Sponsored by: Moser

5 star tuning, afe intake and roush exhaust first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM
F150guy777
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 star tuning, afe intake and roush exhaust first impressions

Earlier last week i installed roush exhaust on my 2012 5.0. People may complain that it has to much drone and you cant carry on a normal conversation at highway speeds. That is far from true. It is a loud exhaust system thats no lie, but its not over the top. Its defiantly worth every penny. Today i installed the 91 octane performance / tow tune from 5 star. It is so much better than the canned tunes that come on programmers now a days. In my opinion everyone should have this tune in there truck. Also i will be posting videos within the next week of the exhaust system in action

Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by F150guy777
Earlier last week i installed roush exhaust on my 2012 5.0. People may complain that it has to much drone and you cant carry on a normal conversation at highway speeds. That is far from true. It is a loud exhaust system thats no lie, but its not over the top. Its defiantly worth every penny.
Are you anywhere in Michigan? If so, I'll be glad to let you drive my '12 5.0 with that noise maker of a Roush. Biggest disappointment in an exhaust system I've ever had. My 7.3 stroker with 4" straight pipe had less drone.
On the flip side, I'm glad you like it, just not for me.
I suspect that "sound" is a subjective issue, what some like, others don't. Evidently, you've read my posts about my experience, and I simply reported the results of it.
I hate liver, you might like it. See what I mean ?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM
SabreFX4
Senior User
I agree completely...the Roush exhaust is great! Just picked up my 2013 yesterday. I installed the Roush exhaust at the dealership before bringing it home. Yep it's loud when you're on the throttle and for me at least does have a small drone zone between about 64 - 67 mph in 6th when cruising with the cruise control set....but I love it! When cruising in 6th and out of the "drone zone" it is very quiet and quite comfortable....conversation is normal and easy inside the cab. At idle or just lightly manuvering around, it has a deep rumble that is just perfect. Everyone who's heard it thinks it's fantastic. Jump on it and everyone knows you're around! LOL

I also installed the Roush CAI once I got it home....neither the CAI or the exhaust require a tune change. After break in of around 2500, I'm going to put in a new tune from JDM Engineering.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:59 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Sabre, nice looking truck. I see you don't have a cap on yours. It has been suggested that possibly my cap is amplifying the drone. Maybe, maybe not. Once I get some time to breathe something other than diesel fumes and sawdust, I plan on taking my cap off and see if it makes a difference, that is unless I change out the Roush muffler, which is identical to my stock resonator, with a different setup first.
Seems I remember, without a search, that Roush also had a dual setup. Do both of you have the single in/out, with the dual tips?
My drone is very pronounced at 1850 rpm and up, that relates to 70=73 mph in 6th, with a steady throttle, cruise. At 60, it's not as bad.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM
SabreFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnday
Sabre, nice looking truck. I see you don't have a cap on yours. It has been suggested that possibly my cap is amplifying the drone. Maybe, maybe not. Once I get some time to breathe something other than diesel fumes and sawdust, I plan on taking my cap off and see if it makes a difference, that is unless I change out the Roush muffler, which is identical to my stock resonator, with a different setup first.
Seems I remember, without a search, that Roush also had a dual setup. Do both of you have the single in/out, with the dual tips?
My drone is very pronounced at 1850 rpm and up, that relates to 70=73 mph in 6th, with a steady throttle, cruise. At 60, it's not as bad.
I'd have to agree that it's "maybe, maybe not" until you actually take it off and see what happens...will be an interesting experiment. I can understand why someone might suggest that the cap creates another chamber to pick up and amplify the exhaust sound. On the other hand, it could all be hooey. Really no way to know until you try it out.

