1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Trans crossmember delete

Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM
blackedout
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans crossmember delete

I have swapped a CV IFS into my 59. I had to get the AOd out of it so I cut the original trans mount out. I fabbed my own trans mount that bolts to the tail shaft. Is it ok to leave the original out? Most cars I have worked on don't have a chassis brace under the trans.... I'll weld something in it is a safety issue.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original crossmember, if it's the one I think you're referring to, also stiffens the frame where the original leaf springs. That the one? If you don't have leaf springs, have enough reenforcement for the cv ifs and have a mount for the trans, I don't see a need for it. That's just my opinion. I'm sure some with more experience doing IFS installs will weigh in

Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM
blackedout
Senior User
Ok, so that was for the leafs makes sense why it was so beefy. HERE is my build thread (on this forum) If anyone else would way in I would be very appreciative.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
That trans Xmember you made is HUGE!!! Nice work! I'd have no problem pulling out the original. In fact it's almost imperative. If you leave it in place, Murphy's Law says your trans will die right away. Make it easy to pull and you'll never have trans problems

Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
There are 3 cross members on your frame. One in the front, the middle,(bell housing) and one in the rear. Are you talking about the Bell housing cross member? They are all important other wise they would have not designed it that way. I have seen people take out the bell housing C. member out and that is way to much space with no bracing. Your frame will flex with the C. members. So imagine what it would do with out it. Hope that's the one u r talking about.
Jonesy

Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
I forgot about the other cross member that the emergency brake cable hooks up to.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by thrifty
There are 3 cross members on your frame. One in the front, the middle,(bell housing) and one in the rear. Are you talking about the Bell housing cross member? They are all important other wise they would have not designed it that way. I have seen people take out the bell housing C. member out and that is way to much space with no bracing. Your frame will flex with the C. members. So imagine what it would do with out it. Hope that's the one u r talking about.
Jonesy
Isn't there an added Xmember for the CV clip? And then another for the trans? That's where many peeps, me included, don't wish to mess with this kinda stuff. I'm just not that confident in my abilities. Another idea, and what I was gonna do if I ran a 5.0/AOD, was to knock out the rivets and replace them with bolts so this Xmember could be removed if needed. You'd have to brace the heck outa the frame and not move it till it's put back, but at least trans work wouldn't be as bad

Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
The c-channel frame rails are really not that strong without the cross members. That's why a lot of people box the frame when they do modifications. I swapped in a 390 FE that required removing the trans cross member. I added a deeper cross member below where the original was. Fabbed it from an old c-channel rear bumper. Provided some strength and a place to run the right front brake line. Just didn't feel comfortable not having something there.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Frankc, that makes sense and it looks like you have clearance in case your trans defecates the bed. Nice craftsmanship. And kudos for using what you have instead of spending a bazillion bucks

Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Good call on the c.v clip cross member. vntgtrk I forgot all about that. Glad somebody is taking up my slack. I was trying to show how important the cross members are.
Frankcowan is correct about the boxing the of frames. Good thinking on still using the original c. member and modification.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
blackedout
Senior User
NIce guys.. I do have the CV cross member with boxing around it. I will drive it without the cross member and see what happens. I can always fab something if needed.