Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM
New User

borwish is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 5.4 excursion oil problem

A good while ago my father bought a 2000 excursion 5.4. He mainly got it to haul stuff around, so he doesn't drive it often. He was driving it a few days ago when the check engine light briefly came on and went back off before he got to work. I happened by a few hours later and looked around and saw that the oil level was a few inches higher than the max mark on the dipstick. I couldn't detect any water or gas in the oil and the coolant and transmission levels were fine. I took it a few miles away to my house to change the oil.

I did a normal oil change and added 6 quarts of oil with a new filter. When I transfered the old oil to a jug for recycling only about 2.75 quarts were in the pan. I checked the oil level again and it shows a few inches too high still. I drove it about two miles to circulate the oil and it was still high and looked dirtier than it should. What issue am I looking at here?

It was 5000 miles since the last oil change and it might have had only 5 quarts added at that time. Dipstick number F81E-6750-JA

Any and all advice is welcomed,

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM