6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

UPDATED Fuel Injector Top O-Rings/Seals ~ The Whole Story

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:48 AM
creator
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATED Fuel Injector Top O-Rings/Seals ~ The Whole Story

UPDATE 6/21/15:
There Have Been a Huge Number of Sellers Pop up on ebay Selling Low Quality O-Rings and Cheap, Soft Steel Tools Which Fail During Install, or Within 10K Miles. Go with a good brand tool like HHC Diesel or Alliant Power or This could happen to you:

GOOD TOOL:

BAD TOOL:

Also, the Bostech/Cardone Nipple Cups are made of soft steel, are slightly small and wear prematurely. So I recommend re-using your OEM nipple cups or waiting for HHC Diesel's BulletProof Nipple Cups to Come out.

This is a Write-Up on the Top Fuel Injector Seals & The Nipple Cup O-Rings in the High Pressure Oil Rail
If you find a leak at one of your top injector seals you probably have a leaky nipple cup also... Don't learn the hard way like I did

~How to Diagnose and Replace~

Fact 1:
The top injector O-Rings can be easily replaced. You do not have to replace the whole injector as Ford would do.

Fact 2:
There are O-Rings behind the the Ball Tubes/Nipple Cups in the High Pressure Oil Rail. They are serviceable and easily replaced with the proper tool. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE OIL RAIL AS FORD WOULD FOR $500 a PIECE!

Fact 3:
A Leak that shows up in your top injector O-Ring is probably actually originating above at the nipple cup seal. The high pressure oil actually follows the body of the nipple cup and attacks the top of the top injector O-Ring. This can be easily diagnosed by inspecting your old top injector O-Ring, if the top looks eroded, but the bottom looks fine, you have a leak at the nipple cup.

Name:  OilManifoldINFO1.jpg
Views: 49599
Size:  120.2 KB
Name:  OilManifoldINFO2.jpg
Views: 38253
Size:  126.3 KB

Diagnosis and Repair

Parts Required:

1. Injector O-Ring kits that include the top injector seal and a new retaining "C-Clip"
    There are 2 major manufacturers that produce these;
  2. Nipple Cup / Ball Tube Removal Tool: Don't Buy the Cheap Ebay Ones!!! They Break and Strip
  3. Replacement Nipple Cup O-Rings: Many of these are now on the market, but not all are created equal. The cheap tools and O-Rings on ebay have left many people stranded and needing to re-do the job less than 10,000 miles later. YOU NEED A HEAVY DUTY O-RING!! Only 2 Companies I would recommend right now:
    ~HHC Diesel - F60L-BALLSEAL
    Amazon.com: HHC Diesel ~Ford 6.0L Diesel Nipple Cup/Ball Tube O-Rings/Seals~ Set of 8 Special Heavy Duty Viton Blend: Automotive Amazon.com: HHC Diesel ~Ford 6.0L Diesel Nipple Cup/Ball Tube O-Rings/Seals~ Set of 8 Special Heavy Duty Viton Blend: Automotive
    ~Alliant Power -
    Amazon.com: High-Pressure Oil Rail Seal Kit Alliant Part #AP0070: Automotive Amazon.com: High-Pressure Oil Rail Seal Kit Alliant Part #AP0070: Automotive
  4. New Nipple Cups. ONLY IF YOURS ARE WORN BEYOND REPAIR. Many People have had Bostech/Cardone Nipple Cups Fail Due to a Diameter Which is Slightly Smaller Than OEM and They are Soft Steel. I Recommend Re-Using Your OEM CUPS or Waiting for HHC Diesel's Bulletproof Nipple Cups. A little Grooving on the Nipple Tip is Normal and Not an Issue. It is Wear on the Top of the Ball (the part closest to the nipple end) that you have to watch out for. Even half a thousandth (.0005") is enough to cause premature nipple cup seal failure.

Step 1:
Determine that you actually have a high pressure oil leak. This has been covered quite a bit, but I do have a video on this below.

It should be noted that many people are driving around with small HPO leaks that don't keep them from starting or running. The only way to really find all of the leaks in your HPO system is to test with a higher pressure source such as a Nitrogen bottle instead of shop air. Your HPO system runs at 3500+ PSI under WOT, so 100PSI is nothing and will only show you major leaks. A Nitrogen bottle will get you to around 1000 PSI. Lucky for us shop air will find the leaks big enough to keep up from starting and running. Leaks at the nipple cup seal actually can't be heard with shop air, Believe me I went though this 3 separate times for failed Top injector seals and never heard a leak once I replaced the Top seals, only to have the same seals fail weeks later. This is why I'm writing this post, so that others can easily diagnose a bad nipple cup seal.

