Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2013 Escape + Global Open Programming

Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 PM
ndccpf1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Escape + Global Open Programming

The 2013 Fusion is now being advertised with Global Open... the feature to open and close windows and sunroof via the key fob. Since the 2013 Escape and 2013 Fusion are as far as I know really the same car chassis and parts (under the skin), can we have Global Open enabled ?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got my My Ford magazine the other day and it had a write up that all 2014 Fords will have the feature.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM
ndccpf1
New User
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach
I got my My Ford magazine the other day and it had a write up that all 2014 Fords will have the feature.
Then our 2013 Escapes can be reprogrammed @ the dealer to activate this feature.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ndccpf1
Then our 2013 Escapes can be reprogrammed @ the dealer to activate this feature.
Not sure why you'd say that but it might be possible. Things change and are added from year to year. Not something that can just be activated.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 PM
ndccpf1
New User
Originally Posted by wptski
Not sure why you'd say that but it might be possible. Things change and are added from year to year. Not something that can just be activated.
I also have a 2006 VW GTI @ home (and had two Audi's in the past). These cars all come from the factory with "remote windows and roof" disabled from the factory. Using the software and cable from Ross-Tech: Home you change the byte settings of the BCM (Body Control Module).

During a car's model run there are minor changes to BCMs and these are usually revision levels. "Flashing" these modules and the car's ECMs are what fix issues and give new features. I have the MongooseFord cable from Drew Technologies and a subscription to the Ford Tech Line Programming site.

I started to poke around to see what I can find for myself

Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
I also have a 2006 VW GTI @ home (and had two Audi's in the past). These cars all come from the factory with "remote windows and roof" disabled from the factory. Using the software and cable from Ross-Tech: Home you change the byte settings of the BCM (Body Control Module).

During a car's model run there are minor changes to BCMs and these are usually revision levels. "Flashing" these modules and the car's ECMs are what fix issues and give new features. I have the MongooseFord cable from Drew Technologies and a subscription to the Ford Tech Line Programming site.

I started to poke around to see what I can find for myself
Never heard of that cable before. Drew Tech is an hours drive from me and at one time I was interested in their DashDAQ but it wasn't working very well on the 09's.

I did look that cable up. Don't you need the Ford IDS software along with that which in itself is very costly? Or is that the subscription your referring to? That cable isn't cheap either! I know a while back, a IDS system or PC/software was about $10K.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM
ndccpf1
New User
Correct the stuff is not so cheap compared to what you do with the VW software / cable from Ross-Tech. Drew cable was $ 500 and I started with a one month subscription for the Ford Re-Programming services: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...p?menuIndex1=2

There is some indication of possible added softwares needed but I will not go that far into it just to get the Global Open. I'm convinced it can be enabled on ours. Just need to get in touch with a real ace Ford Mechanic who is trained on the current Ford chassis lines.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Correct the stuff is not so cheap compared to what you do with the VW software / cable from Ross-Tech. Drew cable was $ 500 and I started with a one month subscription for the Ford Re-Programming services: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...p?menuIndex1=2

There is some indication of possible added softwares needed but I will not go that far into it just to get the Global Open. I'm convinced it can be enabled on ours. Just need to get in touch with a real ace Ford Mechanic who is trained on the current Ford chassis lines.
There's one that frequents this forum but he's stated in other threads that he can't supply certain info. I guess that he'd lose his job.

I had Ford Oasis access which I believe is similar or the same to what you have. Manuals will tell you to access a certain PID and do this or that. You may be surprised how little info the modern manual gives. I asked questions at my dealer and was told, "If it isn't in the manual, they don't want us to know". I had the hard copy of the '09 manual at that time. They even agreed to calling their Ford Tech Line and the info I asked about wasn't available. It was about the 4WD system.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 AM
ndccpf1
New User
Originally Posted by wptski
There's one that frequents this forum but he's stated in other threads that he can't supply certain info. I guess that he'd lose his job.

I had Ford Oasis access which I believe is similar or the same to what you have. Manuals will tell you to access a certain PID and do this or that. You may be surprised how little info the modern manual gives. I asked questions at my dealer and was told, "If it isn't in the manual, they don't want us to know". I had the hard copy of the '09 manual at that time. They even agreed to calling their Ford Tech Line and the info I asked about wasn't available. It was about the 4WD system.

Checked out the UK Ford site for the Kuga (European Escape) and it has Global Open as standard which definitely tells me our USA Escapes can have it too:

All-New Kuga - Features and specifications - Ford.co.uk

Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent my lunch hour today probing the inner secrets of the BCM on a 2013 Escape. There is no programmable parameter that can be changed at the dealership level to enable global open. There is a memory block for that feature, but no changes are permitted. So unless you have a Ford engineer buddy that happens to design the software for that application and is willing to risk his job by programming your vehicle with Ford's engineering-level equipment, you are out of luck as far as Ford goes.

I'm sure somebody with the proper engineering background could go through and pick apart Ford's software and develop a program to make changes, similar to how powertrain modules are modded, but I honestly don't pay much attention to the aftermarket stuff, so you're on your own there.