Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 AM
New User

FordNative is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Accelerated whine...

1999 Ford F-150 5.4 - FYI... I had issues with my truck pulling my camp trailer up into the mountains. The local Ford dealership said it was the alternator missing at the top-end. I replaced the alternator with one from Autozone, a few months later an annoying whining sound came from the engine compartment. The whining got louder as I accelerate. I slipped it into neutral, accelerated and still heard whining. The forums said it was the pulleys, so I replaced them. Whining was still there. Having so much fun under he hood I took the alternator back off, I couldn't even spin the pulley, bearings had gone bad. Took the alternator back to Autozone for a free replacement. New alternator and pulleys later, I have a strong quiet truck again.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Just a FWIW but so far I've replaced two 5.4 alternators, used the NAPA new part each time. Sure they cost well over $150 each but they've been flawless without a hiccup so far.

Glad your issue was solved so easily---those annoying noises can drive a person to absolute distraction!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)