1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post pics back of what you do!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
big-head
Senior User
Light

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
Post pics back of what you do!

At the moment I'm confused of what way to go. But I will when I pull the trigger

Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big-head
What about the "long range" package just like these. Are yours wide and fairly long or just wide ?
You can do a whole lot better than KC's. I would strongly recommend checking out PIAA's 520 ATP. They're going to be about as good as you can get while keeping anywhere near your budget.

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Basically the high-beam indicator lamp on the dashboard doubles as a trigger that kills the fog relay. You're interrupting that signal, so the fogs are never shut down. So it's harmless, you aren't messing with any programming issues. I've run my truck this way since it was almost new.
I wonder if/how that works with the new '11+ trucks. Does anyone know?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM
big-head
Senior User
Firekite

What type of light do these throw. Spot - flood or just what... Does that lens cover come off when using ??

Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
flavo
Senior User
What makes these worth twice the cost?

Originally Posted by Firekite
You can do a whole lot better than KC's. I would strongly recommend checking out PIAA's 520 ATP. They're going to be about as good as you can get while keeping anywhere near your budget.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Firekite
I wonder if/how that works with the new '11+ trucks. Does anyone know?
I doubt the theory has changed, we just need someone with a wiring diagram that covers the relay for the fog lights to post the wiring color/traces and someone to test it. It's a great basic mod that need to be carried forward.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
What type of light do these throw. Spot - flood or just what... Does that lens cover come off when using ??
Those aren't lens covers, just stone/brush guards; they don't stop the light. For states or countries that require them to be covered, it will NOT count.

For the pattern, check out PIAA | 520 ATP XTreme White Plus Halogen Lamp Kit #5296 -- lots of info on the PIAA site.

Originally Posted by flavo
What makes these worth twice the cost?
Design, construction, materials, pattern, depth, and they won't rust into a ****pile. The only thing that's changed for KC since the 70's/80's is that they're more cheaply made. KC is originally out of Arizona, PIAA is based in Oregon, so they're both American companies. It's just that one makes top notch products and the other can be found on the shelves in Walmart and Autozone. And at only $114 per 520 ATP Extreme, that's a great deal for a fantastic light. Also, this:

I doubt the theory has changed, we just need someone with a wiring diagram that covers the relay for the fog lights to post the wiring color/traces and someone to test it. It's a great basic mod that need to be carried forward.
Seconded!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
big-head
Senior User
[QUOTE=Firekite;13098939]Those aren't lens covers, just stone/brush guards; they don't stop the light. For states or countries that require them to be covered, it will NOT count.

For the pattern, check out PIAA | 520 ATP XTreme White Plus Halogen Lamp Kit #5296

Firekite ,,,

Great info thanks. From what I read the rotation of the lens allows the light to be mounted upright or upside down and CAN NOT be mounted at 90 degrees from a vertical support on my brush guard .. If not I'll have to fab something.

Can these lights be wired into my high beams. So I will not have to flip a dash switch when I want these on / off ?

I do not have the rocker switches on my F250 from the factory

I looked at the wiring diagram , what is the reason for the relay. Wire heat or something ????

Go to Jegs and search "PIAA 5216". And click on the light and then click on quick view. This light throws two patterns of beam light. Must not be the one your talking about. That is what had me asking the earlier type of beam question.

Thanks

Last edited by big-head; 04-25-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Here's the quick and dirty:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...info-here.html

Pull one wire from behind the fuse block, ground it to the body, and done.

And here's the reason and theory behind it:
S&S Diversified

Basically the high-beam indicator lamp on the dashboard doubles as a trigger that kills the fog relay. You're interrupting that signal, so the fogs are never shut down. So it's harmless, you aren't messing with any programming issues. I've run my truck this way since it was almost new.
Thanks Bryan...Rep's sent

Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
I also am a big fan of Piaa Lights

Can these lights be wired into my high beams. So I will not have to flip a dash switch when I want these on / off ?
You sure can, the Piaa's will come w/a wire harness & all u have to do is hook the Relay activation Wire (NOT Main Power Feed) into your High Beam Headlight Power Wire.....Done (lights will turn on/off w/your high beams)

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM
big-head
Senior User
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
I also am a big fan of Piaa Lights

You sure can, the Piaa's will come w/a wire harness & all u have to do is hook the Relay activation Wire (NOT Main Power Feed) into your High Beam Headlight Power Wire.....Done (lights will turn on/off w/your high beams)
Thanks King bRanch

Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
big-head
Senior User
Where would the best place be to tie into the high beam power. Also would it still be okay to cut and ground that wire we talked about earlier to make the factory fog lights stay on with the factory brights and now these two PIAA's

Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Where would the best place be to tie into the high beam power. Also would it still be okay to cut and ground that wire we talked about earlier to make the factory fog lights stay on with the factory brights and now these two PIAA's
Either @ Headlight Bulb (shrink wrap good) or in Cab behind Fuse Panel.
Iam sure u could do that but it would probably be unnecessary if your running the Piaa's.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
big-head
Senior User
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
Either @ Headlight Bulb (shrink wrap good) or in Cab behind Fuse Panel.
Iam sure u could do that but it would probably be unnecessary if your running the Piaa's.
What color wire is it behind the fuse panel. I rather tie in there. It's out of the elements from under the hood etc.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I bought some Hella 700ff lights and did an HID coonversion, they are going in in a few weeks. They cost me roughly $200 but thats two sets of lights and HID kits on 3000k and the other is 6000k. Once I wire up my upfitters im just going to hook them up to those. I'm installing them behind the grille i have an 05 billet grille.

Quick Reply: Driving lights