5.4 out of a navigator

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:54 PM
ecidemon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 out of a navigator

I might have an opportunity to get the engine and trans out of a 01 Lincoln Navigator for a future project.

My question is, was the 5.4 in the navigator any different than the other 5.4's around? It's been wrecked in the front so I'd practically have to cut it out, so if it's nothing special I'll let it get crushed.

My other current option is a 97 truck with the 5.4.

Also, on an unrelated note, can the transverse 4.6L "InTech" in a Lincoln Continental be made to fit RWD?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Navi engine back then was a DOHC 4V 300hp. I seem to remember a few that have made the swap but definitely not plug and play. If you had the whole Navi to scavenge off it would be a big plus.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
Yeah, I have access to the whole vehicle, I just have to act on it before it gets crushed, which could be an indeterminate amount of time. If I understand correctly that's the DOHC version, whereas the one in the truck is going to be the SOHC version, making around 260hp instead of 300, though I imagine there is a few less electronics on the 97. Also I don't know anything about that 4R100 transmission they had in it, but being built off of the expedition I would expect it to be fairly heavy duty.

This "swap" is actually going into a 70 half-ton ford.

A friend of my uncle owns an auto recycling business so I have access to just about anything I need, as long as I get it before it gets turned into a soup can.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
I'm guessing the swap would be similar to the 4.6 swap as far as the technical details, but for some reason I'm having a hard time finding information on people who've done it.

It'd be easier for me to get the 2v out of the 97 truck, but if I'm going through all that trouble, may as well get the 4v. Hell, I may get those nice cushy leather buckets out of there while I'm at it and have them cut down :P

My other (much easier) option would be the truck siting next to it, early 90's EFI 302 :yawn: though I don't know if they changed the mounting points from the old 302's.

I should probably be posting this in the engine swap forum....

Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
ecidemon
Senior User
Not getting much feedback here, maybe the motorswap section would have been a better place? Mods?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Thread moved to the Engine Swaps forum...

It's not too hard - just have to take the wiring harness, and the PCM

For the sake of clarity, go over what the truck is, and what you plan to put in it

Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
Right now it's just a 70 F100 with a 302 in it. I've kicked around the idea of putting in a 5.0 H.O from a mustang, but I really hate to see that 32v 5.4 get crushed lol, and the 70 is about to get torn apart anyway.

Seems to me I read some time ago that the 70 model has more room between the frame rails than, say, my 76. My 76 has a 390, and I have a 73 250 with a 410. I just want something different in the 70.

My original idea was to stuff a 2v 4.6 out of an old crown vic into it, until they got this navigator in the yard with a decent looking 5.4 in it. There's also a Triton 5.4 that just came in but if i'm going through all that trouble, I want the 4v.

Might be a fools errand; probably should just find a FI 302 and put back in it. Just kind of looking for some feedback as I'm having a hard time finding any resources regarding dropping a 5.4 in or around that year of truck.

And again, I'm unfamiliar with that 4R100 transmission it's got on it. From what I understand it's what ford used to replace the C6.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM
ecidemon
Senior User
Well,I now have another option, a 4.6 out of a 96 GT mustang AT. I can get any of these for dirt cheap, So my options so far are a 5.4 32v from a Navigator, a 5.4 Triton out of a truck, and a 4.6 out of a 96 mustang. Any feedback would be great. I'm not familar enough with the first series 4.6's put in the mustangs to know if it's worth getting or not.

Keep in mind, if I don't save at least ONE of these engines, they get crushed

All of these vehicles, except the 97 truck with the triton, have been wrecked in the front so I at least know they ran prior to the sudden stop. The guy doesn't normally part out anything (seperate license), but since I know him I can get whatever parts I need.

