Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Senior User

lundman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
$53 gas in the diesel

Well, I should have paid more attention. Drove the new truck to the gas station and asked the attendance to fill er up. So he put in $53 of gasoline in the diesel. Then I drove it back to work, and delivered it to an employee to use the next day in town.....30 miles away. Truck stopped and wouldn't start and the employee was stuck in town.

Oh, I should tell you it wasn't my F-250 6.7 that the gas went in. It was the diesel truck at work. A new 3500 duramax diesel. I picked up the truck for the first time, and didn't bother looking to see if it was gas or diesel but just assumed it was gas. Didn't look at the gas cap when I stopped for gas, the attendant just put gas in. And there was snow on the hood of the truck so couldn't see the Duramax markings. Windows were up as cold, and man, these new diesels are quiet, just like my F-250. So when I heard it was a diesel, I had to fess up that I knew what the problem was....gas in the diesel. About 1/2 tank of it.

Result....got lucky (I think) as they drained the system with a thorough flush, and the cost was right around the $600 mark. Still I felt dumb since I drive a diesel. And that attendant at the station, man, didn't even notice the green cap I guess.

That is one of my biggest fears when getting gas. The pump handles are not always green for diesel and there is no standard color for diesel pumps ...or gas pump handles. I always find myself double checking, just in case I make a mistake. I don't like it when they have diesel and gas right side by side. I fill my truck up myself every time.

Just hope that Chev doesn't give out, especially too soon. And I took some ribs driving a diesel and all but hey, I never looked at the gas cap. So be careful guys, and especially lending your trucks out.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Senior User

my_crib_too is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.my_crib_too is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In my area, all we have is self serve. When I fill-up, I check and double check. This is very easy to do. $600 is a small price to pay.

Big of you to come here and admit this.

After almost a year of owning my truck, I just found the button that adjusts the peddles. Salesperson said the truck didn't have this option on it so I never looked. Felt real stupid when I noticed it.

bruce...

Ford 2011 F250 Crew Lariat 6.7L Diesel 4X4
F1 BakFlip, Rancho 9000s, Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer, Pop-N-Lock locking Tailgate.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Senior User

lundman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
gas in diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
In my area, all we have is self serve. When I fill-up, I check and double check. This is very easy to do. $600 is a small price to pay.

Big of you to come here and admit this.

After almost a year of owning my truck, I just found the button that adjusts the peddles. Salesperson said the truck didn't have this option on it so I never looked. Felt real stupid when I noticed it.

bruce...

Well, I did not pay for the flush. And I never put the gasoline in but the attendant did. If I had gotten out of the truck and saw the green cap I would have known. I would have thought the attendant could figure that out. I never looked at the cap but most caps say DIESEIL right on them. I still felt like it was part my fault though, just because I should have looked. And if the snow was less on the hood I would have seen the diesel decal. On the ford they are on the front side of the doors.

I think Lariats and above models have the adjusted pedals standard? Always good to read the owners manual more than once.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Elder User

cirrus365 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How can you drive a truck 30 miles and not know it was diesel?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Posting Guru

marchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant future
Wow! That's a bummer. No matter who's truck it is, it's a bad deal. I agree about the gas and diesel being sold at the same pumps. I understand why it's done, but, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

So, after the flush and fill with clean number 2, how did the Dury Diesel run? Did insurance cover the repair, or did the station? Did your company eat the cost?

Hope all works out.

2011 F-350 6.7 PSD 3:73 FX4 DRW CC Lariat Ultimate
Dark Blue Pearl Metallic, DVD Headrests, Luverne mud flaps, Access Tonneau Cover, EZ Down T/G damper,
2011 Raptor 361LEV Toyhauler 18K, Honda 1800 VTX-C, 2 Arctic Cat 700 TRV's
Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Posting Guru

marchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus365 View Post
I think it was two different people that drove it the truck. The one that drove it 30 miles isn't the same one that mis-fueled it.

2011 F-350 6.7 PSD 3:73 FX4 DRW CC Lariat Ultimate
Dark Blue Pearl Metallic, DVD Headrests, Luverne mud flaps, Access Tonneau Cover, EZ Down T/G damper,
2011 Raptor 361LEV Toyhauler 18K, Honda 1800 VTX-C, 2 Arctic Cat 700 TRV's
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Elder User

ETKMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
First off, you can't be looking for a green cap to just tell if its a diesel or not. My 08 F450 has a black cap and so do some other diesels. Doesn't the fuel gauge say "ultra low sulfur diesel"? instead you looking at the hood, fuel cap or markings?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Senior User

U235Fishin' is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.U235Fishin' is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Boy! I sure hope I don't have such a senior moment! This reinforces the value of taking a moment to stop and think.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
I would document this to HECK and back ---
this will probably come back to bite you down the road....

Injectors, filters, water separator, etc... etc... = all the little nooks and crannies that gas can hide in will create issues...

Not your fault - and you shouldn't admit it... especially to them if they filled it !
I don't think we even HAVE stations with attendants in TexUS

is this one of those local gooberment mandates forcing stations to have attendants since they KNOW we aren't smart enough to do it ourselves?
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus365 View Post

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Senior User

RedHorse1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ouch! I hate learning things at the "school of hard knocks".
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Elder User

cummins cowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
who in the world has an attendant fill the gas tank?? I haven't seen that since I was a kid, in the early 80's and even that my parents always wanted self serve so they didn't have to pay extra.

Most Wanted Disaster Services

Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Elder User

damarble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy View Post
who in the world has an attendant fill the gas tank?? I haven't seen that since I was a kid, in the early 80's and even that my parents always wanted self serve so they didn't have to pay extra.
I know at least in Oregon you have no choice, they must fill it. I try to make it through the state on one tank when traveling. When I've had my bike at least they hand the nozzle to me after they run the pump.

I'd assume there's a "Diesel Only" warning label next to the fuel cap as well, even if it's not green. This is 100% the attendants fault, do not feel guilty. He should have at least asked you what you needed. Even if it was a gas truck you might have wanted premium.
96 PSD crewcab/frame and 95 Bronco - Soon to be merged.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by damarble View Post
I know at least in Oregon you have no choice, they must fill it.
Correct and if I'm not mistaken, New Jersey is the same way. The OP's profile says he's in Canada.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior User

LabCab is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In Oregon self serve is not allowed, but a little known fact is that Diesel owners can fill their own tanks. I have a locking fuel cap and get out and unlock it and make sure that the diesel pump is used and I always top off my own tank and have never had an attendant say NO.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel