Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Senior User

fg250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Firestone Air Bags

just got my air bags in today and I'll have to wait to install them because I'm working 7-12's for the next couple of weeks. anyone got them...like, dislike? how's the install?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Freshman User

La Gasser is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a set on my 2006 F250 SD CC 6.0 PSD and pulled a 13k lb gooseneck with a pin weight of 4k lbs with no problem with the Firestone Airbags - I now have a 2013 F350 SD DRW CC 6.2 Gas with the Firestone Airbags - only 1 tow with above trailer and they worked great. Good luck with the installation, shop did mine but appears to be pretty easy - hardest part is the onboard compressor if you got one, I don't have one - too much money for the occasional hauling I do. Keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Post Fiend

96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of
I installed mine. I think it could be quite an enjoyable install if you aren't sitting in ice cold water and slush dripping unto your neck and eyes from the winter. I didn't get the compressor and on board gages, but thinking about doing that this summer.

I put a sled deck on the truck for the winter and usually do 2-3 trips to the mountains totaling near 10000kms. There is about 2k lbs in/on the bed by the time we're all loaded with sleds, gear, fuel etc. Air bags make the truck handle like a champ!!

2014 F350/6.7/4x4/CC/SWB/Lariat
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Senior User

good to hear that you guys like them! I didn't get a compressor or gauges, instead I bought a portable air tank, so if I get to where I'm going and drop the camper, then want to pump them back up when I leave, I've got air.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Junior User

F16Vip3r is starting off with a positive reputation.
2011 6.2L F-250 Short Bed Fx4.

I also did not get the compressor. Install was fairly easy once I figured what I was doing. Biggest pain was a junction box mounted on the driver's side where the Air Bag mounts. I removed this to make the install easier, then re-installed afterwards. I also at one point had the wrong bolt... Took 1 from the bump-stop and accidentally tried using it. Got it 1/2-way in (x-threaded), and then had issues when it wouldn't tighten or loosen. Took me an hour to figure that one out (stupid rookie mistake).

Passenger side was much easier and went like a charm after I ironed all the kinks out of the driver's side. The whole process took about 5 hours out in the cold of my garage without any jacks, but I could probably knock that down to 3 or less after the lessons I learned the first time. Also, warmer weather and a jack (or at least a creeper) would probably make it go quicker.

I'd like to know if anyone has had their vehicle raised by the frame after having them mounted? The manual for the Air Bags is rather ambiguous: "Don't do it, but if you have to, relieve all air pressure to prevent damage." So, DO they get damaged? Does the axle drop far enough to stretch/tear the bags? I've seen forums with people saying it will damage them, and others saying it won't.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Senior User

well, I finally got them installed, took about 4 hours. I haven't put a trailer on them yet, because I'm waiting for my new camper to be built. I drove the truck with 10psi in the bags and the ride seems to be smoother....which I didn't expect but totally love! looking forward to pulling the new camper with these on!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8