1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OD button

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
OD button

Today I stopped and went to put it in park and the end of the auto shift lever broke off. Its just hanging there by two wires, the third broken off. I need this button for downshifting on hills before it will do it itself with my foot on the floor. In other words, by then its to late for higher RPM's to keep EGT's down and maintain speed. Also, I use it a lot for slowing down. Does the whole lever have to be replaced or can just the outer BS plastic piece?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unfortunately the whole lever has to be replace but dont fret it is easy to replace as it is held in by one pin under the steering column cover

Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Glenn, I have one if you need it. I can ship it to you.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
btw how the hell do you break one anyways i have never seen them break?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I'll take you up on that Bill, Thanks!!!!!! I'll PM you the address of my daughter.

Ronnie, the plastic piece on the end broke, about the end three inches or so, not the rod. It does look pretty heavy duty for plastic. Glad to hear its an easy fix, I hate taking steering wheels apart.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got one as well Glenn. Maybe Bill and I can have a race to see whose gets there faster...

Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by tshrager
I've got one as well Glenn. Maybe Bill and I can have a race to see whose gets there faster...
haha, I just PMed Bill and then I thought that the 5 speed conversion man would have one too, Well, if Bill isn't reliable I'll PM you! (just kidding Bill)

Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Beat ya Todd... LOL!!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Meanwhile, I have read that you can glue it and its a quick fix, if you have all the little parts.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I've seen lots of threads on other forums about dudes busting this off; sounds like a weak point. Recall at least one where they super-glued it back on years ago, and it's been working ever since.

(I believe Todd has discovered the most robust, most permanent fix, however.... )

Old 05-09-2013, 11:19 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Today I stopped and went to put it in park and the end of the auto shift lever broke off. Its just hanging there by two wires, the third broken off. I need this button for downshifting on hills before it will do it itself with my foot on the floor. In other words, by then its to late for higher RPM's to keep EGT's down and maintain speed. Also, I use it a lot for slowing down. Does the whole lever have to be replaced or can just the outer BS plastic piece?
Why did you get so angry with it ?
What did it do to you? Lol

I had to replace mine. Had to order it from the dealer. Iirc it was 25-30 bucks

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by madpogue
I've seen lots of threads on other forums about dudes busting this off; sounds like a weak point. Recall at least one where they super-glued it back on years ago, and it's been working ever since.

(I believe Todd has discovered the most robust, most permanent fix, however.... )
You better believe!

The end of mine actually broke over the winter and I epoxied it. It worked great. I had no broken wires though. I think it was trying to give me a little foreshadowing on my trans perils.

Epoxied or not, I would've given Glenn a heck of a deal...

Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
What 29.98 instead 29.99

Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fordpride
What 29.98 instead 29.99
Free......

Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Meanwhile, I have read that you can glue it and its a quick fix, if you have all the little parts.

I thought of that Jose but I did pull one wire and it looks like it would be a B trying to get it back together.

Originally Posted by madpogue

I agree that its a weak point but I like a good auto!! LOL

Originally Posted by fordpride
Why did you get so angry with it ?
What did it do to you? Lol

I had to replace mine. Had to order it from the dealer. Iirc it was 25-30 bucks
At the time I did have a good reason to get angry with it but I didn't put it in park any different then I always do. About 30 miles back I filled up both tanks and my aux tank. My wife started saying that she smelled diesel. I said I didn't. A little later I said I'm pulling off because I think now that I also smelled diesel. Stopped and lever broke. Got out and noticed a wet spot on the carpet, my oil pressure gauge leaked a little. Pulled the gauge cluster off and tighten that up. Then proceeded to the motor, everything was dry. At this point I could defiantly smell diesel so looked under the truck and saw diesel dripping. The front of the front tank was dripping so I said great, that's all I need. Stood up and realized it was coming from the bed and saw a dumb *** thing I did, forgot to put the cap back on the aux tank. Phew, nothing major and took off. Its so hard breaking the habit of reaching for the shift lever and missing it because its now shorter, LOL The joys of traveling!!

Originally Posted by tshrager
You better believe!

The end of mine actually broke over the winter and I epoxied it. It worked great. I had no broken wires though. I think it was trying to give me a little foreshadowing on my trans perils.

Epoxied or not, I would've given Glenn a heck of a deal...
haha, thanks Todd

Quick Reply: OD button