6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

How many 6.2 super duty's in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many 6.2 super duty's in your area?

Just curious to how many 6.2 super duty's you guy's see in your area.....I am in Atlanta and 90% of the super duty's I see are diesel. The only time I really see them is I notice that lots of fleet super duty's are gassers and those are the stripped down units. The loaded lariats like mine are almost always a diesel...I think in the time since I bought my truck in December I have seen 1 or 2 super duty lariat 6.2....the funny thing is it was exactly like my truck....CC 4x4 white pearl tricoat.

Any body else like this or do you see them all over? I have never looked it up but I am curious to the production numbers of 6.2's in Super duty's???

Old 05-03-2013, 03:29 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
I thought I saw somewhere that the gas take rate was something like 40% but I figured that was mostly the work truck XLs for fleets.

However last time I went camping I saw two 6.2s with TT trailers, either XLT or Lariat trim. Was wanting so bad to talk to those guys about them but didn't want to look like a stalker either lol. Didn't get the chance, but maybe next time.

I have seen more than I expected at campgrounds, so it makes me think they are really up for the task.

What's funny though is that around town all the unloaded pretty trucks are diesel. Which makes me wonder why these guys buy them. Now who knows what they do with them on the weekend, but just makes you wonder...

Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by GoCamping
I thought I saw somewhere that the gas take rate was something like 40% but I figured that was mostly the work truck XLs for fleets.

However last time I went camping I saw two 6.2s with TT trailers, either XLT or Lariat trim. Was wanting so bad to talk to those guys about them but didn't want to look like a stalker either lol. Didn't get the chance, but maybe next time.

I have seen more than I expected at campgrounds, so it makes me think they are really up for the task.

What's funny though is that around town all the unloaded pretty trucks are diesel. Which makes me wonder why these guys buy them. Now who knows what they do with them on the weekend, but just makes you wonder...

yeah actually most of the diesels I see in my area are never work they are just commuters......this to me is just people wanting a diesel because of the power.....I cant lie I wanted one for the same reason but my driving habits would kill one. I would have nothing but issues so I opted out and got the gasser and I love it! I think there are lots of people using a diesel where a 6.2 would do just fine its the diesel craze I guess.....

Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around my area, most of the Townships and Boroughs are buying Superduty's with the 6.2. I have a friend who works for the local water and sewer dept. and all they will buy are gas engines.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 PM
judithgap
Senior User
I recently traded my 08 6.4 diesel F250 4x4 for a 2013 6.2 F350 4x4 with 4:30 rearend. I have missed to power of the diesel at times but I am satisfied with the 6.2.
As most with the 6.4's will tell you it is not good for use as a daily driver around town because of the exhaust systems. They are very heavy on maintenance needs and expensive to maintain.
The 6.2 has more than enough power for my needs and I don't have to deal with regens.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM
BigMix
Senior User
On every dealer lot around here there are only 1 gas for every 10 diesels. The only 6.2 other than mine that I see on the road are fleet, even then most fleet here are diesel.

I've only seen a few privately owned diesels being used for work, most are just an over paid status symbol

Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GoCamping

When I was Disney's Fort Wilderness in the fall of 2012, there were mostly Ford 350s and Dodge 3500s in the loop. I was one of 3 F150s which mine was the oldest. The other 2 were new like 2011 or 12s cause they were EBed. 2 Toyotas in a 5er config no less. I spoke with the one guy that was about 4 sites away and he was nice enough to trade notes and let me sit in the driver's seat for a few minutes while his family was getting ready for the park. His was 2011 6.7 350 dually Crew Cab. He absolutely loved the truck. He said out of any truck he owned, this one was his favorite by far.

As for talking with people about their tow vehicles, I found most are generally friendly. They give good honest advice about their truck. I camped next to a couple using their 2006 F250 6.0 for towing. He had something like 230K miles on the truck! The truck was in excellent shape and you would not have known it had that kind of mileage if you didn't turn the key. The owner said he never had a lick of trouble with the truck. All he did was regular maintenance and normal wear repairs like brakes. They invited me to the fire and I exchanged a few beers for the good conversation.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
F16Vip3r
Junior User
Happy 6.2 owner (who tows like a Diesel)

I'm about 3 hour north in Knoxville, and have noticed about the same ratio. I was at the dealer getting a key programmed and only saw 1 2013 6.2L. I love mine, but now that I upgraded to an 8200lb TT, wouldn't mind getting a newer Diesel as well. I just don't want to pay for it, and the 6.2 with 4.30 should be more than enough for my needs. Plus, I wouldn't want to get rid of ANY of the options that I've grown to love in my Lariat!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Every truck on a lot here smokes. I can't even find a 6.2L to test drive. I saw two 6.2L's at the campground last weekend, but never got to talk with either owner. Neither were pulling a rig my size, but I'd have liked to talk.

I eat, breathe, and $h1t diesel. If you cut my finger, diesel fuel drips out. There are even soot stains in my underwear. That said, I am seriously looking at the 6.2L next, but if I can't ever find one local to drive, I may wait and see what 2015 brings. I just rolled 53k, so by next spring, I'll be over 80k, and gearing up to move on. Maybe that 6.2L EcoBoost will be out, or a more efficient diesel.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mostly fleet trucks that I come across...

When I test drove a 6.2 (back in mid-2010), it was a regular cab XL w/ 3.73's. Not really optimal for what I was looking for from a comparisons sake, but I'm in no way disappointed with my decision.

The 6.2 with a tuner is fun too...

Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
There are quite a number of loaded 6.2's around here, of course the 6.7's out number them 10 to 1 but I see quite a few very nice ones including some contractors using loaded 6.2's.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
hello,

You know I realized what the point of the thread was. LOL I was tired last night. OT makes the truck payment go by faster. While camping, most tow vehicles were diesels in a DRW CC chassis. On the road locally, I have seen a mix 80/20 mix Diesel/gas. I see at least two gassers a day while I see a number of diesels at the same time. I am going for all generations of the truck for the last 14 years. Quite frankly, I just look to see which Ford the driver has Nothing more. Most people think I drive an oversize never will see work type truck since mine is so pretty. I'll make sure looks can be deceiving.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
over the last couple of months I have only seen a handful of the 6.2 in XLT or higher trim around here.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Around here I'd say it's 80-90% diesels. Lots of Ag business in these parts, so I'm betting most of those get worked regularly. I have a buddy with a 350 KR dually with the 6.7. He's pretty happy with his overall, has close to 30K on it already. He's had to be towed in twice, but second time looks like they got it fixed and no other issues.

He has his serviced at the dealer, and he did tell me that every other service costs him $500 for the 6.7, as they change fuel filters (and other service too?) . Ouch is all I can say about that. He's a guy that needs the power for pulling Ag equipment and stock trailers.

I wonder how many people are aware BEFORE they buy them what the extra maint costs are. Kind of feel sorry for the pavement princesses that buy without researching. I was only looking at gas because of my light duty needs. But factoring in the higher maint and higher fuel costs, it would take me a LONG time to pay for the diesel's benefits, if I ever broke even at all.

I guess for me the most important thing is that as long as each guy is happy with his truck, then that's all that truly matters. Who cares if I, or anyone else approves of someone else's trucks? The guy that's writing the checks has to be happy with it.

EDITED-- To make it easier to read, sorry for the confusion guys.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 AM
GMT
Junior User
I don't have the new 6.2L, as the little 5.4L still pulls me around. But the 500.00 charge every other visit to the dealer does make one wonder what needs to be done that costs so much. That might be a deal breaker for me if I ever decide to upgrade to a newer truck with the 6.2L.

Quick Reply: How many 6.2 super duty's in your area?