1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

FM-146 1991 Ranger Transmission output seal replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
fairlaniac
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FM-146 1991 Ranger Transmission output seal replace?

I'm pretty certain the output seal on my FM-146 is shot as I have a nice little gear oil spot on the driveway each time I park the truck. I don't recall what it looks like inside the output end of the trans. What is involved with replacing the output seal on a trans with transfer case? I seem to recall the output shaft hangs out some distance past the seal and you cannot pry the seal out like a 2wd. Is this a job for a slide hammer? I tried searching the forums but no exact hits with pictures to my question.

Thanks,

Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I don't know about replacing the rear seal but maybe a member that does will post up. On these transmissions the rubber shift rail plugs dry rotting, leaking & blowing lube back to drip off the tranny tail shaft are a common problem. So with the vintage of this tranny, be sure to put the rubber shift rail plugs on your suspect list & check them, before replacing the rear seal!!!! More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find & how it goes if you have to replace the seal.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hope you're not seeing actual "gear oil" under the tranny. Both the trans & transfer case are supposed to use ATF.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 PM
fairlaniac
Tuned
Incorrect

Originally Posted by reddog99
I hope you're not seeing actual "gear oil" under the tranny. Both the trans & transfer case are supposed to use ATF.
Incorrect there, the FM-146 Mitsubishi uses gear oil. Check your manual. It doesn't have the leaky M5OD plugs either. I can guarantee you year oil is coming past the output shaft.

Now, has anyone replaced the output 4x4 seal with the trans in the truck?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Park the Ranger. Drive the Fairlane. It only has to pass a gas station or two before you need to fill up...
Most transfer cases have a splined u-joint carrier that is held to the output shaft by a large nut. Remove the driveshaft, look in the center and you should see the nut. Remove the nut, and the carrier will {should} slide off the spline. Then you can use a puller, or slide hammer & self-tapping screw to remove the old seal.
If yours is not like that, I have no idea. On automatics, we could replace the tailshaft seal in most cases without removing the tailshaft. We even replaced bushing, driving the old one onto the output shaft {it didn't mind riding around there} and installing in a new one.
tom

Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 AM
fairlaniac
Tuned
Originally Posted by tomw
Park the Ranger. Drive the Fairlane. It only has to pass a gas station or two before you need to fill up...
Most transfer cases have a splined u-joint carrier that is held to the output shaft by a large nut. Remove the driveshaft, look in the center and you should see the nut. Remove the nut, and the carrier will {should} slide off the spline. Then you can use a puller, or slide hammer & self-tapping screw to remove the old seal.
If yours is not like that, I have no idea. On automatics, we could replace the tailshaft seal in most cases without removing the tailshaft. We even replaced bushing, driving the old one onto the output shaft {it didn't mind riding around there} and installing in a new one.
tom
I'll take the tranfer case off this weekend and see what I've got. I'm hoping to pull bad seal out and put new seal in. Don't we wish things were that easy?

had the Fairlane out for a little strip time 2 weeks ago!