1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

My 62

Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM
62ESQ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 62

I think I finally figured out how to post photos. I spent Saturday going thru the engine, replacing oil, etc. Re-attched the choke cable and put on some new shocks. The engine starts and runs real smoothly. Not sure where to start with a restoration since I'm new to this, but decided to fix little things in the interior. A paint job is a ways off yet. Fixed vent controls and added seabelts. Did a thorough cleaning inside and out.

Has anyone tried replacing the little glove box springs. My glove box door is partially open and I found that the right side spring appears to be missing. do you have to take out the enire box just to change the springs?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
You have to remove the box. You can get new box springs at several suppliers on line, check the list at the top of the forum first. If you order new springs, get some rubbers for the glove box and go through the on line catalog for other small rubber stuff you may need.

A nice quiet interior is a real selling point to the wife so a a great place to start on these old trucks is on the door seals, vent windows and an anti rattle kit. Easy stuff and it does wonders for your sanity.

If you repaint the interior, most likely all you will have to do is lightly cuff up the old paint or use a liquid scuffer/primer and rattle can paint it. New seat uphostry and matching visors and new carpet are a nice way to finish off the interior. This phase will spend about $900 to $1100 depending on how much the uphostry job is.

The next phase may be to replace the floor boards, steps, etc. if they need it..... and so on.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM
62ESQ
New User
Thanks. I thought I'd have to remove the box. When I looked under the dash I could see the remaining spring but couldn't see how to get to it. I do need to address the window seals. The wind wing vent window seals are terrible. The one on the right is sealed shut with black adhesive goop.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
For first time old iron buyers.

More free advice.... for first time old iron buyers.

Take a lot of pictures with your cell phone or cameral, before pictures saves you a lot of trouble, even the simple stuff like how the tear drop shaped retainer on the bottom of the vent windows is important, how tight the nuts are compressing springs (picture of number of threads showing).

For a daily driver always do these things:

Replace all hoses, belts, and all oils. Tranny, rear end, and engine.

Replace single master cyclinders with a duel system split to front and back, remember the back gets fluid first.

Replace all rubber brake lines.

Slam test the brake system in an open parking lot, better to fail there than in traffic.

If you have not refurbiished your wiring, get a quick disconnect for one post of the battery so you can kill everything quickly.

If you have not refurbished your complete brake system, test your brake system before you need it..... like a half block from the stop sign or light.

If you hear a wierd noise,.... just turn up the radio. Just kidding.

Tell the wife or significant other, if the red oil light comes on, stop as soon as you can, check oil and refill before proceeding, check for leaks. My friend's wife came into his house and said, "The oil light came so so I hurried home."

good luck.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM
62ESQ
New User
Great advice! I have a lot to do!