Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM
New User

Guitargene82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help me figure out what I have... 01 F-250 with S/C 5.4L

So... I bought a rusty truck (from Michigan, I'm in SC) that has a 5.4l s/c (supercharger appears factory based on the valve cover label). The po claims that he worked for Ford and when the stock 5.4 went out on him three years ago, he bought the s/c engine from the factory and put it, along with a new tranny (body lift to accommodate, etc). He said that they pulled every 75th engine off the line and checked them for quality control, so this was a "zero mileage" engine. I don't know enough about engines to say that he wasn't being upfront with me, but he says this is a lightning motor. Obviously, the lightning model truck was not in production three years ago....

So, is this possibly a crate motor? Is it from whatever 5.4 s/c truck they may have had in production three years ago? All I know is that it is smoking' fast for such a big truck and it seems to run great. My reason for asking is for when I need parts, tuner, etc. I would like to know what I'm looking at...

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM
New User

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM
New User

Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 PM
New User

06malibu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Id look for vin numbers on the block. But non the less thats a pretty rare truck
Old 05-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Senior User

stoffer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06malibu View Post
Id look for vin numbers on the block. But non the less thats a pretty rare truck

it's a 5.4 block, it has 2 valve heads...

what I'd be worried about is it being a n/a motor (higher compression cast pistons VS lower compression forged pistons)

all in all it loks well put together, BUT I have no idea if the ECM was tuned via an aftermarket device OR a factory reflash
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Senior User

Gen 1 driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffer View Post

it's a 5.4 block, it has 2 valve heads...

what I'd be worried about is it being a n/a motor (higher compression cast pistons VS lower compression forged pistons)

all in all it loks well put together, BUT I have no idea if the ECM was tuned via an aftermarket device OR a factory reflash
Appears to have the factory Eaton SC in it. If it was in fact a lightning a lightning motor and he had it tuned for the Lightning motor you are in good shape.

If it is a stock NA 5.4 he added the eaton to you need to get a tune on it.
If you go WOT with the stock NA motor you are going to go way lean and burn a piston.

We have pulled many Eatons off Gen 2 lightnings and replaced with Whipples. the used Eatons are going for under $400.00.

You have been given some good advise. find the block SN and find out if it was a NA motor or not. If it was a NA motor and he just added the Eaton get it to a tuner. You may need to go with bigger injectors depending on how much boost you are pushing. If the truck does not have a boost gauge get one.

Sorry can't tell you exactly what you have but like A**holes everybody has an opinion and above is mine.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Elder User

garryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitargene82 View Post
I would love to have a lightning motor in my 02 F350! I have the ZF6, so no trans worries. I have a Whipple s/c on my Excursion, and as soon as we leave Alaska and get to the lower 48, I need to have a tuner check it over, and get rid of the boost-a-pump, and got to a larger fuel pump and larger injectors, and ditch the Whipple box, for a custom tune. That way when I have any problems I can go to a tuner since Whipple no longer supports much for this system.

Good luck on the ID. Is your SD an auto?

Garry in Kodiak.
2000 Excursion 6.8 4x4 Limited. Stock for now...
1932 Ford "Model B" Pick-up (wtg for restoration)
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150