Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super duty mirrors on 92-96 body style?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM
TractorMaster96
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super duty mirrors on 92-96 body style?

Kinda want to rig some of the telescoping super duty towing mirrors into the channel for the vent windows, but im not sure if it would work, I've seen it done with dodge tow mirrors but i hate those ugly things, anybody ever seen or rigged super duty mirrors on one?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
OldGrayFord
Senior User
Try a search of this forum. I saw one awhile back where a guy built a piece in place of the wing window to mount super duty mirrors. It may be a good option if you want those mirrors

Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
00Boss
Elder User
Post pics if you ever figure it out. Itd be interesting to see what you come up with.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I bet it would look terrible, even if its useful. I'd just get the stainless swing away style that was factory. It was more common on 80-91 trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...m-mirrors.html

Name:  brandon006.jpg
Views: 54024
Size:  87.2 KB

Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
I bet it would look terrible, even if its useful.
it does.sadly many have done this (google image search: super duty mirrors on obs.) the reason it looks so out of place is because it's a modern mirror set on a classic body style truck (pre-99) and it just doesn't work (despite what the owner thinks lol.)

Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you search and find a posting with pictures, check out the HUGE blind spot the swap presents you with.. You could loose a good size car behind the bracket!!! As a test, put a piece of dark paper over the entire vent window on both sides, and look at how much view disappears..

Some may not care to loose that much view, but I do,, I want to see who the hell I'm fixin' to run over!!!

Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I just saw the pictures. That is just hideous looking, not to even mention the blind spot it creates. Two thumbs down for this modification. I wouldn't screw up my door for this.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
FUGLY
That is about all I can say about SD mirrors on an OBS

Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM
TractorMaster96
Freshman User
Yep, looked at some, and you guys are right. FUGLY. Might look good on a 4 dr long bed and helpful for a dually, but i don't like the blind spot they create either. Here in Michigan frost does that on the vent windows and i scrape them in the morning too!

Old 05-18-2016, 06:02 PM
pacific101
New User
I did read this thread prior to deciding on the solution I've outlined, I went this route because it does allow me to retain functioning wing windows, and the finished mirrors installed appearance cosmetically looks great on the older Ford trucks. I ran into this same issue recently. I sold my 03 F350 SD diesel truck and kept my 97 F250 Diesel truck and wanted to add some of the features from the 03 to my 97, the mirror situation being one of a few. I've never been a fan of the "ape hanger mirrors" that Ford put on their older trucks, where I live they are a rust magnet and are always coming loose, make way for rust buildup in my doors and I wanted an alternative. I got online and ordered a set of telescoping mirrors and was ready to install them when I realized that there was no way it was going to happen because of the wing windows. I felt more than a little stupid for not putting that together before ordering, but that's how I roll lol. Anyways I'm also not easily defeated so I broke out the laptop and google search and went to work on finding a solution. I located a guy on fleabay that sells custom cut metal plates that weld in to the corners of the wing windows, and that allow for installation of the newer style telescoping mirrors. I did have to send my Ford mirrors back because his plates are cut to fit the older style Fords but are adapted to the GMC mirrors which are identical with the exception of the bolt pattern and that they don't have so much access on the backside to contend with when installing them. He provided me with a video that step by step shows how to install them, when done, cosmetically they look great and work perfectly and best of all the wing window goes back in and still opens and closes, if you like to use them, I don't but it looks nice that way. I talked with our local auto body guy this morning, he figured about two hours labor, maybe three but he's always good to me on charges anyways, to put them in and paint everything up so it flushes with my truck and keeps it looking nice. I'm not bragging, too much anyways, lol, but my truck is a head turner, I get compliments on it all the time, my wife calls it my mistress and she isn't wrong. I really love it, I've driven Ford trucks all my life and this is the 3rd blue an white I've owned and I'm thinking will be my last, with no intentions of ever parting company with it. I hope this helps someone else. feel free to message for more specific details. I just want to be careful not to promote businesses in a forum, some really frown on that and I want to get off to a good start around here. There are photos of other trucks that have gone this route, but I'll wait until my truck is out of the shop and post them for folks to look at and decide for themselves if they like the look or not. I picked my truck up from the body shop this morning,, it took them 3 hours to do the job, he said that the next time it wouldn't take as long after doing it once. I am as pleased as I can be with the outcome. I had them insert black plastic plugs in the holes where the old ape hanger metal mirrors were mounted, I'm going to be adding stripes down the sides soon that will cover all of that up. The black in the white body will be painted white to match and not be an eye sore. I am posting a few photos for everyone to look at. I was happy to see that I still have good visibility in my wing windows, they both open and close plenty enough to provide air flow if I want and I personally am really happy with the way they look on my truck. Last but not least I have a great set of towing mirrors that provide a great view of the traffic along side of me and pull out plenty far enough to accommodate anything I might tow behind me. Comments, opinions and questions are welcome. I realize they might not be fore everyone, but for those who are looking for an alternative to the ape hangers I think I did good.

taken from drivers side of the passenger window inside the truck.

a picture of the drivers side mirror from outside the truck facing the mirror side. .

a picture of the drivers side mirror standing in front of it looking at the backside of the mirror.

a picture of the passenger side of the backside of the mirror, I think it shows the wing window appearance better than the one of the drivers side. there is a lot of the wing window still apparent.

a distance picture so that you can see the overall appearance of the truck with the mirrors installed. I'm not knocking other methods, but this is the one I like best from what I've looked at.

Last edited by pacific101; 05-27-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added wing windows openend
Old 05-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Sdowdle541
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This truck was built by diesel sellers and they are new gm mirrors. They said it still retains the wing window function I think!

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-10-2016, 11:41 AM
moose300d
New User
I like the look of the mirrors on this truck built by Diesel Sellerz. Does anyone know what the GM part number is for the complete mirror assembly with the turn signals? I have a 1997 Ford OBS with the large tow mirrors and would absolutely love to get rid of them. The blind spots are horrendous.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by moose300d
I like the look of the mirrors on this truck built by Diesel Sellerz. Does anyone know what the GM part number is for the complete mirror assembly with the turn signals? I have a 1997 Ford OBS with the large tow mirrors and would absolutely love to get rid of them. The blind spots are horrendous.
If you think OEM mirrors create a blind spot just look at the other pics when you block 1/2 the wing window

Old 10-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Cory Krahn
New User
Pacific101 mirrors

Hey I really like the work you did on those mirrior. It looks awsome could I get details on were you got the metal plates and what year Chevy mirrors those our please!! Thanks

Old 10-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Cory Krahn
New User
Mirrors

Originally Posted by pacific101
I did read this thread prior to deciding on the solution I've outlined, I went this route because it does allow me to retain functioning wing windows, and the finished mirrors installed appearance cosmetically looks great on the older Ford trucks. I ran into this same issue recently. I sold my 03 F350 SD diesel truck and kept my 97 F250 Diesel truck and wanted to add some of the features from the 03 to my 97, the mirror situation being one of a few. I've never been a fan of the "ape hanger mirrors" that Ford put on their older trucks, where I live they are a rust magnet and are always coming loose, make way for rust buildup in my doors and I wanted an alternative. I got online and ordered a set of telescoping mirrors and was ready to install them when I realized that there was no way it was going to happen because of the wing windows. I felt more than a little stupid for not putting that together before ordering, but that's how I roll lol. Anyways I'm also not easily defeated so I broke out the laptop and google search and went to work on finding a solution. I located a guy on fleabay that sells custom cut metal plates that weld in to the corners of the wing windows, and that allow for installation of the newer style telescoping mirrors. I did have to send my Ford mirrors back because his plates are cut to fit the older style Fords but are adapted to the GMC mirrors which are identical with the exception of the bolt pattern and that they don't have so much access on the backside to contend with when installing them. He provided me with a video that step by step shows how to install them, when done, cosmetically they look great and work perfectly and best of all the wing window goes back in and still opens and closes, if you like to use them, I don't but it looks nice that way. I talked with our local auto body guy this morning, he figured about two hours labor, maybe three but he's always good to me on charges anyways, to put them in and paint everything up so it flushes with my truck and keeps it looking nice. I'm not bragging, too much anyways, lol, but my truck is a head turner, I get compliments on it all the time, my wife calls it my mistress and she isn't wrong. I really love it, I've driven Ford trucks all my life and this is the 3rd blue an white I've owned and I'm thinking will be my last, with no intentions of ever parting company with it. I hope this helps someone else. feel free to message for more specific details. I just want to be careful not to promote businesses in a forum, some really frown on that and I want to get off to a good start around here. There are photos of other trucks that have gone this route, but I'll wait until my truck is out of the shop and post them for folks to look at and decide for themselves if they like the look or not. I picked my truck up from the body shop this morning,, it took them 3 hours to do the job, he said that the next time it wouldn't take as long after doing it once. I am as pleased as I can be with the outcome. I had them insert black plastic plugs in the holes where the old ape hanger metal mirrors were mounted, I'm going to be adding stripes down the sides soon that will cover all of that up. The black in the white body will be painted white to match and not be an eye sore. I am posting a few photos for everyone to look at. I was happy to see that I still have good visibility in my wing windows, they both open and close plenty enough to provide air flow if I want and I personally am really happy with the way they look on my truck. Last but not least I have a great set of towing mirrors that provide a great view of the traffic along side of me and pull out plenty far enough to accommodate anything I might tow behind me. Comments, opinions and questions are welcome. I realize they might not be fore everyone, but for those who are looking for an alternative to the ape hangers I think I did good.

taken from drivers side of the passenger window inside the truck.

a picture of the drivers side mirror from outside the truck facing the mirror side. .

a picture of the drivers side mirror standing in front of it looking at the backside of the mirror.

a picture of the passenger side of the backside of the mirror, I think it shows the wing window appearance better than the one of the drivers side. there is a lot of the wing window still apparent.

a distance picture so that you can see the overall appearance of the truck with the mirrors installed. I'm not knocking other methods, but this is the one I like best from what I've looked at.
Hey I love these mirrors could I get details on were you ordered these plates to weld in and what year those Chevy mirrors are please.
thanks

Quick Reply: Super duty mirrors on 92-96 body style?