6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Some basic questions - Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Shaun Fed
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some basic questions - Need opinions

Hey Guys,

In about 3 weeks my new 2019 F350 will be arriving. I’ve had a 2008 6.4 liter for the last 11 years but am looking forward to the new ride. I have some questions that I would love your opinions on:
  1. I have been a long time believer that putting a motor under load is the best way to break a motor in and to seat the rings, as well as constantly varying the RPM (no highway trips on cruise during a break in). I have a trailer available, totaling approximately 25,000 lbs. How many kilometer (or miles for my US friends) would you drive before you hooked up the trailer and climbed some hills. I’m thinking around 800 kms (480 miles)? Opinions?
  2. I used Amsoil full synthetic oil for the last 9 out of 11 years I had my last truck. When do you recommend switching over to full synthetic oil? First oil change? 2nd? After a certain mileage?
  3. How often (mileage) do you change the oil? My conditions would be minimal light towing during the summer (8,000 lbs. trailer). Clean air, mostly paved roads, moderate outside air temps (19 C, 70 F). Garage parked, no cold starts.
  4. How often do you change the fuel filters under the above conditions? I used to change my fuel filters every 2nd oil change.
  5. I’ve used Stanadyne for years. Is it snake oil? Is there a better product?
  6. Has anyone installed a bypass oil filter? What are your thoughts? What brand or system did you use? Exactly where do you tie in the oil lines?
Sorry if the questions are silly. I do have my own thoughts on the above but would love to hear other opinions. I don’t have any experience with question 6. I do like the idea of it. I am a firm believer that keeping the oil and fuel clean greatly increases the longevity of a motor. I feel the EGR system is working against me is keeping the soot out of the oil. It would be nice to add a little extra filtration to the oil. Thanks Guys! LOOKING FORWARD TO THE 6.7!!!!

Shaun

Old 08-29-2019, 06:26 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I do not like to use cruise for the first 500 miles so you vary the throttle and not run at a steady constant rpm. Is this needed now days? Not sure, but is just me.

I switched to full synthetic on the first oil change on my 2015 at approx 7,000 miles. I believe the truck probably comes from the factory with 10w30 dino?

I change mine when the intelligent oil life monitor goes off at approx 7500 miles.

Fuel filters on the older truck, every second oil change for most of us, 15,000 miles. Not sure on the 2017 and up.

I use the Stanadyne in my 2015 since new. Mostly the blue label year round formula. I do use the lubricity at times instead of the performance additive. The Stanadyne is a demulsifer. It tries to get the suspended water to collect and let the fuel filter to prevent it from reaching the HPFP or the engine.

I do not see a need for the by pass oil filter. Others will swear by them. I think if one was needed, Ford would have installed it.

You can download a PDF of the 2019 owner's manual here

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_08_2019.pdf

Old 08-29-2019, 06:32 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
You can download the other manuals here

https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsands...owner-manuals/

Also, you can "register" your truck with Ford owner and get some assistance on things like sync or FSA's. You can do similar with FordPass app for the smart phone. Your dealer should have provided your with your VIN by now or soon can give it to you even before you get your truck.

Official Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owner Site Personalized Owner Information

Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM
2012F2Fiddy
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
As far as an additive Opti-lube XPD is probably the best. Some actually made the fuel worse than straight diesel!
Here's the test results although dated- still accurate.

https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../topics/177728

Old 08-29-2019, 09:22 PM
Mattm400
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I switched to full synthetic 5w-40 at 1700 miles. I plan on changing every 7500 from now on.
As for towing, the manual suggests you wait 1000 miles before towing. I've read about people towing from day one with no issues.
With the close tolerances of today's engines I personally don't think they need a long break in like the older engines did. Hope you enjoy the truck as much as I do mine. It's a total pleasure to drive.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:28 AM
skidoomatt
Cross-Country
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaun Fed
Hey Guys,

In about 3 weeks my new 2019 F350 will be arriving. I’ve had a 2008 6.4 liter for the last 11 years but am looking forward to the new ride. I have some questions that I would love your opinions on:
  1. I have been a long time believer that putting a motor under load is the best way to break a motor in and to seat the rings, as well as constantly varying the RPM (no highway trips on cruise during a break in). I have a trailer available, totaling approximately 25,000 lbs. How many kilometer (or miles for my US friends) would you drive before you hooked up the trailer and climbed some hills. I’m thinking around 800 kms (480 miles)? Opinions?
  2. I used Amsoil full synthetic oil for the last 9 out of 11 years I had my last truck. When do you recommend switching over to full synthetic oil? First oil change? 2nd? After a certain mileage?
  3. How often (mileage) do you change the oil? My conditions would be minimal light towing during the summer (8,000 lbs. trailer). Clean air, mostly paved roads, moderate outside air temps (19 C, 70 F). Garage parked, no cold starts.
  4. How often do you change the fuel filters under the above conditions? I used to change my fuel filters every 2nd oil change.
  6. Has anyone installed a bypass oil filter? What are your thoughts? What brand or system did you use? Exactly where do you tie in the oil lines?
Sorry if the questions are silly. I do have my own thoughts on the above but would love to hear other opinions. I don’t have any experience with question 6. I do like the idea of it. I am a firm believer that keeping the oil and fuel clean greatly increases the longevity of a motor. I feel the EGR system is working against me is keeping the soot out of the oil. It would be nice to add a little extra filtration to the oil. Thanks Guys! LOOKING FORWARD TO THE 6.7!!!!

Shaun
You and I are in a similar situation with the exception that I'm coming from an '02 F-250 with the 7.3. I too have a lot of the same questions and am trying to learn about the new 6.7's as well. My F-350 is due in about 2 weeks. Here's what I've learned so far from this website about your questions...

1) My thoughts are similar to your for break in, however without the load of pulling a trailer. From what I've read here....it's a toss up as to what people are doing for break-in if anything. The owners manual tells you not to tow for 1,000 miles....some adhere to that and some hook trailers to their new trucks from day one. I myself am going to follow the owners manual since I plan on have this truck for at least 15 years and don't want something creeping up on me years down the road that others may not see because they don't keep their truck that long. Most seem to say that the 1,000 miles "break-in" is more for the rear axle than the motor.

2) I too plan on running full synthetic in my 6.7....when I'm going to switch to that, I haven't yet decided. Again, the answer here on this site is all over the place. The owners manual states that the factory 10w-30 is good down to good down to 0 degrees....the 5w-40 is recommended for down to -20 degrees. I live in Michigan where it can get quite cold in the winter, so I will definately be running 5w-40 before winter. How many miles I have on by then I don't know.

3) Oil changes...seems like most follow when the computer tells them to change it, usually around 7500 miles I think. For me since my truck will be mainly used to tow my 5th wheel in the summer and not used as a daily driver....I will be changing my oil once a year regardless of mileage. l also plan on doing my first oil change around the 1000 - 1500 miles mark....do I go synthetic then or not? I haven't yet decided....most says these newer motors are ok with synthetic from day one.

4) Fuel filters...again this seems to be all over the place too....the manual recommends 22500 miles under "normal" service and 15000 miles under "severe" service. Again for my usage/miles driven per year....I'm thinking I'll just change mine once a year or every other year.

5) I've been using Power Service for quite some time in my 7.3 and I plan on running some type of additive for lubricity and anti-gel in the winter. Knowing these fuel systems are much more complicated than my 7.3 fuel system is, I think I've narrowed it down to the Ford stuff..PM22 I think it is or OptiLube. Again, you'll find answers all over the place on this as well.

6) I always wanted to do a bypass setup on my 7.3 but never got around to it. From reading on here it doesn't sound like anyone is running them on the 6.7. I like the idea of it like you mentioned, I'm just afraid of somehow negatively effecting the oil flow of such an expensive engine.

I hope this has helped some....congrats on the new truck!

Old 08-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,355 Likes on 4,615 Posts
Originally Posted by skidoomatt
You and I are in a similar situation with the exception that I'm coming from an '02 F-250 with the 7.3. I too have a lot of the same questions and am trying to learn about the new 6.7's as well. My F-350 is due in about 2 weeks. Here's what I've learned so far from this website about your questions...

1) My thoughts are similar to your for break in, however without the load of pulling a trailer. From what I've read here....it's a toss up as to what people are doing for break-in if anything. The owners manual tells you not to tow for 1,000 miles....some adhere to that and some hook trailers to their new trucks from day one. I myself am going to follow the owners manual since I plan on have this truck for at least 15 years and don't want something creeping up on me years down the road that others may not see because they don't keep their truck that long. Most seem to say that the 1,000 miles "break-in" is more for the rear axle than the motor.

2) I too plan on running full synthetic in my 6.7....when I'm going to switch to that, I haven't yet decided. Again, the answer here on this site is all over the place. The owners manual states that the factory 10w-30 is good down to good down to 0 degrees....the 5w-40 is recommended for down to -20 degrees. I live in Michigan where it can get quite cold in the winter, so I will definately be running 5w-40 before winter. How many miles I have on by then I don't know.

3) Oil changes...seems like most follow when the computer tells them to change it, usually around 7500 miles I think. For me since my truck will be mainly used to tow my 5th wheel in the summer and not used as a daily driver....I will be changing my oil once a year regardless of mileage. l also plan on doing my first oil change around the 1000 - 1500 miles mark....do I go synthetic then or not? I haven't yet decided....most says these newer motors are ok with synthetic from day one.

4) Fuel filters...again this seems to be all over the place too....the manual recommends 22500 miles under "normal" service and 15000 miles under "severe" service. Again for my usage/miles driven per year....I'm thinking I'll just change mine once a year or every other year.

5) I've been using Power Service for quite some time in my 7.3 and I plan on running some type of additive for lubricity and anti-gel in the winter. Knowing these fuel systems are much more complicated than my 7.3 fuel system is, I think I've narrowed it down to the Ford stuff..PM22 I think it is or OptiLube. Again, you'll find answers all over the place on this as well.

6) I always wanted to do a bypass setup on my 7.3 but never got around to it. From reading on here it doesn't sound like anyone is running them on the 6.7. I like the idea of it like you mentioned, I'm just afraid of somehow negatively effecting the oil flow of such an expensive engine.

I hope this has helped some....congrats on the new truck!
2) 5w40 would be good for you as you guys get colder than us in WNY.

3) the first three oil changes I did at 5k miles. But I did put on a set of FilterMags at 1100 miles. I have been using them on everything for about 20 years.

FilterMag Consumer Products | Engine Protection Since 1999

I now let the OLM tell me when to change it at usually 7200 to 7400 miles. I'm running MC 10w30 and the next oil change will be the third UOA done. I have 46800 miles.

4) the first time I changed the fuel filters was around 22k some miles. Now I go every 2nd oil change or around 15k miles or less.

5) I stand alone here in using K100. I've been using it since new, every tank. Granted it doesn't get down to sub zero here where I'm at, but it does upon occasion. No problems last winter and I didn't plug it in at all.

6) I run the FS2500 bypass filter. Mine as well as Chuck's pulls oil from the tee fitting installed on the oil pressure sensor port on the oil filter housing. No effect on oil flow at all as the fitting that returns the oil to the new oil fill cap has a small ID. Only pulls a little off at a time.

I don't push that every truck needs one or needs one to have a long life but like my user name, I subscribe to the OVERKILL mentality. And it keeps me warm at night.

Chuck-B runs the Extreme Diesel bypass. There's some others as well. Do a search for "bypass oil filter." There are threads here.

Good luck with your new trucks guys.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:00 PM
Shaun Fed
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot Guys! This has been a huge help. Definitely going to check into that Optilube XPD. I appreciate all the feedback.

