1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

(Pic Heavy) Ready to Roll - OR - I bit off more than I could chew!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Jim,

Great news.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:06 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Good to hear you have the major issue resolved. I can see the truck with the Mrs. and Mr. all cruising happily down old 66 while celebrating ten years of marital bliss.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So I had another gremlin to work out...the truck would run find up to 1500rpm and then crap out. It gave me a blazing top speed of 58mph! After trying various options, looking at fuel system, timing, etc. I discovered it was the Ignition Control Module. I had swapped in a Duraspark distributor and ICM years ago and somehow it would stumble around 1500rpm, drop to 950, and climb up to about 1200 again, but it sounded like the engine was going MUCH faster...and the timing light said the engine was near full advance.

Swapped in a new ICM andshe runs great!

Even made it to a local car show tonight!

And then I took a little vid...for what it's worth.

Six days to the big trip!

Peace,
Jim

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds and looks great! It is always nice to find the problem and fix it.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow....you are persistent! So...it looks like you're going to make that road trip over the 4th?? Congratulations!!

Dan

Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Ha ha! Dan...My daughter's 5 and she keeps saying to me "You just don't quit do you daddy?"

Not til the job's done.

Tomorrow morning I'm taking the truck out to my fishing hole, and then for a cruise around the county just to put some good miles on her and make sure she's running good before we head out on a 500 mile trip next week! I sure would have liked to have been at this point a couple weeks ago, but I'll take what I can get when I can get it!

Peace,
Jim

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
Ha ha! Dan...My daughter's 5 and she keeps saying to me "You just don't quit do you daddy?"

Not til the job's done.

Tomorrow morning I'm taking the truck out to my fishing hole, and then for a cruise around the county just to put some good miles on her and make sure she's running good before we head out on a 500 mile trip next week! I sure would have liked to have been at this point a couple weeks ago, but I'll take what I can get when I can get it!

Peace,
Jim
To bring this old interesting thread back to life. Did Blue50F make it on the anniversary trip?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
We made it!

Originally Posted by raytasch
To bring this old interesting thread back to life. Did Blue50F make it on the anniversary trip?
Hey! I'm glad you did. After our trip summer exploded with busyness (and business) and I always meant to give an update, but obviously didn't make it.

Round trip was over 700 miles, interstate, back roads, steep grades, country lanes, and city traffic. Blue ran all 700 without losing a single drop of oil. Part way through the odometer started crapping out so no info on mpg, but someday I'll map the route online and compare it to gas receipts and figure it out...someday.

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure...

We started off with a stop in Omaha. City traffic was a good trial of both the brakes and the acceleration. Not my favorite area to drive in but we had a good time.

Then we stayed in a cottage B&B in Brownville, NE.

The owners of the cottage loved the truck so much they begged us to be in the little town's Independence Day Parade the next morning. She called the parade master and got us a slot. We didn't plan on it so we had no candy to throw (which they still do at real parades) and no one to take a picture of us IN the parade, but we got a few from the cab!

I was glad they put us in front of the horses. No road apples to worry about!

We also stopped off at Indian Cave State Park. There are some surprisingly steep hills around the Missouri River with some great look outs; and then of course the cave itself which is too big to get a good picture of, but not terribly deep.

We were blessed with awesome weather. The hottest day was 80 degrees, and with 2x50 A/C we were grateful!

It's a narrow one-way trail through the park. Not great heights by any means, but some pretty steep hills.

A shot of the deepest part of the cave. There were some cool hieroglyphs but none of the pictures of them came out very good.

This is what I'd always hoped to have my truck for, and I'm blessed that this is not the only trip I've had it on over the years. As we cruised a part of K7 in Kansas my wife snapped this shot and got me in it. I'm cheesin' but I don't care. Yeah the truck's not perfect (and neither am I) but it was a lot of fun!

Everywhere we went people commented on the truck, told stories of Grandpa's old pickup, or remembering when they first came out, or projects they had back home. It's a rolling conversation starter. Thanks to all the guys on FTE who answered my barrage of questions trying to figure things out and get things done. Blue's still running great and will hopefully get a Jag front end swap next summer...maybe paint too? We'll see how generous the next few months are!

Never done...

Peace,
Jim

Last edited by Blue50F-1; 09-09-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling