Sponsored by: DP Tuner

scanner cant communicate with truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Deeztha1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scanner cant communicate with truck

2000 7.3L taken to SMOG here in California and they say the truck wont communicate with his diagnostic scanner.

i have a Autel A519 Scanner and when i hook it up it tries to tell me the the PSD is a Gas engine with Spark. ???

is my PCM fried?

its not chipped, the only mod is the exhaust back pressure valve has been modified to be a Exhaust brake. other than that its all stock.

any info would be great since California SMOG is holding up my tags until i pass.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:13 PM
01PS
Elder User
The Autel AL519 says "CAN capability", not compatability. I would suspect your scanner can't talk to our trucks without shelling out more money. Not sure why the SMOG place wouldn't have a CAN scanner, but it is California after all. Anyone near you have AutoE?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
That is odd.

Are you saying his CARB machine won't connect? That thing should connect to anything.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 04-22-2013, 03:21 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Deeztha1
2000 7.3L taken to SMOG here in California and they say the truck wont communicate with his diagnostic scanner.

i have a Autel A519 Scanner and when i hook it up it tries to tell me the the PSD is a Gas engine with Spark. ???

is my PCM fried?

its not chipped, the only mod is the exhaust back pressure valve has been modified to be a Exhaust brake. other than that its all stock.

any info would be great since California SMOG is holding up my tags until i pass.

Check the cigarette lighter to see if it is working. If not the fuse is blown. The cigarette lighter an OBD II share the same fuse.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Deeztha1
New User
Originally Posted by 01PS
The Autel AL519 says "CAN capability", not compatability. I would suspect your scanner can't talk to our trucks without shelling out more money. Not sure why the SMOG place wouldn't have a CAN scanner, but it is California after all. Anyone near you have AutoE?
not that i know of.... im looking at purchasing AutoE since its seems to be the one i read about most. i have a 2003 with the 6.8L also so it sounds like a wise choice.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Deeztha1
New User
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
Check the cigarette lighter to see if it is working. If not the fuse is blown. The cigarette lighter an OBD II share the same fuse.

Diane
yeah this Autel scanner isnt really doing it for me.... ill check the fuses and look more into the AutoEginuity with ford bundle.
as far as the smog check goes. that guy... idk if he was high or just stuck on stupid. the first thing he did was plug into and said "no cant communicate with diagnostics. have to fix on board diagnostics then come back" and walked away.... with his scanner still attached to my truck. i should of kept it.

oh well

Old 04-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Deeztha1
yeah this Autel scanner isnt really doing it for me.... ill check the fuses and look more into the AutoEginuity with ford bundle.
as far as the smog check goes. that guy... idk if he was high or just stuck on stupid. the first thing he did was plug into and said "no cant communicate with diagnostics. have to fix on board diagnostics then come back" and walked away.... with his scanner still attached to my truck. i should of kept it.

oh well
Was it the big machine that they connect to the truck when they have to submit all the smog info to the state?

If your generic scanner can connect but not read anything pertinent to the truck, then the fuse may still be good. It is still a good thing to check though.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 01PS
Our Jurassic trucks are pre-CAN. They are non-OBDII compliant, but speak the OBDII language (like American English and England English)... so only a few scan tools can even understand the Ford 7.3L dialect. You could have a network error, a blown cigarette lighter fuse, or a screw loose behind the CARB keyboard.

When all else fails, reboot. Lifting the grounds on the batteries for a few seconds has been known to clear things up (but it's rare).

Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Deeztha1
New User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Our Jurassic trucks are pre-CAN. They are non-OBDII compliant, but speak the OBDII language (like American English and England English)... so only a few scan tools can even understand the Ford 7.3L dialect. You could have a network error, a blown cigarette lighter fuse, or a screw loose behind the CARB keyboard.

When all else fails, reboot. Lifting the grounds on the batteries for a few seconds has been known to clear things up (but it's rare).
this is exactly why this forum is the best!
when i purchased the Autel i asked if it would work for my 2000 PSD... the guy said "of corse, my dad has a PowerStroke and it works great for him.... no problems at all"

anyways lesson learned.

i checked the fuses, all were good. so i plugged this POS Autel back into it and wouldnt you know i got a code P0475 Exhaust back pressure valve.

i love mondays....now that this day is over ill check it out tomorrow.

thank you all for your help.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Maybe SMOG computer was having short-term memory problems due to 420 Fest.

Just a thought!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Deeztha1
New User
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford

Just a thought!

YEAH SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF "SLEEPY RED EYED" INDIVIDUALS IN SO. CAL. TODAY

Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford

Just a thought!
Good one!

To the OP... Glad you got it figured out.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com