If I can't get any feedback, I'm going to threaten to make the LT1 I have sitting out back fit into it!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
KWT2000
New User
if you can get the the wiring harness and all from the navi i would go that route, would be a cool to see.

from what i can find
97-98 2V 5.4 is 235 HP, the 4.6 has been put into those trucks several times, but something about more horse power is hard to turn down

Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
I know this is probably taboo but I've went through like 20 pages of swaps, most of which were cummins or the like, not a single thread I found with a 5.4 swap that gone beyond the "I'm thinking of...." Anyone know of any resources, message boards, ANYTHING, where I can find some more information? Right now, I've got nothing. Not anything against the boards but if you're not doing a cummins swap or some other basic engine swap, there isn't much here.

I'll likely just buy the whole navigator, use what I can, and sell the rest back to the guy. i just need some more information from someone who has done this before, but I can't find anything, and I've found some pretty obscure engine swaps.

Certainly, I'm not the only person who's wanted to/done this; Right now I have jack and **** for any additional information.

Currently it's a 70 with a flatbed and a 302 auto, I've no problems with fabrication or anything like that, I just need to see how someone else has done it so I can get some ideas on how I can do it myself.

Right now, I have nothing. Seems the swap forum should be renamed "Cummins swap forum".

ETA: The Navigator is an 01 - I don't know if it has any of those weird reluctor ring type things on the driveline like Chevrolet did or anything like that, although I will have all the electronics. Hoping someone will come a long with more information, but time is running out, only about a week before the crusher arrives.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM
ecidemon
Senior User
10.10.152.1SDA

Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
OSHS
Senior User
I've swapped the 32valve 5.4 from a Blackwood into my 99 Expedition 4x4. It was pretty easy, but then again, my late-99 Expy had nearly everything that the late-99 & up Navigators used. 1998 until late 1999 the Navigator used the same 16valve 5.4 as the Expedition.

In your case, you want to pull EVERYTHING out of the Navigator, Mustang or whatever late model vehicle you use. On the Navigator/Blackwood/Expedition, Ford used a speed sensor in the rear differential. That was for the ABS and speedo/odo. The vehicles would run fine without it, just no ABS or speedo/odo. You'll need the 4R100 trans, since the PCM talks to it with the engine, and pulls data from it. You'll also want the instrument panel/gauges. That is part of the Body Control Module. It interfaces with the Powertrain Control Module. Steering column with the ignition (and key), since it uses the PATS system. The BCM talks to the PCM when the vehicle is being cranked...when the correct PATS key is detected, the BCM tells the PCM it is ok to start.

Beyond that, you'll want everything attached to the engine (all accessories) that you plan on using (powersteering pump, AC compressor). The PCM senses load from the AC compressor and power steering pump and adjusts the idle to compensate.

With all that being said, you can and people have installed these engines in other vehicles without all of that stuff, but you will need a custom-written/tuned PCM and mods (such as getting the speed signals to the PCM) The easiest and cheapest (since you have the entire vehicle) swap is when you use everything from the donor vehicle.

It's been about 10 years since I did my 32valve swap, so there may be companies with products/solutions to make it easier.

Speaking of, my next project is to replace the 32valve 5.4 in my Expedition wth a 20valve 6.8.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM
getmesummohr
New User
I think the navigator also is an aluminum block.. This would be a cool swap I thought about putting a mark VIII motor in my 75 for a while or if I ever get myself a 50s. I know there are a lot of places that make wiring harnesses for the 4.6 as well as the 4.6 dohc the mark VIII's have, which is essentially the same as this 5.4 But like OSHS said, you want to keep EVERYTHING unless you plan on throwing down $$$ later.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:08 PM
OSHS
Senior User
The 32valve navigator block is the same as the 16valve Expedition/F-150. They used an aluminum block on the 5.4L Mustang Cobra motor. Actually, it was cast in Italy, and then Ford began to cast it themselves in the USA. That is a *rare* block!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 PM
getmesummohr
New User
Ahh yes that's my bad, I knew the mark visits used the aluminum block so I assumed navigators did the same.

Quick Reply: 5.4 out of a navigator