6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Is this old news: Ford upgraded the OEM EGR cooler?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 407 Likes on 269 Posts
Is this old news: Ford upgraded the OEM EGR cooler?

I had pretty much narrowed down which tube-style EGR cooler to buy to replace my perfectly good unit proactively; and then I stumbled on this (it's got a date of 8/12:

http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/doc...2008-12_vF.pdf

It certainly looks different and stronger (see pg2) than the original square cooler. What are folks thoughts on the statements/claims Ford makes? Particularly on reintroducing too hot of exhaust gas back into the intake with one of the after market tube style coolers (BPDs, AFEs, BD-Ps and more...)?

I'm going to price one of the OEM ones just for the heck of it with Tousley, but I thought I'd get this out there for comment. Or point me to a thread if this has been hashed to death already?

Thanks....

Old 04-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
subscribing

I was going to do a sneaky delete, or BPD 2003 style if mine ever blows...but I prefer OEM whenever possible

Old 04-21-2013, 03:17 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
same old cooler so far as i know

Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
What's an EGR cooler?

Just kiddin, it did get brought up here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-cons-3.html

Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
It hasn't changed. The egr cooler was replaced on my truck in 2012. When I deleted it a few weeks ago it is still the same old design.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 407 Likes on 269 Posts
Thanks guys -- so even though this is new Marketing Propaganda, the redesign they are talking about is from the early ('03 round) style I guess...

I also stumbled on a couple of presentations: one from Ford engineers in '08 and the other from a consortium of Diesel manufacturers (Ford being one) that study the effects of the coking that clogs the coolers. If anybody is interested I'll go find them and post links.

Bottom line for me after reading those studies is it seems the bigger the tubes for the exhaust gas to pass through to be cooled, the better...

On Edit: I went and found those presentations, and about a thousand others... Sorry for wasting everyone's time

Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
It has been said on here that the changed from the round coolers to the square coolers to increase the cooling efficiency. The square coolers are alleged to cool the exhaust gases further than the round coolers.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Not a time waster Dan. That's how we learn- or me at least- repetition until it gets through my thick head.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Yep, just looks like marketing hype over the aftermarket coolers and patting themselves on the back for "improving" the old style round cooler, while putting down the aftermarket square coolers with the round style internal hardware.

IMHO Designing a Diesel + EGR = Brain Damage

If they could design a DPF pre-filter for the EGR system then go for it, but thinking it's a good idea to have the engine consume raw diesel exhaust soot is beyond dumb.

Might as well continue with a coal slurry fuel versus diesel. Just ask the ****'s how well that worked out.

Josh

Old 04-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a CEL for insufficient EGR flow because the tubes have stopped up with soot? Kind of an accidental EGR delete . I've never heard of that happening, so I guess the "improved cooling" was the motivation for the design change. Too bad the new part turned out to be so delicate.

I guess the choices are 1.) Reduced cooling efficiency while breaking the law 2.) No flow at all while breaking the law or 3.) Much higher failure rate as a law abiding citizen.

I really felt i was legal with the aftermarket cooler since it was so similar to the previous factory design and the system remained operational, come to find out I'm no more legal than a stealth delete AND my truck is running on a soot ladened intake charge. Hey, maybe in the future we'll all be doing some sort of EGR filter mod!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I really felt i was legal with the aftermarket cooler since it was so similar to the previous factory design and the system remained operational, come to find out I'm no more legal than a stealth delete AND my truck is running on a soot ladened intake charge. Hey, maybe in the future we'll all be doing some sort of EGR filter mod!

No Kidden!!!

I never thought of it like that

Guess it makes sense though the egr system has been modified so its out of Compliance

This is another valid point for those who are considering EGR Deleate or Upgraded cooler

Might as well Stealth Deleate Now its cheaper and the penalty ends up the same

On the other hand if oil cooler is OK the EGR Cooler should be Fine. It just Sucks the Tolerance is such a fine line.

And once a person Knows about and understands the system and cause for failure they would constantly worrey or I would anyway

Hey Eric if things Get NASTY atleast us 2003 guys can Legitimatly put a Decent Basicaly Bullet proof Round EGR Cooler back on and Be GOOD

Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Hey Eric if things Get NASTY atleast us 2003 guys can Legitimatly put a Decent Basicaly Bullet proof Round EGR Cooler back on and Be GOOD
Yes. And no STC, and no dummy plugs, stand pipes.....
I guess those things do make up a little for the HPOP.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Too bad international couldn't have kept the 7.3 style oil cooler or went with the external style of the 6.7.

Seems a lot of the issue is in trying to cram a large cooler into a compact shape inside the engine.

If I put more thought into it I bet the EGR cooler could be turned into an oil cooler.

Josh

Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
have seen a ferw so caked up that iat2 would not change with egr commanded open

Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a CEL for insufficient EGR flow because the tubes have stopped up with soot? Kind of an accidental EGR delete . I've never heard of that happening, so I guess the "improved cooling" was the motivation for the design change. Too bad the new part turned out to be so delicate.

I guess the choices are 1.) Reduced cooling efficiency while breaking the law 2.) No flow at all while breaking the law or 3.) Much higher failure rate as a law abiding citizen.

Why do you think the truck is not legal anymore?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this old news: Ford upgraded the OEM EGR cooler?