Explorer brakes on an Aerostar, project notes. - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Explorer brakes on an Aerostar, project notes.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Posting Guru

asavage is starting off with a positive reputation.
One of the weak areas in my Aeros has always been warping the rotors. I can't count the number of times I've had to have mine machined or replaced. My current AWD is starting to exhibit the symptom again, and I'm ready to spring for better rotors as well this time.

I never need to replace brakes, I'm very easy on them, but the rotors! Arrrgh!

Rojo, don't weld the sleeve to the knuckle. That piece gets special treatment.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Post Fiend

xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I assume you know about carefully tightening the lug nuts in the proper sequence to equal torque? Improper torquing can warp the rotors.

How about getting directional rotors for 92 and up models, as they should cool better than the non-directional versions..
Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Postmaster

KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've had slotted rotors before, they still warped and were woefully inadequate. The stock brakes are just plain undersized.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by asavage View Post
One of the weak areas in my Aeros has always been warping the rotors. I can't count the number of times I've had to have mine machined or replaced. My current AWD is starting to exhibit the symptom again, and I'm ready to spring for better rotors as well this time.

I never need to replace brakes, I'm very easy on them, but the rotors! Arrrgh!

Rojo, don't weld the sleeve to the knuckle. That piece gets special treatment.
You might try cryogenically treated rotors.....typically costs about $20 more for the tx but it makes them very hard.
Diversified Cryogenics & Applied Rotor Technology in California provides the same product- but I would not rely on ART IMHO- it is essentially a 1 person shop owned/run by a Boeing engineer who works back east, travels alot and works at ART on weekends the last of my phone conversations with him).
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Posting Guru

asavage is starting off with a positive reputation.
I always torque lug nuts. I've done it often enough on my Aeros, what with seasonal wheel changes for snow tires, that I've got the spec memorized: 95-100 ft/lbs.

I'm very easy on brakes, always gear down on downgrades . . . I don't know why I have so much trouble with warped rotors, but I sure do!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM
Freshman User

Brian Skinner is starting off with a positive reputation.
explorer brake conversion

I was actually curious if newer ranger/explorer knuckles would work instead of all the fabrication since the knuckles are designed for 15-16 inch wheels and since people don't have access to jy's or all the tools to fabricate that way we can save down time with our aeros as well as have better brakes. Please let me know so i can perform this task, have better brakes and save down time since this is our only vehicle and our rotors are warped as well, and i even tighten my wheels in 20 pound increments. Please help
Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Senior User

RojoStar is starting off with a positive reputation.
I count the front brake retrofit as one of my overwhelming success stories.
It hauls the vehicle down with authority and absolutely no faults so far.
The Explorer rear discs are yet to be installed, but all ready attached to the Exp 8.8 rear axle hanging on my wall.

As for alternate knuckles/spindles, I actually brought in both the Explorer and the Ranger but neither were even close. Definitely not drop ins or even a starting point for mods. I hear what you're say'in about equipment and skills, so you might try approaching some kind of fabrication shop with a spare set acquired thru mail-order. Fortunately everything is documented on this thread.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Senior User

zenish is starting off with a positive reputation.
this is how i put 12 inch brakes on my camaro. Third Generation GM F-Body Brake Upgrade Project Overview | Luke Skaff i think this might work on the aerostar.