Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit headers LMC Duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
jakehog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summit headers LMC Duals

My system is junk, thinking of replacing with some summit shorty headers and an LMC true dual exhaust. Mine is a '93 extended cab with a 6ft bed, not sure of the wheelbase.
Looks like LMC kit is for standard cab trucks. I'm pretty handy with a welder so if all I need to do to get it to work is extend a few pipes I should be ok. I'm just going to dump the outlets before the rear axle.
Anyone have any exp. with this kit? Or could anyone recomend an alternative true dual kit?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
get the long tubes headers if you are not keeping the factory y pipe and catalytic converter(which you should not because they are no bueno). Shorty headers are really only good for people who are keeping the factory y-pipe and cat. much better performance with the long tubes.
you can get a good set of hooker long tube headers for $200. you will have to weld your own 02 bungs though. no biggie if you can drill and weld. the bungs can be purchased at most autoparts stores or on ebay. ive heard bad stuff about flowtech brand, but they are onlt $130-150...

Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheGageinator
get the long tubes headers if you are not keeping the factory y pipe and catalytic converter(which you should not because they are no bueno). Shorty headers are really only good for people who are keeping the factory y-pipe and cat. much better performance with the long tubes.
you can get a good set of hooker long tube headers for $200. you will have to weld your own 02 bungs though. no biggie if you can drill and weld. the bungs can be purchased at most autoparts stores or on ebay. ive heard bad stuff about flowtech brand, but they are onlt $130-150...
and deleting them is a FEDERAL OFFENSE and if you get caught its a huge fine or many years in prison or both, it is also illegal to modify any emissions equipment, even though people do. this is just to make sure everything is covered and that you know what your consequences could be

Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Go with long tubes if you can.
I've heard good things about LMC exhaust systems before, but haven't had any first hand experience with them. Probably not a bad choice.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blue924.9
and deleting them is a FEDERAL OFFENSE and if you get caught its a huge fine or many years in prison or both, it is also illegal to modify any emissions equipment, even though people do. this is just to make sure everything is covered and that you know what your consequences could be
It's no big deal. Go by your state and county laws.

Also, it's a '93 truck. Depending on where you, a '93 can be registered as "historic" or "antique" now in 2013 and doesn't even require any kind of inspection or emissions testing.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
It's no big deal. Go by your state and county laws.

Also, it's a '93 truck. Depending on where you, a '93 can be registered as "historic" or "antique" now in 2013 and doesn't even require any kind of inspection or emissions testing.
yeah thats what i do also, just know that if a fed peeks under your vehicle and it had a catalytic converter on there and it was removed your getting slammed no matter what. good thing the feds dont have any time to snoop around vehicles in my little town, except one time when obama was campaigning for re-election and a fed looked under a guys truck... it wasnt good i will tell you that, what are the odds

Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 PM
jakehog
New User
Not worried about the smog *****, the cat was removed a long time ago by a previous owner.
I'm not keeping the factory y-pipe. I'm wondering how much of a pain it will be to get those long tubes hooked to the rest of a system like the LMC, that's why I was gonna go with shorties. I figured they would be easier to bolt to.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
yeah thats what i do also, just know that if a fed peeks under your vehicle and it had a catalytic converter on there and it was removed your getting slammed no matter what. good thing the feds dont have any time to snoop around vehicles in my little town, except one time when obama was campaigning for re-election and a fed looked under a guys truck... it wasnt good i will tell you that, what are the odds
I'm pretty sure no one has the right to tell you to do anything about emissions if it's registered as "historic" or "antique."

Old 05-13-2013, 12:29 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
I'm pretty sure no one has the right to tell you to do anything about emissions if it's registered as "historic" or "antique."
thats what i thought but apparently the feds do

Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
thats what i thought but apparently the feds do
I'm still not so sure... If it's like what you're saying, an big antique car show would be like a big drug bust, haha

Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Make sure you maintain some back pressure. People will say you don't need it but, if you have little to no back pressure, your gas mileage will start to suck. I went from 12mpg to 8 when I took my old cat off and was waiting for the new one to come in.

Apparently, the combustion gases can move too quickly past the O2 sensor and you get bad readings sent to the computer. That was the explanation my trusted mechanic said.

Unless the engine will be heavily modified, make sure there's some back pressure, how much? I couldn't tell you. What I can say is, the walker Y-Pipe with cat I bought from Advance Auto is 2.5" ID instead of the factory 2.25". It comes with a welded bung for the O2 sensor as well. $265 or something.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
also, if you delete your cats, you will LOSE torque. you will gain in the high end HP but lose low end torque(which is what most of us use out trucks for anyway, pulling trailer/hauling) all you gotta do is buy $55 high flow spun cats.... i never said anything about deleting them. buy Flowmonster high flows. 2 of them and you can stick your 02 wherever you want. ive been using the flowmonster brand for years now and i love them. cant beat the price and performance.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jakehog
My system is junk, thinking of replacing with some summit shorty headers and an LMC true dual exhaust. Mine is a '93 extended cab with a 6ft bed, not sure of the wheelbase.
Looks like LMC kit is for standard cab trucks. I'm pretty handy with a welder so if all I need to do to get it to work is extend a few pipes I should be ok. I'm just going to dump the outlets before the rear axle.
Anyone have any exp. with this kit? Or could anyone recomend an alternative true dual kit?
....I would go with long tube headers , weld the bung for the 02 in the passenger side of the collector , don't listen to the crap about the cats are needed to retain tq , you don't need any back pressure , just don't go to big on the pipes 1 1/2 primary header tubes , and no bigger than 2 1/2 duels or 3in single , exhaust scavenging is what you need not back pressure

Old 05-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
This thread is a PRIME example of why you shouldn't tear the factory system apart and remove things the engineers deemed were needed for the truck to operate because you think your smarter than them. Chances are, you aren't... There is simply too many ways to screw things up, and make worse. My advice? Find a JY truck, buy all of the missing emission system components you need, get a simple 2.25-2.5" Y-pipe with a new performance high flow cat, and a basic stainless muffler. Fill in the gaps with 2.5" stainless pipe. It will work just like the stock one did and outlast the rest of the truck. Shorty headers are also a good option if your manifolds are bad. Otherwise, unless your throwing a bunch of parts at the engine you won't see much of a change.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
I have a 2.5" Y (not sure what the header to y is) to 3". No cat meant everything flowed, but, it flowed too much and caused mileage issues...

Unless you feel confident that you'll be fine, go ahead but, you have to figure out how to get some restriction to allow the engine to get some pressure built up. I say put the cat back on because its an easy way to build back pressure and there's no real thought needed. I'm not an exhaust engineer but, those were my findings and I'm sharing what worked for me.

If you don't believe us, call an exhaust shop near you and get their opinion.

Quick Reply: Summit headers LMC Duals