Shaun

Old 08-31-2019, 03:42 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Hey Guys,

Shaun
1. I drove 1000 miles before towing anything. It wasn’t hard to do.
2. You can switch any time you like.
3. I have always gone by the IOLM. For me that translates to about 10,000 miles using MC synth blend 10W-30. Currently in excess of 120,000 miles.
4. Air and fuel filters get changed at about 30,000 miles. I’ve had a couple nasty air filters, but fuel filters have always looked really good. I also check for water once a month.
5. The only additive I’ve ever used is anti gel. During the first week of winter I add anti gel until the fuel suppliers have a chance to get caught up. Also, if I buy fuel in the south and am traveling north, I add anti gel. I’ve never felt the need to add anything else. Just make sure that whatever you add has no alcohol in it and only buy top tier fuels from reputable stations.
6. I have no strong opinion on oil bypass units, but figure they are right up there with cold air intakes.

I usually wear out the rest of the truck before the engine. Quality fuel, regular oil and filter changes, tire rotation and air pressure are the keys to achieving high mileage.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:48 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by wrvond
1. I drove 1000 miles before towing anything. It wasn’t hard to do.
2. You can switch any time you like.
3. I have always gone by the IOLM. For me that translates to about 10,000 miles using MC synth blend 10W-30. Currently in excess of 120,000 miles.
4. Air and fuel filters get changed at about 30,000 miles. I’ve had a couple nasty air filters, but fuel filters have always looked really good. I also check for water once a month.
5. The only additive I’ve ever used is anti gel. During the first week of winter I add anti gel until the fuel suppliers have a chance to get caught up. Also, if I buy fuel in the south and am traveling north, I add anti gel. I’ve never felt the need to add anything else. Just make sure that whatever you add has no alcohol in it and only buy top tier fuels from reputable stations.
6. I have no strong opinion on oil bypass units, but figure they are right up there with cold air intakes.

I usually wear out the rest of the truck before the engine. Quality fuel, regular oil and filter changes, tire rotation and air pressure are the keys to achieving high mileage.

I also use Motorcraft 10w30 but it's straight dino oil. It's not a synthetic blend.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ry=Motor%20Oil

Old 08-31-2019, 10:28 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,656 Likes on 2,737 Posts
I used Amsoil full synthetic oil for the last 9 out of 11 years I had my last truck. When do you recommend switching over to full synthetic oil? First oil change? 2nd? After a certain mileage?
You won't find AMSOil on the Ford approved list of CK-4 oils. I chose my oil from that list. I too used to use AMSOil. I eventually tired of having to put in an order and pay shipping, assuming that my Preferred Customer account was still valid. Now, I use Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme in 5w-40, which is a full synthetic. My truck is on the severe duty schedule and the 5w-40 fits with how I use my truck (towing in the mountains).

Old 09-01-2019, 08:02 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
The manual says not to tow for the first 1,000 miles. Its not for the engine its for the rear end gear set to brake in. I believe all ford vehicles come with full synthetic oil from the factory. Motors are so much better that you don't need to brake them in like the old days. I only use Motorcraft oils and filters for my truck. Sure it may be more expensive but you dont have to research and spend time looking up if it's ok to use. I spent $8,000 just for the diesel so I see no reason to skimp on parts. You used to be able to find the oil % on Sync but Ford discontinued that (sad) So I just wait for the truck to tell me when to change the oil. I buy my fuel at a place that sells lots of diesel so I know that the fuel is fresh. other than that just drive it and don't worry. it will wreck your driving experience owning the new modern diesel truck.You will love the power and how nice these trucks tow.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:09 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
If you install any type of bypass filters/devices, you will void the warranty

ford has additives for everything.....make sure you understand what they are for and when to use them

Old 09-01-2019, 10:32 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
If you install any type of bypass filters/devices, you will void the warranty

ford has additives for everything.....make sure you understand what they are for and when to use them
Well, I guess I'll further void my warranty by installing Mishimoto's direct fit oil catch can system keeping all the oil and stuff out of my intake that the factory CCV does not.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:52 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Well, I guess I'll further void my warranty by installing Mishimoto's direct fit oil catch can system keeping all the oil and stuff out of my intake that the factory CCV does not.
Yep

if you do all these mods....no warranty...but then again....if you do all these mods you might not need the warranty.

Quick Reply: Some basic questions - Need opinions