1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Ford Expedition 5.4L 4V is possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 PM
ALFIL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ford Expedition 5.4L 4V is possible?

I want to install a 5.4L 4V Lincoln Navigator in a 1997 Ford Expedition, you may want to know if the change?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALFIL
I want to install a 5.4L 4V Lincoln Navigator in a 1997 Ford Expedition, you may want to know if the change?
What engine and transmission came in your expedition?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
ALFIL
New User
the engine is 5.4L sohc 2v, and is the E4OD transmission, both are original.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ALFIL
the engine is 5.4L sohc 2v, and is the E4OD transmission, both are original.
It is a pretty easy swap if you have the donor vehicle right there to refer to and take any small parts that you might not have thought of. To avoid problems you should use the complete engine. trans,and transfer case, wire harness, exhaust Y pipe and the ECM as well as possibly the ignition switch, door and hatch locks and keys. The items in red are pretty much mandatory for a no hassle swap.
If you want to use the transmission that you have you will need to make sure it is the same as the one in the donor truck to avoid problems. It is probably the same transmission and transfercase.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not sell yours and buy a 99 Navi with the same engine, just asking not trying to be a smarty.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Ponyracer
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am in the same boat. blown head gasket and just bought a 99 Navi 5.4 32 valve for $100 because the owner thought it was a 2 valve and had trouble selling it. why the ignition and locks? would not the Expy ignition work? what about all the modules? is the Y pipe then different between the 2 and 4 valve? how much of the wiring harness, engine compartment only or dash too? Thanks for your time and answers.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ponyracer
I am in the same boat. blown head gasket and just bought a 99 Navi 5.4 32 valve for $100 because the owner thought it was a 2 valve and had trouble selling it.
why the ignition and locks? If you have to use the Navigator's ECM the PATs code is imbedded in it and without the matching key it will not start.
would not the Expy ignition work? See above
what about all the modules? Most all will interchange, the ECM will not.
is the Y pipe then different between the 2 and 4 valve? Yes
how much of the wiring harness, engine compartment only From the ECM and throughout the engine compartmen should do it
or dash too? No.
Thanks for your time and answers.

Good luck with it.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Ponyracer
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you Mel! I either will fix the head gasket issue with the 2V or will attempt the 4V shoehorn and have a fun new toy. I will be looking into both ideas and decide soon as the wife wants her SUV back!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Im going to guess most of you dont have that much 4 valve experience.

Let me break it down gents.

If your 97 has COP then it is completely possible.

I have seen harnesses that go from the older coil packs(That sit in front of each head) to the actual COPs. If you have COPs already then you may just have to extend the COP wiring since the 4 valves sit lower then the 2 Valves. Now you may have to switch the ends to work on a 4 valve COP as well but that is 2 wires per injector and done.

Oh, you keep your harness with this.

Now that is fixed. You need to use a Ford Navi upper and lower with the sensors on it. Most Ford sensors are standard and fit on alot of different cars. Their location will likely be different but by extending the wires and making sure they are going to the correct side of the plug you will be fine.

You will also have to swap Fuel rails(I think) and you will be able to reuse your injectors since they are the same (EV1/EV6)height.

You will need to swap to the correct exhaust manifolds and have an exhaust shop fix it so they mate with the 4 valve manifolds.

You will need to swap to the correct spark plugs as well.

Now once that is all done you will need a CUSTOM tune to make it work with the stock computer. Since you changed the air flow characteristics of the engine it would be against your best interest to try and drive the truck untuned. I can not stress this enough.

Also make sure you redeck the heads AND the block as well as using brand new head gaskets. If you fail to do so then the gaskets will leak. The surfaces must be within a certain spec in order for the MLS gasket to seal properly. Do not avoid this step or you will be doing it the correct way again.

Any other questions just ask.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 AM
ALFIL
New User
I made this change, I only had to remove the entire engine, with Y pipe, the electric arness is identical if you have a original 5.4L your vehicle, you will have problems if you have the 4.6L. including the transmission is equal to the original in my car E40D.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
For a guy who struggles through routine maintenance I really like these types of threads where owners are able to redo and improve on what Ford has done. I always liked the look of the Expedition but bought a Navigator for the extra hp since I was going to tow with it. I got tired of the higher repair cost of the Lincoln (all electronic gizmos do break down) especially the 03 air suspension which has been called the worst years made. The dealership couldn't pin point the real cause of the leak and after spending literally weeks searching online I found one thread where a Ford tech gave some suggestions that I printed out and took to the GM of the dealership that finally solved the problem but too late to save me the $$$$ that I poured into it fixing faulty components but they were not the cause of my problem.

ALFIL you said you did it, how long did it take you and how difficult would you rate it?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 PM
ALFIL
New User
If I take a little time, since my work absorbs most of my time, but with the help of a neighbor, we install and operate within a week. The advantage for me was to have the donor vehicle, Nav 2000, my truck is 1997, so only minor changes in the electrical connections. Try it, it is not difficult and much less impossible. I love V8 and this even more.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM
mocrawlin
Trailering
is the mileage better with the 4v engine? i know the power is better, but my expedition has good power, and i plan to get a super chips tuner soon for it. i also plan to buy a new engine from ford early next year to replace this one, but if the 4v works, has more power and gets better mpg, i am all for that route! lol