Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

oil centrifuge

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil centrifuge

has anyone here used one of these, or a smiler product?

Dieselcraft.com Engine Oil Cleaning Inline Engine Oil Cleaning Centrifuges

Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Kleenax
Senior User
dieselcraft

Originally Posted by turtlemann14
has anyone here used one of these, or a smiler product?

Dieselcraft.com Engine Oil Cleaning Inline Engine Oil Cleaning Centrifuges
I have not used one, but did research it extensively when I was setting up for biodiesel production. Wanted to use it for waste oil cleaning. Go to any biodiesel forum and you will find information on them with a few searches.
This is one of the groups on yahoo that I belong to for biodiesel:

Biodiesel@yahoogroups.com

Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 120 GPH kit from PA Biodiesel and have put a couple hundred gallons of various oils through it. It does a good job of cleaning the oil as long as you get the temperature high enough -- I remember 175 degrees is about the minimum, and heating 55 gallons of oil to that temperature with a 300-watt band heater takes the better part of a day.

Also, you want to do as many "passes" as reasonably possible to get the oil as clean as possible. I think I used 8-10 passes for a batch. 120 GPH / 55 gallons = 2.18 passes per hour, so figure on 4-6 hours for 8-10 passes.

I didn't have good luck with WMO in my 84 F-350 (blue smoke, loss of power), so I gave the equipment to a friend to use for his Deuce.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive had really good results running WMO, kinda lol.. truck runs good on it but i believe my not filtering it sufficiently led to my pump failure.

A guy i work with has one of these on his 02 Cummins and loves the thing, goes on and on about how the oil stays light brown instead of turning black. Changes his oil every 10k now etc. I am planning on installing one on my 92 eventually.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Fordidipower
Senior User
I bought the same one from PA And I love it. Had good results and I only do one pass but my oil is pretty clean already.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
lol this is for your engine oil, a centrifuge to clean your engine oil while your engine is running.

but i am going to make a wmo centrifuge as well (12" at 6000rpm. aka ~6000G)
hell i might just make both of them.

i was just wondering if it was more of a gimmick, obviously it's well over priced, just like a wmo centrifuge.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:40 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
lol this is for your engine oil, a centrifuge to clean your engine oil while your engine is running.

i was just wondering if it was more of a gimmick, obviously it's well over priced, just like a wmo centrifuge.

Why not just run a bypass filter, such as Frantz?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 AM
flainn
Posting Guru

Oh, missed that part. The centrifuges are the same; the only difference is, the one for making fuel stays in your shed and the one for cleaning your engine oil goes in your engine compartment. Just different fittings, is all; your engine has already heated the oil to filtration temperature, so no heaters needed.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Fordidipower
Senior User
Just got the link to work and I'm going to have to call bs on there little pic. The carbon in oil is not even close to 1 micron. So the color doesn't change. My centro filters to 1/2 mic and the oil is still completely black after a pass. So that is bs. Doesn't matter how many times you cycle oil through it if the particles are smaller than the jets the it won't filter it out. The ONLY tho g multiple passes helps with is dewatering. But it only takes one pass to get particulates out. Just FYI

Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fordidipower
Just got the link to work and I'm going to have to call bs on there little pic. The carbon in oil is not even close to 1 micron. So the color doesn't change. My centro filters to 1/2 mic and the oil is still completely black after a pass. So that is bs. Doesn't matter how many times you cycle oil through it if the particles are smaller than the jets the it won't filter it out. The ONLY tho g multiple passes helps with is dewatering. But it only takes one pass to get particulates out. Just FYI
I agree with you -- I haven't found any filtration or centrifuging method that will change the color of used diesel oil, period. I've seen quite a few people claim they have a way, but it sure hasn't worked for me.

I always wondered if I would've had better luck if I only ran used gasoline engine oil and not used diesel oil. Should be a lot less sub-micron carbon in that stuff, especially if the oil hasn't been "pushed".

Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Well im tellin ya guys, ive seen the oil coming out of Denny's 02 and it looks like gasser oil after 3k. Except his oil is in a turned up cummins that does nothing but tow and gets changed every 10k. It looks exactly like the picture comparing the two that they have in the link. He said when he first put it in, you couldnt tell a difference. But every subsequent oil change the oil stays lighter and lighter.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
shouldn't carbon be lighter than oil? aka be the first thing out of the bowl?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Fordidipower
Senior User
Look up how a centrifuge works and explain to me how it could possibly filter beyond its jet size. Now if it was a screen then yes as it collects it could possibly become harder to get thing through it but not a centro and especially not one sized at 1 micron.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
a centrifuge works by weight, the higher the velocity the more gravity it creates.

a 12" rotor at 6000 rpm is just over 6000 G's (aka 6000 times more weight than when it's not spinning). one pound will become 3 tons.

the oil enters the rotor and is slung to the side were the heavier partials are stuck to the outside wall and the lighter oil fills up the rotor until it spills over the top.

the only thing the jets do is spin the rotor

Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
My dad had a centrifuge on his Freightliner (he called it a spinner filter). He ran Mobil 1 oil. Changed oil filters and added makeup oil every 15,000 miles on the 12L detroit. At 260,000 miles Detroit tore down the engine and said there was barely any measurable wear on the engine.

Dad is meticulous about maintaining his vehicles but Detroit wanted a test engine and guaranteed the engine for the test. I don't know what brand they used but it was still on the truck when it 6 yrs old and sold.

Dad said it kept the oil very clean. For normal small trucks, I'd say that $600 would buy a lot of oil and filters. It would take me probably 15 yrs to spend that much as I put less than 2,000 miles a year on my trucks. I do use full synthetic oils.