6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Test drove a 6.2 and wasn't impressed. Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
You guys with the tunes what are you doing in the event you have an engine issue and you need to take it to the dealer? You just swallowing the "it's not covered" if it pops up ?
I was wondering the same thing!!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You play, you pay. Have to accept that when you do it.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
You 6.2L owners aren't making this easier on me. If anyone wants to contribute, I'll run all the tests you guys need and post the results.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Megahertz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I read some where on this forum some law was passed where they couldn't void your warranty for a tuner. I can't seem to find the thread now though. Wait for the 5 years or 50k I guess. I know for some 50k comes pretty fast. Personally in 5 years I'll only have 25 to 30k on mine.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Megahertz
I thought I read some where on this forum some law was passed where they couldn't void your warranty for a tuner. I can't seem to find the thread now though. Wait for the 5 years or 50k I guess. I know for some 50k comes pretty fast. Personally in 5 years I'll only have 25 to 30k on mine.
More specifically, the manufacturer must prove the repair is a direct result of the modification in order to deny warranty coverage. Ford is pretty adept at orphaning warranty work and design defects however.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
I thought the 6.2L Super Duty was a dog also when I was testing one. I was comparing it to my Ecoboost F150. I bought one because I needed the payload, now I love the thing. The difference is that it needs to rev to make power, where the Ecoboost has all the torque and power down low. With 16000kms on it now, it really feels like its loosening up and I quite like it. Its a CC/SWB/4x4 with 3.73's and 35" rubber...

Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Amelio
Senior User
If Ford stated that a tune would not void warranty then I think everyone would have one right outta the gate. I am just gonna wait until the thing is out of warranty and let the new'ness ware off a lil. Besides its not like its horribly under powered and is terrible to drive....most of the time I do not go more than 1/4 throttle when empty I am just not in a hurry when I am in the thing. If I wanna go fast I have toys for that.

Trying to compare the performance in these big *** trucks to the eco-boost is apples and oranges imo....its hard for one thing to weight difference and anything with forced induction is gonna make more low end power.

I dont think these trucks are rockets by any means but thats not what they are for...put some weight behind them and pull and it does it very well. I know have 5,800 miles on my truck I think it runs out pretty good for a tank....from a dead stop it will roll the back tire 10 feet or so which is pretty spunky for a 7k pound truck

Never owning a Ford truck prior to this one I am still very impressed and I smile evertytime I get behind the wheel!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Big_Daddy_O
Junior User
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
More specifically, the manufacturer must prove the repair is a direct result of the modification in order to deny warranty coverage. Ford is pretty adept at orphaning warranty work and design defects however.
Just kind of curious how they could find out that you had a tuner on it? From what I have been reading is that it stores your factory tune to be able to download later on. Never had a tuner but you guys make me really want one to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy_O
Just kind of curious how they could find out that you had a tuner on it? From what I have been reading is that it stores your factory tune to be able to download later on. Never had a tuner but you guys make me really want one to see if it makes a noticeable difference.
Ford (and other carmakers) diagnostic software is able to recognize previously installed tunes at the touch of a command. Not unlike a download/upload leaving a cookie.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Lakelover
Freshman User
2011 6.2 SC 4x4 3.73 stock, I've been driving full sized fords all my life besides my Lightning this is the quickest truck for me to date and one towing beast, I pull 9000 lbs of camper over the blue ridge (8% and 9% grades) camping several times a year and I love it.

It is stock, when I first drove it, I thought it was a little weak, I was wrong its a beast!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I remember when I got my first V10 in April of 2000 after having 460 motors for years, it took a while to get used to the different power band and I'm sure when I get my 6.2 it will take a little getting used to the way it makes power.

Denny

Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hello,

I have to say one thing. I found that if I let the tranny get up to temp, the tranny is less temperamental and seem to rock the 3.73s. I was getting pretty descent launches today at over at my buddy's place. He lives on a quiet but fairly long stretch of road that is a dead end. So doing a few launches were not a problem.

On Saturday, I took the truck out with the trailer and the rear did very well with getting the trailer going and up to speed on the highway when needed. One thing I found out is when towing, I prefer manual mode over Drive with Tow haul on. Tow Haul just seems to like the rpms over less shifting. D wanted to stay in 3rd for one hill. I tried manual on the next hill and it stayed in 5th without a problem. I cannot wait until we head out to Central PA in a few weeks from now to see how the run will go.

I am pretty impressed with the 6.2 I got under the hood.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If any of you are on the fence about a programmer, I'm planning on going to the Ohio meet this year again. You folks are more than welcome to take it for a spin...

Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Amelio
Trying to compare the performance in these big *** trucks to the eco-boost is apples and oranges imo....its hard for one thing to weight difference and anything with forced induction is gonna make more low end power.
Agree 100%. The more miles I get on this 6.2L tho, the more it impresses me. With about 17000kms on it now, its really feeling good. It really likes to rev.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96sherm
Agree 100%. The more miles I get on this 6.2L tho, the more it impresses me. With about 17000kms on it now, its really feeling good. It really likes to rev.

Yeah you tend not to want to rev these things because you think its gonna makebig power low like a diesel but it does not....look at the numbers and the tq curve you gotta get the r's up and the power is there. Thats why I really love the manual trans option to keep it in a lower gear and keep the r's up and you have all the power you need.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 6.2 and wasn't impressed. Is it just me?