Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

What is the truth about FAT from leftover foods being good for DOGS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the truth about FAT from leftover foods being good for DOGS?

I have heard it makes their coats shine, and all kinds of things.

BUT IF THAT STUFF IS BAD FOR US, how bad is it for our little furry ones?

I think I have been hearing wrong things, and I wonder about that for my puppies sake...

Rufuss deserves nothing but good!

He is my best friend, and I don't want to poison him

Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since they eat their own poop and vomit, I can't imagine how a little fat could hurt them.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Hmm . You have a point. But they theoretically do that because there is residual food stuff in it.

If they get too much - it could CAUSE that

Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Nothing like dragging up an old post..

The miserable truth, as now understood by many doctors is mind blowing. Fat is good for dogs, and for us too. It has recently been accepted by multiple countries that the saturated fat of animal meat is GOOD for us, does not make us fat, does not make us die rapidly, does not raise cholesterol but does give us many health advantages.
Fortunately for me, I did not believe all the crap the doctors spouted out about fat, so have been eating it happily for years, and still living.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
I'm another one who does not buy all the hype about fat in foods.. Sure if you have a strict bacon only diet it will probably cause problems.. Also, I'm sure each persons system processes the fats a little different, so what is good for you might not be so good for me.. Who knows, I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV...

The thing that worries me is the margarines, hell, they have a half-life of nuclear waste, they won't even support mold.. I know this for a fact, I set an empty (it had a few scraps around the edges) container out on the back porch one spring and left it there for almost a year, when I remembered it and opened it up it looked as good as the day it was put out... So. I'm thinking that stuff would do a fair job of clogging arteries!!!!

As far as our furry little friends go, I have always fed my dogs the left overs, and have never had any that didn't make it to a ripe old age.. Except for a Saint Bernard that died from congestive heart failure, and the vet said it was a trait of the breed.. Actually he was one dog that never got table scraps, now I think maybe I should have given him "people" food after all, maybe he would have made it past 5½ years if I had..

Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Oh! Bacon is a thing you want to fear - and for good reason.
DID YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT BACON IS MADE OUT OF? And HOW???

The "PINK SALT" used to cure it is a proven carcinogen. I'll be back in a minute, I need to look something up...

Sodium Nitrite is used to cure pork bellies in the United States, always has been - and that is what Bacon is!

Most people don't have a clue about that...
What does the price of Pork Bellies have to do with anything? Now you know...
It is what bacon is made out of.

Sodium Nitrite, is not to be confused with sodium Nitrate - which is a fertilizer

It kills bacteria, yes. It kills many other things as well, especially if we develop a toxic level of it - and yet...

WHAT IS THE AMERICAN STANDARD FOR BREAKFAST? BACON and Eggs!

It is much worse for us if it is charred, because it concentrates it...

There are alternative ways to make bacon - and I suggest you look them up online. It can be made with other salts, potassium chloride for one (LIGHT SALT).

Please go and look on WIKIPEDIA before you buy any more of that. I'm serious

~But the wonderful flavor hooks us, and it's so easy to get -

Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
MMMMMMMM------Bacon......

Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM
theologian
Postmaster
We don't eat Bacon - don't like it, and we make our own sausages.. Our breakfasts are great. We tried the none chemical bacon before we stopped trying to eat it - made with the juice of celery - it wasn't worth the extra cost, so now we don't bother eating the stuff.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:08 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
GROW CELERY! But then, you have all the rest to do...

WHY do we want it at all?

Because there is fat in it, and fat tastes good, because we are biologically programmed to GRAB IT if we can...

~It is the stored carbo's that a different body took in.

Best to grow potatos, it worked for the Irish, didn't it?

Bacon is intended to be cheap in the first place (PORK GUTS, not otherwise used...) and makes a profit for the butcher/knacker on things no one else wanted
It is considered a "SOUL FOOD" for this reason. Those who had nothing had it to get by on

Far cheaper in fact, than salted or "CORNISH" beef, and will stay good for a long while in storage

Then there is "POTTED MEAT" which is made of all sorts of leftovers.

BACON, POTTED MEAT and CORNED BEEF are sold for human consumption...

*Corned or CORNISH beef, are cuts of the least appetising beef cattle that have been stored in brine until it frankly changes it. Brisket is used, because it is a "THROW AWAY"
~It was originally put up for ships going out to sea, and I think Wales (the nation of) is famous for it. Welsh people are considered "CORNISHMEN", thus: "Cornish Beef"

And yet cooked well - you can't keep me out of it!!! Even though corned beef is ruinous - filled with fat and salt!

I don't care - the flavor is outstanding...

Why is that?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
theologian
Postmaster
The people of Cornwall are Cornish, Dutch, the people of Wales are Welsh.. Corned beef is pretty gross, if you leave out the spices. I once needed to go ask questions of someone in a meat processing plant, where they made potted meat. It was in the poorest part of London, UK, and I saw both what they put into it and how they made it. This was in the mid seventies; I have not eaten potted meat since. I do, however, eat Sissy's bottled meat - called canned in the US.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Ah - I wasn't aware of that. And if anyone takes what Theo said for granted - try this:

Put a can of corned beef, or even corned beef hash in a steamer, drain the water resulting from this into a tall glass container, and chill it in the fridge.

When you see how much fat is in there (HARD FAT) it will scare you silly!

10% fat is necessary - over that is terrible, and will mount up in debilitating effects over time. There are at least two services fat provides us:
Lubrication of our bone joints
STORED calories

I wonder now, what the percentage of vegetarians is that suffer from severe arthritis? Much UNSATURATED FAT is in veggies though - it is the ones who go on ZERO FAT diets that wreck themselves the worst.

Consider what the cartilage in kneecaps has to be made of...

If it isn't slippery enough, they self destruct from normal use.

~Or did you think the human body somehow produced KEVLAR for that?

I'd like more info about Sissies "Bottled Meat", would she be willing to PM it?

BTW: I still have a ballcap for her, and a part for your bike

Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Saturated animal is the only natural we have in our bodies, and we do so for a reason. We need it for many reasons not least being the preferred food for our brains. The life of low fat, no fat has thrown havoc into the human body, causing massive health problems because of the universal acceptance of vegetable oils which all are completely alien to any mammal. Of course there are thousands of doctors who would disagree with me, but then they only studied the opinions of other doctors, whereas I have researched everything I could find about the subject, often not paying any attention to the rantings of mis-informed folk with MD tagged onto their names.

Fat in the saturated form is what we are made of, and what we need to survive. I will continue to munch the stuff happily, looking a hell of a lot younger than my sixty odd years, and fitter than most folk ten years younger, who do avoid fat, and find themselves falling apart. What fun.

Sissy's Bottled meat is very simple. Get a pressure canner - to ensure that the bugs in meat cannot survive. Then pick a chunk of meat, cut into i inch bits, pack into a pint or quart Ball jar, and put it in the canner for the required time. The only thing to add, is a chunk of pure fat, if the meat is lean, but as we don't buy lean meat we usually have enough fat on the meat to bring out the flavour.

We have started a minimalist idea for food, doing away with all that could be regarded as spice, with amazing results. Sissy is quite impressed which is good, having her happy is what makes my life worth while.

Since retiring, I have kept boredom away with research - I now look into all sorts of things, getting myself thoroughly annoyed with the amount of pure crap that is taught in schools and colleges. This pure crap is then passed on to another generation who find themselves less healthy and less informed than their grandparents; who learned things in school that are no longer taught. The resulting mayhem this world is aiming for would be terrifying were I young enough to give a ****. As it is, I look at how the world rushes into chaos, and make sure I have enough beside me to prevent it getting into my area.

No doubt, Dutch, we will see the ballcap and the part, when we come to see you. Not sure when this will be, things are not going as smoothly as I would hope - apparently the tornado in Oklahoma on Friday did something to an important document package that I needed, with regard to the property purchased.. Don't know how long it will take to regenerate it, but I can't do anything until that document is in my hands, signed and dealt with.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
The model I look at is calories expended, ~vs~ calories taken in, regardless.
Surrounding that is all the fiber, minerals, and vitamins we need as well.

You can burn up anything you eat, if you expend enough energy - even a years supply of mars bars! At a point, when we run through all our fat stores, the body cannibalizes itself.

So it is very much like a "Teeter Totter"

The best thing I've found for QUICK energy is RICE, believe it or not - it metabolises fast, and is a complex carbo, rather than a simple sugar. Cooked rice also spoils faster than anything I can think of.
Mexican cuisine also includes rice - and a rice drink is made that is sweetened with sugar and spices. I'm not sure how it is made

Woola is watching me from her carbi box. I think I'm forgiven for getting her all wet!

CARBOHYDRATE = CALORIES
FAT=For Another Time

~All of which is sports nut knowlege

The other thing rice is good for is remembering the formula for sports injury recovery:
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation