1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Dana 50 swap and a whole lot of Cussin

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sheesh. What are the odds? I'm glad you got it all figured out. I guess I would have thought that the axle joints would have let the shaft straighten out since there isn't a carrier bearing or anything in the middle. I guess that's not the case. At any rate, I'm glad you got it figured out!

Give kawamatt22 a break William, he is only trying to help. And if you go back and look at your second video, at about 54 seconds in I can see wxactly what he is referring to. It must be an optical illusion or something though because you guys have assured us that it is seated completely tight into the axle beam. I can see what he was talking about too and I'm not sure what it is either.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
You having a similar issue leo???

Thought the video was going to be about a D60 swap and all of the pages would be full of informative info so I subscribed late last night and planned on reading all of it this morning. This morning I watched in horror as the D50 was "installed"! I tried to play it in reverse to undo some of the trauma...it didn't work. And most of the pages are about iced tea, suspenders, a dog and a missus that I apparently didn't see.

But still a very enjoyable read and I appreciate your tenacity in finding the problem!

Seems an odd way that the beam was bent...any idea how it got that way and did your portapower rig bend it back?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Sheesh. What are the odds? I'm glad you got it all figured out. I guess I would have thought that the axle joints would have let the shaft straighten out since there isn't a carrier bearing or anything in the middle. I guess that's not the case. At any rate, I'm glad you got it figured out!

Give kawamatt22 a break William, he is only trying to help. And if you go back and look at your second video, at about 54 seconds in I can see wxactly what he is referring to. It must be an optical illusion or something though because you guys have assured us that it is seated completely tight into the axle beam. I can see what he was talking about too and I'm not sure what it is either.
I can see in the video what you are talking about. I guess it's a combination of the rubber grease cup and the way the tapered fit that's welded in the beam sticks down a little that makes it look that way.

Originally Posted by LeoJr
Thought the video was going to be about a D60 swap and all of the pages would be full of informative info so I subscribed late last night and planned on reading all of it this morning. This morning I watched in horror as the D50 was "installed"! I tried to play it in reverse to undo some of the trauma...it didn't work. And most of the pages are about iced tea, suspenders, a dog and a missus that I apparently didn't see.

But still a very enjoyable read and I appreciate your tenacity in finding the problem!

Seems an odd way that the beam was bent...any idea how it got that way and did your portapower rig bend it back?
The beam got bent when William went into a ditch and the wheel hit a water main. He said it was a pretty solid lick. It broke the tie rod ends, the spring center bolt, and drove the steering stop bolt through the axle beam itself. He told me months ago that he thought the beam was bent, and he was right. I just used the porta power to see if this was the issue. I've got another TTB axle that I know is good. I guess whenever William can make it back up here, we'll try putting that one in.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
You still wouldnt hear anything.....
Youd actually have to use the differential which wouldnt work in the first place cause a hub is missing which would just destroy the spider gears.

Differentials dont turn unless you put it in 4wd or if you dont know how to properly service and install manual lockouts.
Ya, I know. I meant that I really doubted it was in the diff. I guess I shouldn't have said anything about hearing anything.

You need to take a chill pill. At least Bill got it figured out.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
'chill pill'?? LOL I hear those two exact words all the time from my wife. I have no idea why, I'm real easy going, never let any thing upset me.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:33 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
Except the elves eh? Sorry buddy.I'm slap happy...

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
That's right, I use my bull wipe on the elves! LOL

Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
Yeeeaaaaaa....keep em inline!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
'chill pill'?? LOL I hear those two exact words all the time from my wife. I have no idea why, I'm real easy going, never let any thing upset me.
I've heard it from my sister.

I made a mistake saying he should have heard something (happens), but I just saw no way it would be in the diff.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Ya, I know. I meant that I really doubted it was in the diff. I guess I shouldn't have said anything about hearing anything.

You need to take a chill pill. At least Bill got it figured out.
No chill pills needed, nor was I meaning any bad intent. Just making the statements.

I don't make long lengthy wordy posts while typing from my phone, so they come out a bit .. more harsh.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic

You gotta remember that there is a seal there that makes everything look off if the angle is right.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
If it did work fine like that and the bolting it to the spring caused the issue, it would not solve the problem.
My point was that if you can remove the axle and everything assembles like it should, no binding no mis-alignment of anything, you have narrowed down the problem to something on the truck. If with with the axle removed from the truck it still wouldn't bolt together correctly, you know the problem is with the axle assembly itself.

At least Bill was able to narrow down the problem.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
My point was that if you can remove the axle and everything assembles like it should, no binding no mis-alignment of anything, you have narrowed down the problem to something on the truck. If with with the axle removed from the truck it still wouldn't bolt together correctly, you know the problem is with the axle assembly itself.

At least Bill was able to narrow down the problem.
Yes, Bill and I both had a lengthy conversation about it after I left.

That was what we came up with.

I'm just glad he had a porta power to test the theory.

The actual axle bending like that from being bolted up to the springs is just absurd and not really possible.