Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 PM
New User

apensity is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000-2003 F150 vs. Silverado 1500

Which is:
1. More Reliable
2. Better at Gas Mileage
3. Cheaper to fix
4. Better in quality (interior and exterior)
5. Easier to put larger tires on stock w/o lift
6. Bigger inside with the largest cab they made during those years

Thanks for the input! Selling my '03 F250 Powersuck 6.0 after 1 week of owning it, going for the 150's and away from Diesel
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
2000-2003 F150 vs. Silverado 1500...IMHO & memory
1. More Reliable (Engines/trannys/diff/brakes)- the same.....GM V6 was a POS; avoid the "Quadrasteer"- neat idea used in the commercial industry for years but pricey e-trick for the daily P/U truck.
2. Better at Gas Mileage- GM by 1 MPG
3. Cheaper to fix- same
4. Better in quality (interior and exterior)- Interior....typical cheap looking GM plastic for the decade....exterior, Ford was a little better at the time IIRR...tighter clearances mostly, but there were issues with Fords doors (rust outs from clogged drain plugs).....Nasser Ford President at the time....was basically the "Roger Smith" of Ford at the time.....penny pincher for profit, quality in many areas were placed second. Windshields IIRR were reduce in thickness by 1/3 for $......this created a lot more wind noise inside the cab...a lot of complaints on this....also you have to remember the windshield is actually part of the structural integrity of the front end.......and there were a lot of structural issues (cracks) with the doors.......GM wins by default (IMHO)
5. Easier to put larger tires on stock w/o lift- same
6. Bigger inside with the largest cab they made during those years- Ford wins...much better design
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM
FTE Arizona Chapter LDR

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by apensity View Post
Which is:
1. More Reliable
2. Better at Gas Mileage
3. Cheaper to fix
4. Better in quality (interior and exterior)
5. Easier to put larger tires on stock w/o lift
6. Bigger inside with the largest cab they made during those years

Thanks for the input! Selling my '03 F250 Powersuck 6.0 after 1 week of owning it, going for the 150's and away from Diesel
Almost every question you asked can be found on Edmond.com they have detailed info on used cars & trucks.
I can tell you that GM use to lead the gas mileage race. Most older Chevy's get the better mileage.
Oversized tires & lifts are counter productive to gas mileage.
Craig

Christine Jones for Arizona Governor
Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Elder User

Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would have to say I think the Chevy's were cheaper to repair during those years. Fords had some common potentially expensive problems, like the spark plugs coming out of the heads and broken exhaust manifold studs. The 4.2L V-6 seems to have head gasket issues as well. Also, when it come time to rebuild the engine, you sometimes need to replace the cylinder heads on 4.6L's and 5.4L's because the cam journals wear out (there are no bearings). This is particularly true if a previous owner didn't change the oil often enough or used too heavy an oil. I read that Jasper's has a fix for this now.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Elder User

Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.Krochus has a good reputation on FTE.
In those years I'd but a Tundra and not look back.

The silverado will be an trans eating, coolant leaking, electrical nightmare.

And the ford modular motor is IMO a thirsty gutless boat anchor just looking to vomit out its spark plugs.

The tundra of that vintage is a very well sorted truck that as long as the timing belt is changed will run FOREVER, you wont have to worry about working on it Because YOU WONT HAVE TO. Bigger tires are just a set of adjustable struts away.

I'd still be in a 2006 double cab if I hadn't bought a pontoon boat and found myself in the market for a diesel
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition