Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
New User

Bigdoon1522 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ford f250 5.4 gauges

i got my 03 f250 5.4 that im installing gauges on and i can get the amp gauge to work and cant figure out how to wire the oil psi censer any advice
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
What advice do you need or want?

Are these aftermarket gauges--what brand? Did the oil pressure gauge come with or have recommended a sensor? The typical OP stock sensor is nothing more than an on/off switch, doesn't read pressure per se.

When the proper sensor is in place wiring is simple from there, just follow manufacturers instructions.

BTW those are typically the first thing I disregard----don't need no stinkin' directions!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
New User

They are all sunpro gauges and Where its the factory psi senser on the truck i cant find it and i cant get the amp meter to get a reading if the alternator
Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Elder User

nogo73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recommend that you need to find a 12-volt ignition source and use the jumper wire to the Light Green/Red(not sure) wire. What that will do is it will energize the alternator when the ignition is turned on.
*******Alternator will not charge if you do not do this********.
by the way I am running autometer in mine. I could not get my alternator to charge at all before doing this I looked it up in the chiltons and florida 5.0 website.
Iowa chapter Board Member
Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
The oil pressure sending unit on your motor should be just forward of the oil filter, along the "rail" bolted to the block. It will be a single wire connection.

I can snap a photo if you need? Would take an hour or so from this post.

Lemme know!

J W
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
New User

If u could that would be great and do any of u know how to wire a air fuel ratio gauge and an amp gauge
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Post Fiend

You might want to contact your gauge manufacturer for install information.

Here's a photo of the oil sending unit's location---I have a Tee installed but its in the same place:

Click the image to open in full size.

HTH
Old 05-04-2013, 10:53 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
Most aftermarket amp gauges require you to run all of the current thru the gauge.
I always used a heavy gauge wire to and from the gauge. Remove all of the wiring (except for the main battery cable) from the battery side of the starter solenoid and connect them to one side of the gauge. Then hook the other side of the gauge to the starter solenoid terminal along with the battery cable. once hooked up, turn on the headlights and make sure that the gauge goes to the - side of the gauge. If not, reverse the wires on the back of the gauge.
That being said, that was on a 71 Torino that only had a 65amp alternator. Not a lot of amperage compared to modern vehicles. What amp does the gauge go to? If only +/- 60, then I wouldn't use it.
They may offer something a bit safer to wire up, I would email them to see.That's why when I put a set of gauges in my 88 Mustang, I opted for the set with a Volt gauge instead of an Amp gauge. Just wired it to a "key on" blank spot in the fuse panel.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Post Fiend

I also wanted a direct reading amp gauge, one that would exceed the 60 amp most common for autos/trucks. AutoMeter told it was their opinion (lawyers really) that said direct reading gauges in the 100+ amp range were unsafe since the high heat of enclosed mounting areas would cause problems.

While there are low amp draw gauge types that measure current far far exceeding what the standard automotive alternators produce they don't easily fit or mount into automotive installations. While the voltage gauges are basically "good enough" I'd still like to know what current is being produced but also know in this day and time anything of 60 amps just isn't available.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM