General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Advice to Northerners moving to the South

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 08:25 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once bought a bag of them and put them under the seat thinking I get them when I parked but instead forget about them. Let me tell ya, once they got "Ripe" the smell was horrible!

Old 09-16-2002, 08:37 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't take much for them to get ripe! Eeeeeuuuuuwwwwww!

Old 09-17-2002, 11:53 AM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this on the wall of a small cafe in the Ozarks: "You know you're from the Ozarks whaen your fanily tree doesn't have any branches."

I lived in Saint Marys Georgia for about six months. Now, understand that you cain't GIT no further southeast in Georgia than St. Marys, cause if ya do, y'all'r in the ocean! I liked it. They had a small video store there that I went to and opened an account. The manager asked me "Are you in the military?" I said no, I've been out for about four years. He said "Well, I guess that's close enough." He gave me the military discount for 15% off video rentals.:-)

One day I was driving home in my Mazda pickup and stopped at a red light. Two boys about 11 or 12 pulled up beside me on their bicycles and asked "Hey mister, can you give us a ride to the city park? It's only about a mile." I said "Yea, throw your bikes in the back and climb in." I gave them a lift. Never seen 'em before or since.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:17 AM
Chuck 6083
Elder User
Location: Where they take the census by counting the appliances on the front porch and multiplying by five

In all fairness to Northerners, I tend to think it's a rural vs. city thing.

When I was in service I had a great many friends from upstate NY, small town Ohio,rural Mich., and other "foreign" places and they were quite friendly and good-natured.

Most of the ones I met that came from the big cities (especially NYC) were quite unlikable, distrustful, rude, and didn't particularly care in general.

Not that all are that way, just seemed like a trend I noticed.

For that matter, I bet TK could set us straight about Atlanta. He's the only friendly person I've met from Atlanta. And Georgias such a friendly place! Atlanta's in the South but we've turned it over to you Notherners. It wutn' much good no how, since yaw burn nit!

Seriously, what do you think rural vs. city maybe?

No wait, I'm gettin' off topic again. Geez I do that alot.....

Chuck

Old 09-18-2002, 08:09 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

People in Atlanta are nice. Its just that Yankees mainly know the Yankees here and don't know the friendly folks who've grown up in the South.

My family has lived in Dixie for generations and we are neither stupid nor ignorant nor do we appreciate when someone suggests that we are. Southerners constantly get slammed by people thinking they're being "funny". Why don't some of these part time comedians visit BET and tell black jokes and see how funny they are then? Please, tell the Dixie jokes in private and we'll continue hate you privately. :P Tit for tat...

Old 09-18-2002, 08:57 AM
brienobrien
Elder User

I may be off base here, and I am sure "y'all" will let me know it if I am, but I don't think that in the heart of this matter lies any resentment between North/South. Other than jesting for fun, perhaps it is just a matter of some folks wanting to make themselves feel better than others. The way they do this is reflected in the issues they pick.

1) Rich vs Poor
2) North vs South
3) Yuppies vs Middle class
4) City vs Country
5) Sailboaters vs Powerboaters
6) Beautiful people vs Ordinary people
7) College educated vs High school educated
8) Native vs Immigrant
9) Black vs White
10) Buscuits vs Kittens (For Alan Scott)

I could go on and on but I am sure I have made my point. Perhaps it is human nature for people wanting to feel superior to others in their species. It may create a mind set that makes it easier, for the one who has personal shortcomings, real or imagined, to live with themselves. Sorry to take this to a pyschological level, but I think it may belong in that venue.
:-)

Old 09-18-2002, 07:11 PM
American Muscle
Junior User

>In all fairness to Northerners, I tend to think it's a rural
>vs. city thing.
>
>When I was in service I had a great many friends from
>upstate NY, small town Ohio,rural Mich., and other "foreign"
>places and they were quite friendly and good-natured.
>
>Most of the ones I met that came from the big cities
>(especially NYC) were quite unlikable, distrustful, rude,
>and didn't particularly care in general.
>

I agree with this, I've lived in several places, and here in the south has actually been one of the worst.

it's bad when you go outside in the morning and smell the poluted canals (and they smell REAL bad)

it's worse when you find out that the only thing to do here is to "go down to the french quarter and get blasted".

The All Y'all's thing is true here in New Orleans. maybe not in other places, but they do say All Y'all here.

It's the worst when you get flipped off by an 80 year old man (with his 100 year old wife in the passengerseat) because you were trying not to cut in front of a car while crossing an intersection.

Oh, btw, the old man changed his tune when I followed him into the mall parking lot and asked him if he'd like to do that to my face.

Even that ^^^^^^^ is bad, Road rage is horrible, especially here.

Of course, that's when you can actually FIND a road to drive on. Mostly your driving on potholes. Or, if your really unlucky, you might park your car, come back 20 minutes later and find it gone.... No, not stolen, (though that happens too) but SUNK.

Hey, maybe the south isn't so bad in other places, but I got 2 years of college left and after that, Nawlins can kiss my ....

