1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

has anybody ever used Starbrite Startron fuel additive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Dtmaster2008
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anybody ever used Starbrite Startron fuel additive?

I was just at my somewhat local OReilys auto part store, and wen I was about to check out I saw a flyer for Starbrite Startron. Its a fuel additive and what made it stick out for me was that it said it gets rid of gum, carbon buildup and VARNISH(my worst enemy until now if it worked). I figured it was worth a try as I was just using tranny fluid to lubricate and clean the fuel system to avoid puling the carb apart at last resort, even though it is a 1bbl I dont have time for my truck to be down any. It did cost $8 for an 8oz bottle, and put it in before the tank was full, was sitting at 1/4 full. I currently drive a 1976 F100 Explorer Supercab with a 300i6 that was just brought back online about 2months ago, and the tank was basically empty the 6-8months it was sitting so there was some varnish sitting around I know for sure. It had been running rough, we had to advance the timing above the marker plate past 10degrees to keep it from shutting off when I drop it into gear, as well as adjusting the idle. Well not even a 20mi drive and it backfired one time leaving town and I was able to hit 70-75mph without even realising it(fortunately it was a four-lane so no worries bout seeing blue lights behind me). I can barely hear any missing sitting at idle and the throttle response is astounding, unlike before it took a couple punches on the pedal to clear up the hesitation for the most part. Anybody else have the same experience as I just had? Chip in, as I want to hear yalls opinion as well.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but in general it's best to avoid such products. They either don't work, or they do, but you run the risk of the varnish they just loosened winding up in parts of your fuel system you don't want (like the needle and seat). It only takes debris the size of a few grains of salt to flood out the carburetor for good.

If your carburetor is gummed up, the only legitimate way to fix it is to tear it down, thoroughly clean the non-replaceable parts, and rebuild with a new kit.

Varnish cannot build up if there is no fuel. When fuel dries up, it leaves a white powdery substance behind. The concern with a tank sitting empty is rust. Varnish comes from old, stale fuel sitting for long periods of time combined with deteriorating rubber parts in the fuel system.

Smooth idle comes from properly tuned combustion chemistry, good vacuum and good compression. There is no substitute for these items, especially something from a bottle.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dtmaster2008
I was just at my somewhat local OReilys auto part store, and wen I was about to check out I saw a flyer for Starbrite Startron.
I've used it, it not only increased my mpg's but it also bettered my life! I got a 50% pay increase and started dating a European super model.

In all seriousness, it's just snake oil, they peddled that stuff in the 1880's and they continue to do so today, why you ask, because people are gullible, don't be one of those people.

If you want a well tuned motor your money is better spent on a repair manual, timing light, vacuum gauge and tachometer, collectively about $100, they will pay for themselves in very short order.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Knubbler
New User
Most stuff is crap, it all claims to disperse water and get rid of varnish and build up. The only stuff I have ever had any luck with is Xp3, I have been using it for about 2 years and I love it. Went from 13.5 to 16 mpg on my 2003 F150, I am about to start using it in my 77 I just bought (yay!). I used it in my 99 Ducati which I never got around to winterizing. Thinking I would need to rebuild the carb this summer I tried to start it up anyways. caught on the second try. Looked at the carb anyways and it looks as clean as when I installed it. Buy Fuel Direct if you want to check it out. Great stuff

Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Ford428CJ
Elder User
I have used the stuff and it seams to work well. What I like about it.... It helps the fuel life. I use that in my snowmobiles too with great results. I cant complain about the stuff... JMHO

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

Old 05-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Knubbler
New User
Whatever you end up going with make sure to do a couple home tests. If the product claims to disperse water get a clear container (like a shot glass) and put a tablespoon of the product in it, then put a teaspoon or so of water in it, swirl it up a little bit and you will see weather or not it separates, if it does separate then the product just failed and probably wont do the other stuff it says it does.

Another one is taking a q tip and dip it in the product and then burn it, I have seen a lot of them burn black and leave the q tip dirty, so just think about what that is doing to the inside of your engine. Hope this helps