6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Titan Plastic Fuel Tank

Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
wmiller5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titan Plastic Fuel Tank

My 2013 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 is being built this week and I just ordered a 50 gallon Titan fuel tank to have installed upon its arrival. Does anyone out there have an opinion on adding the off-highway sheild to the plastic tank? I'm not a big off roader and will mostly be pulling our 35' 5er. I'm leaning toward not getting it but I'm on the fence. Thoughts?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 PM
rob92761
Senior User
i have a titan 50 gallon and did not put the sheild on. Imo it was not worth the extra money. and if i hit something that hard to put a hole in it the is going to be alot more damage than just the tank.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 AM
rgreentmcs
Freshman User
I didn't add the shield and there seems to be a lot of clearance. You can always add the shield later if you're concerned about it.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guess I need to look into something like this ...
either an underbed replacement or in bed supplemental tank - which one will be best if I have a 5th wheel hitch ?

I got a LOT of ribbing from my long wheel base buddy towing our 5ers last week.... he would even go so far as to just pull of and park on the road to wait on us to fill up How embarrassing !

With the 26 gal tank we can easily go 250 miles which is usually further than the wife's bladder, but nice to have more when we can go further

What's the final installed cost and any issues we need to watch out for ?

thanks in advance !

Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM
rgreentmcs
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
either an underbed replacement or in bed supplemental tank - which one will be best if I have a 5th wheel hitch ?

I got a LOT of ribbing from my long wheel base buddy towing our 5ers last week.... he would even go so far as to just pull of and park on the road to wait on us to fill up How embarrassing !

With the 26 gal tank we can easily go 250 miles which is usually further than the wife's bladder, but nice to have more when we can go further

thanks in advance !
Mine was about $1300 installed, on these tanks it's important that the installer follows the instructions exactly and torques everything down. The Transfer Flow tanks might sell for a little less but if it has to be shipped the final cost might be the same. I love mine (except when I fill it up)

Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
I did order the shield as I was unsure of so I just spent the extra money. I don't think it offers much protection but probably a little. I think you will be fine either way. Hands down the best mod I have made to my truck.

Here is a link to some photos of my install:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1050179...eat=directlink

Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 PM
wmiller5
New User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr

thanks in advance !
I checked a bunch of blogs and found that the Titan and the Transfer Flow tanks were highly recommended. My dealer said he would install it (for a price of course) and even stated that he has installed a few Transfer Flow tanks with excellent results. I was on the fence between the 50 gal Transfer Flow and the 50 gal Titan tank. My dealer recommended the plastic tank because they would not have the ability to corrode as a metal tank and that the bio diesel could help that corrosion. So I decided that a plastic tank should be lighter so I went with it.

Sounds like either tank would work and I hear that Transfer Flow has excellent customer service so I believe it will come down to personal preference. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 PM
pbeering
Elder User
I have and love the Titan with the cover. For the money it is worth it. Better safer than sorry.

Be certain to have whoever installs it wipe down the interior of the tank with a damp paper towel to remove debris.

Be sure to bring a bottle of cetane booster and your checkbook for the first fill!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Docindahouze
Senior User
for those of you who didn't install yourselves, how much did yall pay for the install? I was planning on having my tf midship replacement installed by one of the approved tf installers. After receiving quotes between $500-600 I decided to do it myself.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I wouldn't buy the shield again for two reasons. The tank moves inside the shield causing noise and the clearance at the top edge allows small stones between the tank and the shield.