Old 09-18-2002, 10:50 PM
askolejim
Freshman User

"Folks is folks" somebody said. I was born in the north and grew up among transplanted southerners who had come north to find work in the automobile and steelmaking industries. People made fun of them, called them "briarhoppers" mainly, sometimes "hillbillies", but I, for some reason, found them to be warm and friendly and in possession of a great deal of common sense. There were some idiots, but I saw that quality in a lot of "my" people too. I live in Texas now. I wasn't born here, but I got here just as soon as I could after I found out about it.

As for "y'all": If you ever watched the British comedy shows on PBS you may have noticed that their equivalent is "You lot".

A Georgia boy got laid off from his job and got out on I-95 and hitched a ride north. A trucker took him way up there and dropped him off in some small town. As small as it was it was pretty big to him in comparison to the one he was raised in. Wandering about, his actions caught the attention of a local police officer, who approached him and asked, "You got any I.D.?"
The Georgian's reply was, "'bout whut?" .

Old 09-19-2002, 09:03 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User

I think a lot of the "dumb hick" thing has a lot to do with the media. Just watch shows like The Dukes of Hazzard, or Momma's Family, and they portray the south as illiterate, ignorant, and idiotic. The 3 I's?
My parents retired and moved to Russellville, Arkansas. After a couple of years of the local "dumb hicks", they just couldn't take it anymore and move (up?) to Ft Smith, Arkansas. Bigger city, but I wouldn't say it was a move up. I have met a lot of intelligent and friendly people there, but the ones that stand out the most are the stereotypical "dumb hicks". They are not by any stretch a majority, but they do leave a lasting impression. I particularly enjoy watching the main mode of transportation-an old Chevy truck with no plates, no lights, and half of the time, no glass. 3 behemoths packed in the front seat with 4 more in the bed, and it's raining.
On my trips to Atlanta, most of the drivers do a fine job, but then again, the ones that stand out are the slowpokes in the left lane doing 50-55 in a 65 or 70 zone. When you pull up behind them, they just motor on, oblivious to the traffic they are holding up and the laws they are breaking. The worst part is, in case you haven't been to Atlanta, is that portions of the expressways there are up to 8 (yes, 8) lanes wide, but 8 cars will travel at 55 right next to each other, and noone moves.
Like I said, the majority of people there, and probably everywhere else, are polite and relatively intelligent, but the few that aren't leave a lasting impression.
Oh, by the way, a lot of the so called southerners were northerners 25 years ago, and a lot of the northerners that are moving south originally came from the south.

Old 09-19-2002, 09:31 AM
76supercab
Senior User

I like what someone else posted about rules for living in rural areas.

'Ok I see you're driving an $80,000 Mercedes. I'm not impressed. I have a $500,000 combine and drive it twice a year.'

Old 09-20-2002, 10:31 AM
brokebronco
Posting Guru

Here in Texas the folks driving the pickups at 55( that includes me also) will pull over into the breakdown lane so the faster vehicles behind can go on. If that ain't freindly I don't know what is.

By the way Brienobrian, #10 caused me to spit up my soda.

BROKEBRONCO
84 Bronco 351HO/C-6/208/10.25 Rear/D44TTB Soon to have D60 Front/NP435 Wait, it does have the NP435 now!
86 F250 351HO/C6/10.25 Soon to have a front axle and the ZF tranny

Old 09-20-2002, 02:25 PM
tw
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed my last trip down south. It is the only other place ive ever been where you can waive to enveryone you meet on the road, and they waive back. Speak to someone, they speak back. Being from rural wester Nebraska, it was just like home. The only difference ive found in areas of the south, is that the Texans tend to be just a little more proud of where they are from. You usually dont have to ask a Texan where he is from. In a goup of people from across the US I tend to always end up visiting with the lone star boys.

Tony Warren
Nebraska

Old 09-24-2002, 09:19 AM
hitecdan
Elder User

Old 09-25-2002, 02:37 PM
askolejim
Freshman User

RE: "Here in Texas the folks driving the pickups at 55( that includes me also) will pull over into the breakdown lane so the faster vehicles behind can go on. If that ain't freindly I don't know what is."

EXCEPT when in so doing they kick up a rock and crack your windshield. When I see them starting to slide over like that I drop way back and hope we come to a passing lane or he turns off somewhere. Spent too much money on those little "Star" repair kits. Besides, the DPS will stop you in a Dallas Minnit if they see you cross that solid white line on the right side road edge.

Old 09-26-2002, 01:20 AM
thoseapples
Senior User

Hey tw, I've seen a good deal of that friendly waving stuff in the southern states. I was in North Carolina heading toward Camp Lejeune last month.. about one in three people passing who I'd make eye contact with would give a nod and/or wave to me. Could have been gestures of welcome, as I'm from Wisconsin.. or they could just be nicer people overall. There were businessmen and blue collar-looking types, and everything between. Your average businessman up here is selfish and arrogant, and usually quite rude.
Stopped at a Mobil station in West Virginia on the trip down, some guy in a VW Bug pulled up and began eagerly asking questions about my Bronco. Found out he was a Ford lover and hated driving his boss' Bug. We talked for a few minutes over the pump and he left. In all my life, I've never had such a good-natured experience in my own home state.
Most of those people in the southern half must live very healthy and long lives. They seem to be always at ease and outward. Their public friendliness is almost stunning to people from around here, myself included.