Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

This '98 NASCAR truck is my first 2x truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 AM
WatkinsGlen1956
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I also just bought a 98 Nascar F-150. Ours was purchased new at a dealer in Cincinnati and has remained in the area since. We are the third owners. It's an automatic.

According to my research so far, of the 3000 built, half were automatic and half were manual. I have read that 600 came with a hard tonneau cover in matching black. I have read one mention that 300 came from the factory with a trailer towing package and that all of those were used as support vehicles by Nascar for the 1998 season and were then distributed to dealerships and offered for sale with 300-500 miles already on them. I am trying to find any additional info about that. Ours has the tow package and a soft tonneau cover. Interestingly, inside the glove box ours has a decal stating that it had a new paint job in 1999. Maybe it was used by Nascar, then sat on a dealer lot for a while and the original purchasers required a new paint job to seal the deal?

Production began in May, 1998. Our truck was built in June. The last digits of the VIN begin with a 4. I know of another June truck that begins with a 3. And one other that begins with a 1 that was evidently a May truck. Someone should start a registry for these trucks.

From what I have seen so far across the internet, a lot of these trucks have been stripped of their stripes, modified in other ways, and in some cases downright trashed. Ours has a set of chrome American Racing wheels and a K&N cold air intake and that's all that's been done to it. It also still has its original floor mats that are in nice condition. The truck has 153k miles on it and looks and runs very good. We only paid $3600 for it. I did a minor cleaning of the interior yesterday. The seats don't even show any wear. I want to do a minor touch-up, wash, and wax, but this crazy weather has prevented that so far.

It seems like most of these trucks came with a sliding rear window. I have seen one with a solid rear window. I have seen one without cruise control.

I was talking with a guy who had one for sale on ebay. He ended up selling his to someone who just wanted it as a truck and didn't care at all that it was a Nascar edition. The interesting thing was that in his glove compartment was a 50th Anniversary F-series patch and decal with an instruction sheet showing that the decal was intended to be mounted on the rear window on the inside left bottom corner. He sent that stuff to me for $15. The sheet said that it was a mid-year addition made at the factory and that all 1998 F-series trucks that were built prior to including it on the assembly line should have it affixed by the owner. Our truck did not get that, so maybe the original owner either lost it or never received it in the first place for whatever reason. Really cool to have it now and that is a super-nice guy for doing that for us. Our owner's manual packet still has all of the original booklets and there is a special Nascar edition 4-page folding mini booklet included. Both the 50th Anniversary Nascar and 50th Anniversary F-series logos are shown on the cover.

I am debating whether or not to get a set of original wheels for the truck at some point....not to mount on it, because I'm not all that fond of them, but just to keep with it for the originality. I think the American Racing wheels actually look much better.

I have seen a lot of debates about the 1998-1999 special edition trucks. For the record, the factory did make 1998 50th Anniversary F-series trucks. They had their own badging and stripes. The factory did make 1999 Nascar edition trucks....it was a $150 retail package that carried order code 62N and had a lot less content than the 1998 model. There was also a factory 1999 Mark Martin edition F-150 of which about 100 were built, although the original plan had been to build 500.

Let's keep the info coming about the special editions and preserve as many as we can.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 AM
brcrk
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatkinsGlen1956
My wife and I also just bought a 98 Nascar F-150. Ours was purchased new at a dealer in Cincinnati and has remained in the area since. We are the third owners. It's an automatic.

According to my research so far, of the 3000 built, half were automatic and half were manual. I have read that 600 came with a hard tonneau cover in matching black. I have read one mention that 300 came from the factory with a trailer towing package and that all of those were used as support vehicles by Nascar for the 1998 season and were then distributed to dealerships and offered for sale with 300-500 miles already on them. I am trying to find any additional info about that. Ours has the tow package and a soft tonneau cover. Interestingly, inside the glove box ours has a decal stating that it had a new paint job in 1999. Maybe it was used by Nascar, then sat on a dealer lot for a while and the original purchasers required a new paint job to seal the deal?

Production began in May, 1998. Our truck was built in June. The last digits of the VIN begin with a 4. I know of another June truck that begins with a 3. And one other that begins with a 1 that was evidently a May truck. Someone should start a registry for these trucks.

From what I have seen so far across the internet, a lot of these trucks have been stripped of their stripes, modified in other ways, and in some cases downright trashed. Ours has a set of chrome American Racing wheels and a K&N cold air intake and that's all that's been done to it. It also still has its original floor mats that are in nice condition. The truck has 153k miles on it and looks and runs very good. We only paid $3600 for it. I did a minor cleaning of the interior yesterday. The seats don't even show any wear. I want to do a minor touch-up, wash, and wax, but this crazy weather has prevented that so far.

It seems like most of these trucks came with a sliding rear window. I have seen one with a solid rear window. I have seen one without cruise control.

