1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sand Blasters

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or if I really want to get wild, I might be able to afford this guy.

Ingersoll Rand 20 Gallon Air Compressor: Get More Air Power with Sears

Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 PM
oldwi
Senior User
Originally Posted by TBHHUNT
Or if I really want to get wild, I might be able to afford this guy.

Ingersoll Rand 20 Gallon Air Compressor: Get More Air Power with Sears

After wavering back and forth between continuing to wait until a more powerful compressor was in my budget I finally decided to go with a Puma 6060V 60 gal tank like this one on the Northern Tool website.

Puma Belt-Drive Stationary Vertical Air Compressor — 60-Gallon Vertical, 3 HP, 12 CFM, Model# PK6060V | 10 - 20 CFM| Northern Tool + Equipment

I was able to find that compressor at a local Farm store for only $399. At 12CFM I hope it does an adequate job for what I need. I am at the stage where a larger compressor would really help and with a limited budget the price difference between this compressor and some higher CFM models I was looking at was really hard to justify even though I really wanted one that would put out at least 18CFM or more. Once I am done with the body work on my 55 the compressor will likely see little use and the money saved from buying a more expensive one will be put to good use on getting some much needed parts.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
COLEMAN POWERMATE AIR COMPRESSOR

good deal? I might pick it up tomorrow if you guys think it is. When I check it out, what should I look for so I don't get screwed?
I'm going to offer $450

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Put the 500.00 in the bank and add to it untill you have a couple hundred more. Coleman is one of the companies notorious for using doctored specs to look like more than it is. For example it is not physically possible for an electric motor to put out 6.5 hp on only 15A. That compressor is a toy, no better than a contractor's compressor used with nail guns, save your money.

This is the minimum size compressor I'd suggest buying: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._158284_158284
This is what I have in my shop: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7720_200367720

Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
HkyswiM
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My buddy has that red craftsman compressor. It works fine for painting, impact tools, and smaller air consumption tools. He used the harbor freight inline sander with it last year and it worked but breaks were needed for the compressor to keep up. Overall it's a good compressor for the home garage, but if your going to use yours for more than that I would save for a few months and get a larger one.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
IMHO, none of those sears compressors are good for more than airing up tires. Certainly not nearly enough for sandblasting or painting. Trying to do any real work with one will lead to frustration having to stop every 5 minutes to let it catch up. A agree with ax and save your money for real tools and equipment. The good stuff is an investment that will do the job and last a lifetime.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:12 PM
rastiss
Senior User
kaeser or IR screw compressor, kaeser refrigerated drier, Transair air lines, SATA or Anest Iwata guns, dessicant air filter. this combo yields the cleanest, driest air that any paint/filter rep that comes to my shop has seen. perhaps not for everyone though....

Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rastiss
kaeser or IR screw compressor, kaeser refrigerated drier, Transair air lines, SATA or Anest Iwata guns, dessicant air filter. this combo yields the cleanest, driest air that any paint/filter rep that comes to my shop has seen. perhaps not for everyone though....
Nice, but big bucks setup, obviously for a professional paint shop, not for a hobbyist home shop. I have a small refrigerated air drier for painting I picked off ebay.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Nojive55
Senior User
I have a 10 year old cheap oiless air compressor (Sears) and borrowed the exact same blaster mentioned at the start of this thread. It took about 100 pounds of sand to figure out how to operate it but finally got the hang of it. The bad part was the valve that adjusts the sand flow is manual so you almost have to run the blaster nozel with one hand and keep the sand flow adjusted with the other; it also helps to keep a steady flow with no stops, otherwise it kind of limits your mobility. I have not checked out any other blasters (as long as I can borrow this one) but one with an automatic sand flow regulator would be a step up.
It is nice to have professional grade equipment but you can get by with less.
Definitely use a water filter between the compressor and blaster, the cheap Sears one worked just fine.

Last edited by Nojive55; 05-01-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Air compressor

picking this up tomorrow. 60 gallon 6.5 hp, 150 psi. $450, going to offer 400.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
husky cast iron pump 60gallons 240volts (air compressors)
or one of these, dang, hard to make up my mind

Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
If my only choice was those, I'd pick the Husky over the no name? homebuilt? one.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 AM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
If my only choice was those, I'd pick the Husky over the no name? homebuilt? one.
I ended up getting the blue one. He was asking $450. Talked him down to $340. I forgot the brand, but It's made in the usa, 1999. It's a really good compressor. glad I went with that one. It came out of a defunct shoe factory, all hand made shoes. It closed and they were selling off all of their equipment. Now to find a sand blaster...

Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy
Well firstly, you'll need a good size compressor to run a sandblaster, they are very air hungry. I also run an impact wrench, air ratchet, cut off wheel, die grinder, nibbler, tyre inflator, air chisel, drill, mini buffing/stripping wheel, long board sander, orbital sander, blow down gun, kerosene cleaning gun, stone guard gun, spray paint guns. Basically without my compressor my shop would stop.
Ok guys, now that I got my compressor, I am looking to complete my arsenal of tools. I am looking at home depot, for my compressed tools. For removing of stuck bolts, what amount of torque should I be looking for in my 1/2 inch drive and 3/4 drive etc? is there such thing as too much, risking breaking these old, stuck bolts?
I have never used these compressed tools before, So this is a first time thing for me.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TBHHUNT
Ok guys, now that I got my compressor, I am looking to complete my arsenal of tools. I am looking at home depot, for my compressed tools. For removing of stuck bolts, what amount of torque should I be looking for in my 1/2 inch drive and 3/4 drive etc? is there such thing as too much, risking breaking these old, stuck bolts?
I have never used these compressed tools before, So this is a first time thing for me.
First don't buy your air tools from HD! The IR tools are low end hobbyist quality, you might as well buy from Harbor Freight, about the same quality at 1/2 the price. Low end air tools use low quality bearings/bushings/gears and low grade air motors. They compensate by leaking a lot of air to keep them cool, raising the air consumption dramatically, running your small compressor out of air quickly. This is especially true of their sanding tools. I have an assortment of IR tools that I was given as gifts by well meaning relatives. Only a few are even worth using. I do have some harbor freight tools I bought or was given that are OK for occasional use. Buy higher quality tools for extended use or where power is needed.
First get a good 25' 3/8" id flexible air hose. One sold for a pro nail gun use will stay flexible when cold and won't twist up easily. Avoid the cheap plastic and self coiling ones. Get a supply of matching quick connects. buy the steel ones, not the brass ones! be sure to get both male and female thread ones (male end) for the tools (most tools use male threaded, but you will occasionally run across one that uses a female thread. Put two winds of teflon tape on the threads, being careful not to cover the bore. I set my line pressure for 90# on the compressor regulator, but I have a couple compact regulators set up with quick connects that I can use between the hose and tool for fine tuning a tool that runs too fast.
Here are my recommendations based on my experience with them:
1. 1/2" drive impact wrench. I love my Aircat 1000 !!! It is smaller and lighter than most others, but every bit as if not more powerful, but best of all it is super quiet, you don't need earmuffs or warn the neighbors when using this wrench. HIGHLY recommended! Available at Northern Tool.
2. DA sander. I don't press hard when using a sander (you shouldn't) but the IR 6" I was given stops almost as soon as it touches the surface. NOT recommended! I soon after purchased a Dynabrade 6" palm style DA sander, it's a working fool and much more comfortable to use for extended time. Highly recommended! Watch for deals on ebay.
3. Longboard sander. maybe more useful when doing body work than the DA. You can longboard sand by hand, but a good air longboard sander makes short work of sanding larger panels without bumps or ripples when used properly and with stick on longboard paper. I also have and recommend a Dynabrade.
4. 3" cut off tool. Not used for extended time, recommend Harbor Freight (HF).
5. 1/4" collet arbor angled die grinder. Not used often or for extended time, but quite useful for 2 or 3" sanding disks, abrasive pads. Recommend HF.
6. 3/8" reversible angle drill. Great for drilling in tight spaces, can substitute for angled die grinder above (lower speed) if budget is tight buy first. Recommend HF
7. High speed metal saw. This miniature reciprocating saw is a cutting fool that you will find many uses for. Well worth the 18.99 sale price at HF. Be sure to pick up extra blades!
8. blow gun, swivel tire inflator chuck.
9. After the basics, you can add other tools as you find a need: air chisel, scaler, metal shears, nibbler, 3/8" drive ratchet, etc.

NEVER buy a HF tool at full price! look in their flyers and online for sales, in the ads in the auto enthusiast mags for coupons (always a 20% off one item coupon there when you need something right now that isn't on sale).

Quick Reply: Sand Blasters