6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Major power loss after egr delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM
kyracer6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major power loss after egr delete

A few days ago I installed an egr delete on my 03 f250 6.0 after installing it I lost power like the turbo isn't building any boost I've checked my ic pipes and the rubber boots I have no leaks there I've checked my intake gaskets I'm not leaking any air there either and ive checked for exhaust leaks and i dont have any I took it down to my local ford dealership and I have a buddy who works there we hooked it to the computer and I was only producing maybe 2 psi of boost we thought it might be the vgt solenoid so I put brand new one from ford and it didn't help so We thought It might be the turbo so I got a new turbo I changed it out and it's still doing the same thing I've checked all my wiring everything is plugged in properly It starts up fine and idles perfect just has no power I drive it down the road and nothing is there it holds out on gears and won't go over 2500 Rpm and definitley wont climb a hill for nothing I have a sct programmer and I've turned egr off and it's not throwing any codes at all it has me and all the guys at my local ford dealership stumped I've tried just about everything and can't seem to figure it out so I could really use some help on this one

Old 05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Odds are High you have an Exhaust leak to Turbo

A very small exhaust leak will cause HUGE Power LOSS and is #1 thing to cause this problem after turbo been removed

Is Hose hooked up to MAP Sensor??

Is the MAF/Intake air temp sensor plugged in???

I know you checked all this But somethings UP

Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
What type EGR Deleate???

Did you change the Uppipe??

Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 PM
kyracer6
New User
It's an xdp egr delete kit and yea I changed the up pipe and yea I've double checked all plugins even the dealership guys doubly checked everything I had an exhaust leak but you could hear it and I fixed it it was actually the new up pipe that was leaking and I still have no power I've felt for exhaust leaks and still nothing

Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EBP and tube, IAT 2 senser,I would clean those and post some values

Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM
kyracer6
New User
I took the ebp off cleaned it I checked the tube and it wasn't stopped up I took the iat 2 sensor out and cleaned it... it was nasty and it's still acting like it has no power I ca put in gear hold the brake and give it fuel and it won't go over 1200 rpm. Not sure what it could be

Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
2003 uses MAP Sensor for Boost NOT EBP

make shure little rubber hose is plugged in and electrical is plugged in

IMO NOTHING is Ruled out since you still have problems

Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM
kyracer6
New User
Checked map sensor it's plugged in good and the rubber hose is on good.... I know the guys at dealership said the vgt needed to relearn itself but it should've relearned itself by now an thy also told me that it may not ever relearn

Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by kyracer6
Checked map sensor it's plugged in good and the rubber hose is on good.... I know the guys at dealership said the vgt needed to relearn itself but it should've relearned itself by now an thy also told me that it may not ever relearn
There's a way to manually kick off the VGT relearn strategy....

Here you go: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Diablosport Predator Update for 04 Truck

Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
I thinking with only 2psi Boost your problems are more than VGT Relearn

Do youu have a Digital gauge??

Im thinking you MUST Compleatly rule out an Exhaust leak so start the truck when Cold your Going to have to Move Fast and feel with hand at Each Exhaust Joint for air leak

You can also take a Stick with a String hooked to it and kinda Fish it around each Exhaust Connection going to the turbo

It only takes a very small leak to cause this

Sorrey I know the Dealer was a Buddey but I dont think they checked it very well cause he would have found the problem I would think or he not a Very good Mechanic and you need to go elsewhere

Your Buddey working at the Dealer has ALL the High tech stuff to Either Rule a VGT Silinoid Good or Bad same with the Turbo

Sorrey But Im going to call this the Way I see it
Due to the Fact the Buddey Threw some parts at it and things Did NOT Change I would throw out Everything he said and maybe find someone else to look at it

There are Metal Gaskets that Go into the Exhaust Uppipe Joints do you remember Installing them????

Im sorrey if I sound like Im Whiping a Dead Horse over this exhaust leak but in all Honesty after this type work is done Id say 95% of the Time No Boost after work is an Exhaust leak

Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM
kyracer6
New User
I understand where your coming from and yea I put the metal gasket on there and I've triple checked that one for sure

Old 05-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Odds are High you have an Exhaust leak to Turbo

A very small exhaust leak will cause HUGE Power LOSS and is #1 thing to cause this problem after turbo been removed
I don't know about that. I had the clamp break on mine with a massive exhaust leak and could still make 20 psi boost.

Josh

Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
kyracer6
New User
Just checked for exhaust leaks can't find none anywhere checked all pipes goin to turbo ad checked up pipe and still no leaks I can't feel no air coming out anywhere unless its so small I can't feel it

Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. obstruction in turbo intake hose/pipe between air cleaner and turbo?

2. obstruction in turbo outlet pipe going towards intercooler or intake?

Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
I don't know about that. I had the clamp break on mine with a massive exhaust leak and could still make 20 psi boost.

Josh

Ever notice how you can UNDO the marmon clamp Bolt and the clamp still hangs on there Tight as Hell and needs some persuasion with a hammer and screwdriver to get the clamp free

But it probably pulled the joint together and sealed it pretty good before the Clamp broke

Even the Marmon clamp would help hold the joint together even when broke

Over time it might have rattled loose and lost the seal IDK

I dont know how it could build 20psi with a Massive exhaust leak when on most these trucks a small leak will cause Huge problems
Mosst the time a small exhaust leak the truck cant get out of its own way

Quick Reply: Major power loss after egr delete