I was talking with a guy who had one for sale on ebay. He ended up selling his to someone who just wanted it as a truck and didn't care at all that it was a Nascar edition. The interesting thing was that in his glove compartment was a 50th Anniversary F-series patch and decal with an instruction sheet showing that the decal was intended to be mounted on the rear window on the inside left bottom corner. He sent that stuff to me for $15. The sheet said that it was a mid-year addition made at the factory and that all 1998 F-series trucks that were built prior to including it on the assembly line should have it affixed by the owner. Our truck did not get that, so maybe the original owner either lost it or never received it in the first place for whatever reason. Really cool to have it now and that is a super-nice guy for doing that for us. Our owner's manual packet still has all of the original booklets and there is a special Nascar edition 4-page folding mini booklet included. Both the 50th Anniversary Nascar and 50th Anniversary F-series logos are shown on the cover.

I am debating whether or not to get a set of original wheels for the truck at some point....not to mount on it, because I'm not all that fond of them, but just to keep with it for the originality. I think the American Racing wheels actually look much better.

I have seen a lot of debates about the 1998-1999 special edition trucks. For the record, the factory did make 1998 50th Anniversary F-series trucks. They had their own badging and stripes. The factory did make 1999 Nascar edition trucks....it was a $150 retail package that carried order code 62N and had a lot less content than the 1998 model. There was also a factory 1999 Mark Martin edition F-150 of which about 100 were built, although the original plan had been to build 500.

Let's keep the info coming about the special editions and preserve as many as we can.
Great post!! Mine is all original; auto, sliding rear, perfect seats & wheels. The bed decals are gone, the previous owner removed them.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:24 AM
WatkinsGlen1956
New User
The more I read, the more there seems to be confusion out there as to whether the 600 that received a tonneau cover got a hard one or soft. It's looking like it may actually have been a soft one like ours has. It can be rolled/folded right up and there are connectors to lock it in place up at the cab that are like the ones that modern style dog collars have.

Anyhow, in the middle of the research that I have been doing I found a source for reproduced stripes at this link:

Ford F Series

If you scroll down the page you will see the listing for the 98 Nascar. There is a pull-down that lists the various options available....whether you need just one side or the full package, etc. With the full package being $500, that is a lot less than partial originals were selling for a decade ago and also a lot less than it would cost to have the graphics custom painted on.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM
brcrk
Senior User
The more I read, the more there seems to be confusion out there as to whether the 600 that received a tonneau cover got a hard one or soft. It's looking like it may actually have been a soft one like ours has. It can be rolled/folded right up and there are connectors to lock it in place up at the cab that are like the ones that modern style dog collars have.

Anyhow, in the middle of the research that I have been doing I found a source for reproduced stripes at this link:

Ford F Series

If you scroll down the page you will see the listing for the 98 Nascar. There is a pull-down that lists the various options available....whether you need just one side or the full package, etc. With the full package being $500, that is a lot less than partial originals were selling for a decade ago and also a lot less than it would cost to have the graphics custom painted on.
I dont know either...I forgot to put in my post that the tonneau cover on mine is also gone but I think some were supposed to come with one. I think

Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM
WatkinsGlen1956
New User
Originally Posted by brcrk
I dont know either...I forgot to put in my post that the tonneau cover on mine is also gone but I think some were supposed to come with one. I think
I know that 600 came with one from the factory, but I'm not certain what type yet. I may write to Ford, give them my VIN, and see if I can find out if mine came with one because I don't have the original window sticker.

Speaking of the VIN, I would like to start a registry. So far, I have complete ones for 18 of the trucks just from finding numbers in old ads on the internet and such.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 PM
WatkinsGlen1956
New User
Okay, I was finally able to find the correct answer to the tonneau cover situation. The little supplemental Nascar Edition-specific booklet in my owner's manual packet tells about it, its operation, etc. I hadn't had time to read through that until today. Now I know for certain that our truck was one of the 600 because it still has its tonneau cover and the operation is exactly as detailed in the booklet. There are two latches that release on the underside and then it rolls up to the cab and is secured by two straps with connectors.

In the back left corner of the tonneau cover, an original should carry the name ACCESS embossed into the surface.

Now we know.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM
brcrk
Senior User
Okay, I was finally able to find the correct answer to the tonneau cover situation. The little supplemental Nascar Edition-specific booklet in my owner's manual packet tells about it, its operation, etc. I hadn't had time to read through that until today. Now I know for certain that our truck was one of the 600 because it still has its tonneau cover and the operation is exactly as detailed in the booklet. There are two latches that release on the underside and then it rolls up to the cab and is secured by two straps with connectors.

In the back left corner of the tonneau cover, an original should carry the name ACCESS embossed into the surface.

Now we know.
Thanks for that research

Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM
ayden8
New User
NICE truck

Old 09-01-2013, 01:10 PM
brcrk
Senior User
Thumbs up