6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ordering the correct HPOP?

Old 02-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering the correct HPOP?

OK, getting ready to tear down the top of Monster's 6.0l again and would like to make sure that I purchase the correct parts.

My plan is to replace the HPOP, convert to a 2005 intake manifold, add a CCV mod, "redo" the custom air filter (this is not a debatable item), and other "stuff" I might see needing fixed/updated/modded as I am working on her.

Here's my dilemma...while I know the majority of the items I need to purchase, I'm not so sure on the HPOP. I'd like to have the HPOP already in hand before I tear down the engine. However, I've found there's about a 1000 different posts about how to tell if you need to purchase a "3C3Z-9A543-AARM" vs the "4C3Z-9A543-AARM".

My original FICM is long gone and the sticker on the driver's side valve cover only lists the HP and Torque ratings...no year code. The ICP is on the HPOP behind the turbo so I'm assuming that the engine is an early 2003...is there anyway for me to confirm this?

Old 02-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
3c3z is ICP on pump

4c3z is ICP Passenger valve cover

Josh

Old 02-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
3c3z is ICP on pump

4c3z is ICP Passenger valve cover

Josh
Finally a simple answer...I'm sure this answer is located somewhere within FTE, but I couldn't find it!

THANKS A TON!

Now for a second question...anyone have comments about retrofitting my engine with the 4c3z ICP on the Passenger's side cover? What's needed and how long will it take?

Old 02-13-2016, 03:51 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Splash67
Finally a simple answer...I'm sure this answer is located somewhere within FTE, but I couldn't find it!

THANKS A TON!

Now for a second question...anyone have comments about retrofitting my engine with the 4c3z ICP on the Passenger's side cover? What's needed and how long will it take?
If you are relocating the ICP you will need wavy oil rails for starters.
Valve covers.......rocker boxes.....HPOP(?)...stand pipe.......what else, access to the backing plate? I think it's quite a project but have read of a few guys that have done it

Old 02-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
Here is a post I've referred to often. On this exact subject:

6.0 Model Year differences

07-15-2012, 11:42 AM

m-chan68

Okay, it seems that everyone is a little confused with regards to what HPOP is used with which model year engine, so I will do my best to clear things up. First, let's start of with the 2003 engine. This will be the model year engine that uses the early aluminum swash plate style HPOP, the earlier of the two IPR valves available for this engine (3C3Z-9C968-AA/CM-5054). The part number from Ford for the HPOP for this engine is 3C3Z-9A543-AARM.

Now onto the LATE-2004 engines. This is the model year that many changes were made, including the piston dome size (rendering glow plugs non-interchangeable between early and late engines), the switch to the wavy rails and the location of the ICP sensor that all of you are well aware of. However, this particular model year of engine still retained the use of the swash plate style HPOP with a different part number 4C3Z-9A543-AARM. If you were to place this pump side by side with an '03 model year engine pump, they would appear identical. And to be honest with you, I couldn't tell what the internal differences between the two pumps are, other than the information found on page #29 of this document:

DTS Articles - Coffee Table Books

The reason being, at the dealership level, we simply replace the pumps when there are issues with them. We don't disassemble them. And, if it matters, this particular model year engine uses the earlier IPR valve (3C3Z-9C968-AA/CM-5054), but uses the later model year injectors.

Now onto the 2005 and up engines. This is the style that originally used the dreaded STC fitting that everyone likes to change up to the one-piece updated branch tube connector (that were installed on 2008 and newer E-Series application engines from new). Not sure what else to say about this version of pump, other than the fact that it is a V-4 cast iron pump that has been far less problematic overall than the '03/'04 style pumps. And lastly, the part number for this pump is 5C3Z-9A543-C, and uses the later model year IPR valve (5C3Z-9C968-CA/CM-5126).

The only other thing I can think of that's worthy of mention is for '03/'04 owners thinking of switching to the '05 and newer style pumps, don't even think about it. For an '03 the later branch tube will not work with the '03 thread in style standpipes. And for you late '04 owners, changing out a branch tube is far more work than it's worth, just to put in a '05 style pump.

HOPEFULLY this clears things up.

Here's a link to the thread, more good info:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...firmation.html

Old 02-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
What can I say....."The master has spoken"

Old 02-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
So what you're saying is that an aftermarket upgraded 3c3z pump is probably the best route to go?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the Adrenalin pump, little extra $$, but has a higher output for better fuel mileage..... they claim.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:59 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have a video tonight of a truck we updated (actually are updating now,, the cab is still up). 03's just take more parts but can be done. I personally like the way the late model pumps fire up. Most 03's kinda roll to a start,, 04's tend to fire better,, but 05 n up,,, fire right up. Jmho.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:22 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I've run both pumps on my 04 engine and can't tell a bit of difference in fitment or performance. I know in the aftermarket pumps there is no difference listed. Call Dieselsite and ask them. You'll be fine either way.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:17 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the video I shot tonight

I should've shot it after doing the ccv. I sacrificed one of my stock exhaust to use the stock downpipe and the flange just before the cat,, then used his 4" exhaust past the downpipe. aftermarket exhaust really only fits well when installed cab off. Those stupid clamps always hit the pinch weld or the Trans tube,, and very few actually have the bend right on the downpipe. This trucks exhaust and ccv are beautiful now.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by run6.0run
Here is the video I shot tonight

Caleb's final video. - YouTube

I should've shot it after doing the ccv.
Hey Anthony, The weather around here has warmed up enough that I'm starting in on my HPOP project and was wondering if you ever get a chance to post pictures or videos of the CCV Re-route? I'd like to get it done at the same time as the HPOP.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on which HPOP to put in? I simply do not have the budget for the Dieselsite Adrenaline.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:02 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That leaves you with a Ford reman and after reading everything about them, keep your fingers crossed you get a good one the first time!

In case you haven't read yet, most have to try 2 or 3 different pumps until they get a good one and then fight Ford over it. Seriously, save yourself the headache and do it once.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WatsonR
That leaves you with a Ford reman and after reading everything about them, keep your fingers crossed you get a good one the first time!

In case you haven't read yet, most have to try 2 or 3 different pumps until they get a good one and then fight Ford over it. Seriously, save yourself the headache and do it once.
Were you talking about one of these Terminator Engineering High Pressure Oil Pump T500 for 03-04 6.0L PowerStroke units? I know nothing about them, but for less than half of the cost of the Dieselsite unit, I'm curious about peoples opinion of them.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Splash67
Were you talking about one of these Terminator Engineering High Pressure Oil Pump T500 for 03-04 6.0L PowerStroke units? I know nothing about them, but for less than half of the cost of the Dieselsite unit, I'm curious about peoples opinion of them.
Looks like a Ford core to me with a few "key" updates, whatever those are.

Hint............there is a reason that pump is even less than a reman Ford, and half of the good one. If I do another early build HPOP it will be the best one there is, the Adrenaline.
I'm not saying this is a bad choice but when the website tells me I should have no problem getting 3000 psi, they are setting the bar a little low with a system that is capable of 4000+

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering the correct HPOP?