This is an old video I did, but It's pretty accurate.

Step 2:
Determine that your leak is at one of your top injectors. You will feel/hear air coming out around the top of the injector under the oil rail. I made a video of one of my leaks, but an air leak is hard to catch on video

Step 3:
Replace your top injector O-Ring or Seal. The best way to explain this is in a video. Once you get the hang of it, it is actually quite easy. I have done it with the injector still in the engine, but I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS It is much more difficult, frustrating and time consuming trying to get the retaining clip out lying on top of the engine. I think the rear injectors would be near impossible. You already have the o-ring kit, just pull the injector out.

Step 4:
Examine your O-ring. If it looks like it is eroded from the top(nipple cup side) Down, you need to replace your nipple cup seal also. The bottom will have a nice smooth, flat, undamaged surface where as the top looks sand blasted. You may even find little bits of rubber o-ring all around the retaining clip and metal beveled keeper ring.
Name:  20130420_122549.jpg
Views: 36980
Size:  35.0 KB
Name:  OilManifoldINFO6.jpg
Views: 32500
Size:  15.4 KB

Step 5:
Replace one or all of your Nipple Cup Seals. If one is bad, the others may be failing also. Give your nipples a wiggle, if they feel loose at all, replace them. You don't want to get stuck somewhere you can't fix it. You should feel a snugness and resistance as you wiggle the nipples. The ball of the cup seals against and o-ring, so if it doesn't feel like it's contacting rubber you probably have at least a small leak.MAKE SURE YOU USE A LOT OF OIL ON ALL OF THE PARTS WHEN YOU REASSEMBLE! Sometimes the rings don't fully seat until the oil rails have been pressurized for the first time.

The Best Way to Explain the Process is With a Video:

The Tool Used to Remove the Nipple Cup and Replace the Seal:
Name:  F60LBALLSKT%20FINAL.png
Views: 33737
Size:  929.5 KB

DO NOT BUY A CHEAP TOOL AND O-RINGS OFF EBAY. THEY WILL FAIL LIKE THIS:
Name:  20150621_113735.jpg
Views: 33306
Size:  309.4 KB

Bostech and Cardone Do Sell Replacement Nipple Cups, but They Are Soft Steel and Many are .0005" Smaller on the Ball End and Many are Reporting Leaks and Failures. HHC Diesel Will Have Their BulletProof Cups out This Summer

Name:  OilManifoldINFO5.jpg
Views: 32847
Size:  22.7 KB

Step 6:
Put it all back together. If you have never had your oil rails off before there are a couple things to note;
1: It takes quite a bit of cranking to purge the air out of the HPO system once re-assembled. I like to unplug the FICM relay and use the Ignition pigtail to the positive battery terminal if I didn't pull any injectors.
2: If you had one or more injectors out, you need to re-prime the fuel system and purge any air BEFORE the FICM tries to fire the injectors. In this case I use the key to prime both the HPO and Fuel System. I unplug the Glow plug relay connectors then just cycle the key on and off cranking for about 20 seconds a time. Cycling the key ON/OFF is the important part here! This Turns the Fuel Pump On and Off to purge the air By the time the Oil Rail has purged enough air out to develop the 600PSI needed to tell the FICM to fire the injectors, you will have turned the fuel pump on and off at least 5 times and enough to purge the air out of the fuel lines.

Sometimes the nipple cup seals do not fully seat until the oil rails have been primed and fully pressurized for the first time. Don't freak out if you air test the system right after install and still hear a leak. run the truck for a bit and the leaks will most likely go away. If not, your nipple cups are bad or you didn't so something right... Like using excessive oil on every part when installing the new seals.
Step 7:
If you just replaced all of your nipple cups & O-rings and All of your injector O-rings, have yourself a beer and rest assured that your HPO system is solid and won't develop leaks for a long time....

My Story (Why I had to do this):
I had a high pressure oil leak at one of my top injector O-Rings so I replaced it. When I replaced my head gaskets a few weeks later I decided to go ahead and replace the rest of them while I had all of the injectors out. I drive long hard miles for my work generally towing something, Within 10,000 miles the same O-ring that had failed before failed again (catastrophically; the beveled keeper ring had shattered into a few pieces and the O-Ring was in 2 pieces that I could find). I replaced it thinking it was a fluke or something. Then within 2 weeks of heavy driving I had 2 more develop leaks bad enough that I had a Hot no start situation. (Luckily I had shut it off in a Walmart parking lot and was able to go in and buy their mid sized air compressor and the biggest inverter they had to air test my HPO system right there in the parking lot). I had developed leaks at 2 more injectors on that same rail side. I fixed them right there in the parking lot(1500mi from home). I was pissed, naturally, and sent a long email to the company I ordered the O-rings from thinking they were inferior. They forwarded my email straight to Bostech and within 24hrs the general manager replied via email. His name is Brian and he is actually a very nice, very knowledgeable on the 6.0L engine. He sent me all kinds of information and pictures(some of which I have included above) and we even ended up talking on the phone for almost an hour about the nipple cup seals, and all of the other known problems on the 6.0L. I didn't even know there were O-Rings in the oil rail and based on the limited information I see on it in the forums not too many people do either, hence this write-up.