I believe Roush does have some dual exhausts, but they only fit up to 2008 models. Mine is a single exhaust, split into the dual tips just prior to the rear bumper. As I said, I have a small amount of drone from 64 to 67 mph...below or above that it is quiet. quite comfortable and hardly noticeable from the front seat area. After making the investment in the Roush exhaust, I hope you can get it worked out to where it's suitable for you!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Ya, I'll get it worked out one way or the other. I'd like to keep this system if I just change out the muffler and it cures it's ills. I've got $600 in it for just the materials. Quite a chunk of change to just do away with.
We both have the same system, but something else I just noticed, you have a Screw, and mine is a Scab. That "could" be the deciding difference.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
When you guys say "drone" are you talking about a harmonic drone? If so, you do know that a "drone" will be present from the time the truck is started, until it is shut off since a drone is a continuous or repetitive background sound typically used in music. I think you're talking about a harmonic overtone that blends and merges and becomes a tonality at a given RPM... Just curious. If so, that would be caused by tire noise and the exhaust emitting similar frequencies...so, YMMV based on tires, etc.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
When you guys say "drone" are you talking about a harmonic drone? If so, you do know that a "drone" will be present from the time the truck is started, until it is shut off since a drone is a continuous or repetitive background sound typically used in music. I think you're talking about a harmonic overtone that blends and merges and becomes a tonality at a given RPM... Just curious. If so, that would be caused by tire noise and the exhaust emitting similar frequencies...so, YMMV based on tires, etc.
Slap me if I'm hijacking. I'm not sure what you're saying. My tires never made a discernible noise. My exhaust does. I'll chance and say it's like a low, very loud, hum. I'm assuming harmonics plays into it, as in it certainly is caused by vibration. I likely sound like an idiot, but like I said, I don't understand what you're saying.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
SabreFX4
Senior User
I suppose that "technically" it would a type of harmonics, where the velocity and intensity of the exhaust through the metal muffler and metal pipe of the exhaust, in conjunction with the turns in the piping and the back pressure, find a sweet spot where it resonates perfectly....or imperfectly for us....as the case may be. It's all in the exhaust though and has nothing to do with the tires or wheels. I would suggest that the term "drone" or "drone zone" was coined because of it's relentlessness when one drives and/or sets the cruise control in the sweet spot where it's most intense.....as in "it just drones on".

Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 PM
earleb
New User
I have a 2010 5.4 with a similiar system and problem. I went with LT stainless headers and a true dual exhaust with hi flow cats. The sound is awsome but a little loud. I drive 200 kms round trip to work daily. The drone is most noticable at highway speeds when you are just cruising. Anything above or below is fine. Mechanic suggests that there are mufflers that can eliminate this. They are designed for SUV's where the noise would be more pronounced in the back seat area. I have loaded up my box with dirt to take to the cabin and there was no change in the drone. I am actually getting used to the sound and am not yet ready to try the new mufflers.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
The cap off the truck made quite a difference, but it's still pretty bad. Next is to remove the drop in plastic liner, and replace with a sprayin liner. After that, who knows, likely another high buck purchase.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This came up in a search and some of you might find it useful.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...solutions.html

The human ear finds some sounds to be more disagreeable than others. The trick is to stay away from the sounds that bother us. For example, when the 7.3L injector was being developed the engineers knew the engine would have a loud clatter so they spent a lot of time modifying the shot pattern so the noise wasn't "offensive" to the human ear. The end result is a clatter that is still loud, but not nearly as annoying as it could have been. I think that's what you're wanting from your exhaust system - authoritative sound without the sounds that are bothersome to the ear.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
You hit the head right on the nail there, you did. Exactly what I'm after. I don't really want to spend mega bucks to find the solution. As it is, I've got a couple leads on some high performance shops down around Detroit, that seem to be able to build a custom, one off system. I'm not looking for much in the way of hp or mpg gains, just the sound of a good running 5.0. My quest for the perfect system may bear fruit, someday, soon, I hope!!LOL

Old 05-27-2013, 05:28 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I get this noise from my passenger side when I stand on the go pedal. Now mind you, I'd never liken my bride to a drone but it becomes a bit irritating at times. I couldn't resist John. Sorry buddy.

Has anyone researched this forum on FTE? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum65/

Old 05-27-2013, 06:47 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I get this noise from my passenger side when I stand on the go pedal. Now mind you, I'd never liken my bride to a drone but it becomes a bit irritating at times. I couldn't resist John. Sorry buddy.

Has anyone researched this forum on FTE? Exhaust Systems - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Same here Tim!

Quick Reply: 5 star tuning, afe intake and roush exhaust first impressions