1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Help with Tranny slipping.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 PM
traildad
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with Tranny slipping.

Hello. I have an 02 F150 with 183,000 miles. It has the 5.4L V8 with the 4R70W tranny and 3.55 LS axle. I was driving home on the freeway and started up a slight grade. I gave it a little gas to maintain my speed and the revs went up and my speed dropped. Every time I gave it some gas the revs went up but I didn't speed up. I made it the last few miles home. It seemed normal from a stop. I didn't experiment a lot so I am not sure if it is normal with the OD turned off. I haven't taken it to a shop yet. I hope to figure out if it needs replacement without spending money diagnosing on what might be an already dead tranny. I might be able to swap it out myself and I don't want to add to the cost with unnecessary work. How can I figure if the tranny needs replacement or can be repaired? Suggestions? Thanks

Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
That's not enough information to even guess which does not help you decide what to do..
A lot of action can happen depending on the cause.
The trans was in OD.
The RPM will go up if it downshifts out of OD and the converter unlocks and may or may not increase in road speed depending on throttle applied and the cause of the issue.
Was there any studder or missfire felt?
Does it do it if OD is locked out?
Does it only do it in OD between 45 and 60 mph with light throttle?
Did you ever see the OD lamp flash?
Are there any codes set pointing to the transmission.
Make those observations then come back with the results.
Good luck.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 PM
traildad
Cross-Country
Ok I will do the testing. As I mentioned the tranny is slipping. This is not a downshift. I was unable to maintain my speed even though the revs were climbing well beyond normal. I am asking what to do to help determine if the tranny is fixable or needs replacing. If getting codes read is mandatory I will do that. The reason I didn't mention shudder, misfire or flashing lights was because there was none. I tried to describe it as it happened. I will take it out and check it with OD on and off etc. Thanks

Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM
traildad
Cross-Country
I am testing it now. No light flashing. No problem with OD off. With OD on and driving between 65 and 70 it will gain 1500 rpm and maybe 1 mph. With OD off it will gain 10-15 mph and maybe 500 rpm. Works fine from a stop. The first couple minutes seemed normal until I pushed it beyond 75. Then it started slipping and still does. I noticed a wine or howl in park when it first acted up. When I started today I could not hear it. Now that it has slipped again the noise is back. Can I do anything more to test it myself? Do I need to have it checked for codes?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Any slip and RPM increase is the converter lockup or the OD band.
Normally a code will be present for any electrical malfunction.
I am trying to lead you through enough testing to make a reasonable decision that you came here for help on..
The reason is I don't assume anything.
For example (if) you felt studder or missfire under certain conditions it would not be the transmission but an igntion problem. Would you have noticed the difference?

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 PM
traildad
Cross-Country
I can add that I checked the fluid and it is up to the high side of the words "do not add". I have not added fluid, so unless they did it at the last oil change, it is reading high for another reason. I believe also that it smells burnt. Also when I say it acts normal from a stop, I mean normal for it. It has long seemed a little abnormal to me. It will sometimes have a pause and a hard shift into gear from a stop but it is nothing new.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 PM
traildad
Cross-Country
Well I went through the misfire tranny confusion before, so yes. As you may notice, my last sentence in the first post says "how can I figure if the tranny needs replacement or can be repaired" I was not asking for a guess of a conclusion from only the info in my first post. The info I included was to help someone tell me how and what to check for. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I appreciate the help. Thanks

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
shapleigh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by traildad
I can add that I checked the fluid and it is up to the high side of the words "do not add". I have not added fluid, so unless they did it at the last oil change, it is reading high for another reason. I believe also that it smells burnt. Also when I say it acts normal from a stop, I mean normal for it.
Might want to start with a full flush with fluid and filter change. This may be kind of "throwing parts at it" in a sense, but trying to diagnose problems in an over full tranny with toasted fluid is kind of silly, and it sounds like you should have done it a long time ago
It has long seemed a little abnormal to me. It will sometimes have a pause and a hard shift into gear from a stop but it is nothing new.
sounds like classic dirty filter warnings. I have no clue if it will help your slipping problem, but at least drain it to the proper level.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
traildad
Cross-Country
I can't say it has been serviced on time every time, but it has been kept up better in more recent times. You're right about the throwing parts at it. I want to avoid that as much as I can. If I have to spend thousands, I can't afford to spend anything that isn't absolutely needed or at least highly likely to fix the problem or very low cost. I wondered if the high level was a result of the damage or excess heat causing the fluid to expand more than normal.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM
traildad
Cross-Country
I know someone that had one of these transmissions fail completely. They were told to replace the radiator and cooler because of debris clogging the fluid cooling system. Is that normal and if so is it normally done every time the tranny is rebuilt or replaced?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
LucasMN
Junior User
I know someone that had one of these transmissions fail completely. They were told to replace the radiator and cooler because of debris clogging the fluid cooling system. Is that normal and if so is it normally done every time the tranny is rebuilt or replaced?
If you want to do it right you put another trans filter in place and flush the lines.

We cannot know for certain if your trans is shot. Bluegrass has given you pointers and troubleshooting suggestions.

You need to bring it to a shop for a proper diagnosis. They will take it for a test drive, drop the pan and inspect.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
A note:
If metal is found in the pan and on the magnet is a large quanity, the cooler lines, radiator cooler and Aux cooler need to be 'reverse' flushed with a hot cleaning appplication to back the metal out, otherwise what's left can wreck a rebuild or a replacement transmission.
If rebuilding from such a condition the trans must be disassembled, and throughly cleaned, for the same reason.
Good luck.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:04 PM
traildad
Cross-Country
I was finally able to drop the pan. I guess the filter was never changed even though the tranny was serviced once by the dealer and a few other times at some oil change places. I don't see any debris in the pan so I am going to replace the filter, refill and cross my fingers. I didn't know what to look for when I pulled the pan to check for a torque converter drain plug. Can anyone tell me if this model has one? If not what is the best way to do a good job getting more old fluid out?

Old 05-12-2013, 01:50 PM
shapleigh
Senior User
You have to drop the "dust shield" off of the bell housing (in front of tranny pan, to the rear of engine block) to get to the torque converter, try searching this forum for transmission flush procedures, or buy a service manual for your vehicle(Haynes or Chillton's, Haynes is better for most IMO), also your local library may have the manual. Based on the looks of the fluid in your pictures, IMO don't bring your truck to the people that "serviced" your trans before ever again.
Good Luck!!

Old 05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
With that debris in the pan and what you are describing its doing I would bet the overdrive band is burnt. Thats a lot on the magnet and the black soot in the bottom of the pan is from burning clutch or band material.

You will have to rebuild or replace this transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Tranny slipping.