Here is what a catastrophically failed O-Ring looks like. The O-ring was in at least 2 pieces, the keeper ring was shattered into at least 2 pieces and the C-clip was all bent and deformed:

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 06-21-2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Updates: Request by original author. (Max)
Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 AM
creator
Senior User
I tried to keep this clean and concise for future reference. It actually took me a long time to put this together. I'm happy to edit the first post with any corrections or info to make this more clear for future readers, just let me know.
~Corey

Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
Great writeup Reps given

We need this one in the Tech Folder I havent seen anything like it in there

That Took alot of work to do this writeup Alone I know its very time consuming to get that anmount of info on here

The Only thing I would add and maybe I missed it But you can run with valve covers offf to check for leaks too However its alot of work to hook all stuff back up to get to a runable condition and Tie stuff like the Ficm and GPCM Back out the way

But Great Job!!!

Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Thank you Creator for showing , reps sent , high mileage trucks and or pulling should be aware of this problem. what would be some other,running Issuies to point to this?I went thru all vids very Interesting

Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 AM
creator
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Great writeup Reps given

We need this one in the Tech Folder I havent seen anything like it in there

That Took alot of work to do this writeup Alone I know its very time consuming to get that anmount of info on here

The Only thing I would add and maybe I missed it But you can run with valve covers offf to check for leaks too However its alot of work to hook all stuff back up to get to a runable condition and Tie stuff like the Ficm and GPCM Back out the way

But Great Job!!!
Thanks!
I actually have a newer video I did with the valve covers off, but it was done after the leaks were fixed so there is no dramatic leak effect. If there is enough interest I'll add it in there.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
For pressure source please stick with Nitrogen or Argon gas not Oxygen.
Oxygen does not do well at any pressure with oil.

Oil and grease are particularly hazardous in the presence of oxygen
as they can ignite spontaneously and burn with explosive violence

They should never be used to lubricate oxygen or enriched-air equipment.
Special lubricants which are compatible with oxygen must be used under
certain conditions

Other that that I think this is a very good write-up. I just don't want to have to send Emails
to the moon is things go bad.

Sean

Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 AM
creator
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
For pressure source please stick with Nitrogen or Argon gas not Oxygen.
Oxygen does not do well at any pressure with oil.

Oil and grease are particularly hazardous in the presence of oxygen
as they can ignite spontaneously and burn with explosive violence

They should never be used to lubricate oxygen or enriched-air equipment.
Special lubricants which are compatible with oxygen must be used under
certain conditions

Other that that I think this is a very good write-up. I just don't want to have to send Emails
to the moon is things go bad.

Sean
Thanks for catching that Sean!
I edited the first post to exclude testing the HPO system with O2.
That's the great thing about forums. More minds are better than 1 (or none o_O)

Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I have hears to some very scary storied about O2 and oils. I think one
of the worst is a LOX leak and having a vehicle tire run over it on
pavement that has some grease. If you lucky you get a POP if not you may
see flying tire. Or so the story goes. I just know what they teach in the section
on handling compressed gasses. Also with a high pressure tank you can have a
regulator fail and get more than you bargained for. I know of one dead and one badly
injured flight-line mechanics that found that out on a nose gear. 9,000 PSI from
the bottle blew the tire into little parts and shredded the wheel.

The lesson is always check the regulators and start at low pressure. ALWAYS!

Sean

Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write-up, really professionally done. Completely explains the issue and the solution.

Brian

Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,383 Likes on 2,082 Posts
I added this to the Tech Folder, very nice

Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM
retiredinstructor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx creator very well done reps given

Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Great job. Reps sent. Thank you for taking the time to put that all together and share what you learned.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
creator
Senior User
Thanks Everyone!
Just trying to give back.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Reps sent from me as well. Very well written!!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, nice job. Thanks for sharing that . This is the first I have herd of this, good to know.

Quick Reply: UPDATED Fuel Injector Top O-Rings/Seals ~ The Whole Story