Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Upcoming 10000 mile trip. Question about engine oil.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Upcoming 10000 mile trip. Question about engine oil.

I'm a month away from embarking on a 10000 mile trip with my 7.3 IDI van. I'm currently running conventional engine oil, but I'm contemplating running synthetic so that I only need to do an oil change once on the trip.

Most of the miles will be highway miles. The trip will span 18 days so we'll be driving most of the time. Since we don't have a lot of time to dillydally around doing oil changes, I thought it'd be good to use an oil that will last 5000 miles.

Should I run synthetic and do one oil change on the trip, or should I pack conventional oil for 2 or 3 changes during the trip?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:12 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you go syn. I would call it good. Most guys that i know of run synthetic at least 10k miles. If you want to play it safe pack an extra filter and change it at your half way point.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I run my powerstrokes to 5K on conventional and don't worry one bit, I wouldn't be scared at all to run an IDI which is ALOT easier on the oil to 8K, especially if it was all highway miles like your trip will be.

IF your truly worried about the oil do like hairy mentioned and bring a filter and oil, it takes 10 minutes to dump the oil and reload.

I wouldn't do the synth just because it is known to cause a few random leaks once it cleans the carbon deposits out of places, you wouldn't be to happy if 3/4 of the trip you started leaking oil....

Diesel Rod

Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
I always run to 5k on conventional in my truck. I usually have to top it a quart or three between changes, but I have a couple leaks I haven't dealt with.

I'd bring what you need to do a single change in the middle and just run what you've been running.

Whats the trip for? Thats a lot of miles in a short time.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it sure is.10k miles in 18 days......it sounds more like work than a vacation.then again i don't recall my last vacation,so im not in the know lmao.i would toss some mobil 1 turbo diesel in her and run her.change it when i got back.take a few extra quarts with ya.though can find them everywhere.probably burn 2-3 quarts.
i run synthetic all the time,so i thought id toss in a different opinion for kicks and giggles.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:08 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I'll stick with the conventional and change it at the half-way point. Any comments on what weights I should be using? I'm using 15W40 Rotella.

I knew the synthetic could result in some random new leaks, and yeah, I don't want to have another wildcard on such a large trip, with such an old vehicle.

As for why.... Every year, my friend and I always do a roadtrip in July. This year, we are heading up to Prudhoe Bay to take a swim in the Arctic Ocean. Well, that's just our destination, but we are meeting up with lots of friends over the years that have settled in British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, and Alaska. We'll have to pack our oil with us, because there are lots of stretches of the Alcan Hwy with no or limited services. We already did the Alaska Hwy in 2008 on a previous roadtrip, so we know what we are getting into. This will be our first trip north of the Arctic Circle.

If anyone is on this path, feel free to shoot me a message and maybe we can meet up. It's always nice to get of the road for a few minutes to shoot the s*** with a fellow FTE Diesel Member.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've read a couple times on here that synt. oil makes these older engines leak.

I've always ran conventional oil, and change it every 3-4k during my vacations with the camper. We spend most nights in Wal Mart parking lots. Takes 10 min to do an oil change in the parking lot, do it when the engine is still hot, drains so much easier and quicker!

Good luck on the trip! That should be a good one! Love long trips

Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by genscripter
Any comments on what weights I should be using? I'm using 15W40 Rotella.
The godsend of all diesel oils. I run it in every diesel I own.

Diesel Rod

Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy dear lord you people are nuts..... 5k??? 8k??? I changed my diesel at 2500 miles using nothing but Wix filters and Rotella oil... 15w40... Always conventional oil.... Had nothing but a fiasco with synthetic

Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Originally Posted by Aune163rd
Holy dear lord you people are nuts..... 5k??? 8k??? I changed my diesel at 2500 miles using nothing but Wix filters and Rotella oil... 15w40... Always conventional oil.... Had nothing but a fiasco with synthetic
You'd be surprised how much TBN is still in your oil at 2,500k. Thirty years ago it was a different story but oil has come a long way since then. I'm changing mine every 3,000 on a rebuild but I know I will be able to go 5k once the engine is completely broken in. Spend $25 on a UOA and you will be surprised how much you can safely run a decent conventional oil these days

Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wives tales!

Sounds like seals never leak if you use conventional.

I have an IDI I am about 8,000 into my 30 weight blend, I have no plans for any change. On July4th I am planning a open carry march in DC and the same oil will be in my truck when I leave and when I get home.

You guys are like teenage girls starring in the mirror looking at teen magazine

Javier

Old 05-05-2013, 04:32 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
OCD

Originally Posted by Aune163rd
LOL! that is complete nonsense.

Do you keep filling up at 3/4 tank too?

blind faith in the effectiveness of standard-purchase oil filters and air filters to achieve their reliability objectives
Why Cheap Air and Oil Filters Cost More

Try learning something and spend more time enjoying your truck and your life instead of being a SLAVE

Javier

Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scratcher
You'd be surprised how much TBN is still in your oil at 2,500k. Thirty years ago it was a different story but oil has come a long way since then. I'm changing mine every 3,000 on a rebuild but I know I will be able to go 5k once the engine is completely broken in. Spend $25 on a UOA and you will be surprised how much you can safely run a decent conventional oil these days
you would be amazed then how my first UOA after 5 years and 40,000 miles came back "Good For Continued Use" This was some years back, bought the truck in 99 well used, engine lasted 120,000 miles before a total overhaul last year.

I broke my IDI with break in oil for 1000 miles then used 30 weight I am now at 8,000++ miles, waiting till 10,000 to take sample.

Used Oil Samples beat the hell out of internet opinions all day long

Javier

Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Fordidipower
Senior User
I'd go the 10k on conventional oil no problem. Change it right before you go and if you really want to take a filter with you and just change that. Maybe take a couple extra quarts along to but I wouldn't do a full service. Use a high quality oil and 10k shouldn't be a problem. But do change it when you get back

Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I do mine every 3k, but upon rebuild im going synthetic and a bypass filter and dont plan to ever change it unless analysis shows that i should. Toss a new filter on every 5-10k and gtg. I would not run conventional over 5k, it does break down. The extent of breakdown depends on the engine and how its used however. An old boss swore that oil changes are just a big conspiracy and would change his once a year... sometimes. The oil usually would see 10-20k sometimes more. To make this short, hes already replaced the engine in his 06 mega cab, had 160k on it. His gasser work truck has had 3 engines, its under 300k

Quick Reply: Upcoming 10000 mile trip. Question about engine oil.