went with bilstein's as I put them on my T-100 and they were awesome! Just went with the stock height as I didn't want any lift. Can't wait to throw these on as the original ones are ok, just not great. And at 98k miles they are shot I think at least. New tires will be the next thing. These have maybe 5-10k left on them and they will be at the wear bars.

Also put in a new head unit. I went with a DVD unit, as it was the one on sale and had Bluetooth and nice integration with my phone. Also put in new speakers all around. Some components up front and basic 3 ways in the rear. Talk about a night and day difference in the sound!

Not sure on the MPG's yet, as I am still on my first tank. I have about 400 miles on it and still have 1/8 or more left.
Eventually I would like to get a programmer for it. I have been reading a bit on here and am looking at the edge CTS or something like that.

Some other minor things I am going to look at soon would be the sway bar bushings and end links. That made a big difference in my old truck.

Here is the new stereo!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM
wolfy
Senior User
Well. I made my first road trip. Awesome family hauler. Very comfortable even with worn out tires... A couple of impressions.

425 miles recorded and 26.5 Gallons of gas used. 16 MPG. Had a nice 20-30 MPH head wind the way there and practically zero wind on the way home. Now my speedo is about 5 MPH off, or reads 5mph slow at 70MPH. Verified by my GPS.
So saying that I was actually going 75MPH that would be 75/70 = 1.07% off. 425*1.07=455 miles would yield 17.2 MPG.
This is on old tires. 275/65 R18 stock as far as I know.

Now on to some fun stuff. I got new tires today and what a difference night and day. Truck is 100% quieter and smoother riding. I got Firestone Destination LE 2's. Best tires I have ever owned. Had them on my old T-100 for a while before I traded. I would buy them again and again.

Also had an alignment, it was quite a bit out.
Had new shocks and struts put on. Bilstein's stock ride height. Replacing the originals. Much much better. Truck is nice and tight and the ride is perfect now. So much better. I had new top bearings put on the struts as well.

Order Details
Qty Product Price Extended
2 24-107617 F4-BE5-A761-H2 Bilstein Ford F150 and Expedition
Item: 24-107617
$86.75 $173.50
2 24-107624 F4-BE5-A762-H2 Bilstein Ford F150
Item: 24-107624
$67.95 $135.90
Sub Total $309.40
Discount Code (MAYPLUM) - $10.00
Shipping (Ground) $0.00
Invoice Total $299.40

Next coming in the mail tomorrow is the Edge CTS.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Smile

Looks like you made a great deal ....
.... love white when they are clean!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Good buy it seems. My '06 is still "almost new" and very reliable at 145k miles. It's all in how you care for them.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM
wolfy
Senior User
Thanks a lot fella's. The new struts and shocks and tires really made this truck feel new again. It wasn't bad before, I am just really particular when it comes to handling.

I couldn't believe the deal I got. This truck is just awesome to drive around. A lot bigger then my 96 T-100, but that was the point! I can easily get my 2 year old son in and out. Plus with another kid on the way the old truck wouldn't cut it.

Best part is my wife loves it. We drove a 06 Tacoma for a few days with a double cab and it wasn't near as nice as the ford. Much much smaller inside. Those tacoma's are nice and all the ride is just vastly different then the big ford. The suspension is just very busy and jittery. Its a small truck that is to be expected. Plus it had 35K more miles it was 4x4, much smaller and about the same price. It needed new rear springs, wheel bearings and all fluids plugs and struts and shocks.

Well I wasn't home when Fedex tried to deliver the CTS so I will pick it up at their store today.

Really my only complaint on the truck is the drive by wire or lack of throttle cable. That and the dip in RPM when downshifting on certain speeds. But from what I have read that Edge CTS will cure all that and more!

The next major thing I would like would be leather. Katskin installed should be around $1300. I will have to wait on that one

I'm glad I found this place years and years ago. You helped me out with my 91. And now with the 06 and the spark plug issues. Glad I had the dealer take care of that! Without this place I would have thought it would have been normal routine maint...

Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 AM
wolfy
Senior User
Well I installed the Edge CTS and wow its awesome! It is true what I have read here. This really wakes up the truck!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-cts-wow.html